DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How long shall a Mavic Air, Mavic Pro, Or Mavic 2 Last? Without any Crash of course!

You may want to pay attention to where you type in responding- it is very confusing when you type within the quoted text. I don't agree with your suggestion that my comment might only apply to well off hobbyist. If you can pony up for your first mavic/phantom you will progress to later models if you have a genuine interest in the hobby.

It’s a comment actually. It wasn’t even a suggestion.
My apology for responding under your own quote.
My intention of opening this thread is to gather information and conclude at the end base from the other pilots and users experiences from their UAC’s.

Reactions: BigAl07
Mavic Pro 2 years old over 1400 flights. This machine gets pushed to it's limit 4-5 times a day weather permitting. Done over 7000 km.
Still fly's like it's new.
See airdata stats, kept deleting flights to keep under my 1200 limit.
Compass #1 failed about a year ago after a hard landing, but despite the constant warnings of it's failure the drone keeps going, uses compass #2.

I have retired 5 batteries as they started to swell a little from my harsh treatment.

It's a workhorse..Screenshot_20190701-112620_Samsung%20Internet.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: lolo780 and AbUAVdC
4 to 5 flights a day? Are you a commercial videogeapher or just a hard core hobbyist??

Mavic Pro 2 years old over 1400 flights. This machine gets pushed to it's limit 4-5 times a day weather permitting. Done over 7000 km.
Compass #1 failed about a year ago after a hard landing, but despite the constant warnings of it's failure the drone keeps going, uses compass #2.

I have retired 5 batteries as they started to swell a little from my harsh treatment.

It's a workhorse..View attachment 76694

It's a workhorse..View attachment 76694

How’s your battery charging style? Do you mind sharing us your insights?

I use the RC Geek charger which automatically storage charges. Top off before flying and never leave the packs fully charged. Store in the coolest part of the basement, never in a hot car. Always cool fully before field charging, and slow charge unless I'm in a rush.

Don't push the batteries when cold, and in low temperatures I always preheat them. Watch voltage sag just like flying FPV racers. After 200+ cycles my oldest packs are still able to go 30k ft (60k round trip) no problem.

Do you mind answering this or give us your style in charging your batteries?

Reactions: AbUAVdC
I use the RC Geek charger which automatically storage charges. Top off before flying and never leave the packs fully charged. Store in the coolest part of the basement, never in a hot car. Always cool fully before field charging, and slow charge unless I'm in a rush.

Don't push the batteries when cold, and in low temperatures I always preheat them. Watch voltage sag just like flying FPV racers. After 200+ cycles my oldest packs are still able to go 30k ft (60k round trip) no problem.

Appreciate your detailed answer Bro. Your experience will definitely help more newbie Uac owners here!
It’s a great help indeed!
I got the 2 months old MP. I charged all the packs to ? %. Store them and use it when i needed them. No top off. Room
temp looks good at 22 deg. Your styles proves your 1400 flight! No doubt about it. thanks for sharing..

Batteries are used when temp is over 18 deg c. I have battery alarm at 30% and rarely go down past 25%. Only charge when cooled. I fly very early in morning, usually just before sunrise. I have 5 batteries on the go. They are all charged that morning ready for next day's flying. I fly everyday.
I have only used the factory charger, except for a handfull of times when i used my Energen 360 which is quicker.
Battery #4 is as old as drone and has about 220 charges. Battery #5 started to swell a bit after a late race back to home in strong winds. It landed at 4% and was throwing a big cell deviation in cell 3, of which it didn't recover during next 5 or so flights. Batteries 1,2,3 were retired at about 190 charges each because they started to swell, it wasn't bad swelling but you never know what might happen. All the retired batteries still charge up ok and still work fine.
I have the mavic running higher top speed which gives me an average flight time of 11-13 mins, and gives me a distance of 8-11km. I'm certain this is the reason for the swelling, hottest battery temp recorded is 66 deg c.
Hope this helps

How’s your battery charging style? Do you mind sharing us your insights?

Years. I think it's been 4-5 years since I got my Phantom P3P and it's still going strong (the one I didn't lose in the sea, that is -- I had two). The batteries are still good too.

It will depend a lot of factors, like how much down time you have per year due to weather. I am just below the N48th parallel, so I don't fly much in the winter. But if you're much closer to the equator, you may get in more hours per year than I do. You also may take hiatus periods that have nothing to do with weather (job, life, etc.).

The batteries have a finite life, so follow the recommendations re: storage that you keep reading about here to extend their life.

Other things wear out too, such as the motors, especially if you fly in a dusty / dirty environment. Replace props when they're damaged.

So if you keep replacing batteries and motors, it could last a very long time.

Anecdote: I was flying on a jetliner once and wondered aloud how old the plane was. The guy next to me knew the aircraft type and typical maintenance and said something like "It's old enough that critical parts such as the engines and landing gear have all been replaced. The fuselage, on the other hand, could be very old". That made me worry.

Chris

PS The DJI Phantom 3 ACs had problems with shell cracks (early shells were replaced free of charge, but older ones still had issues). I have mine touched up with super-glue at points that display stress-crack growth. I have not heard that the Mavic has that kind of problem though.
To your point on actual aircraft; I worked in the Aerospace industry for over 30 years up till retirement this year and can tell you that passenger airplanes last in the neighborhood of 25+ years with millions of miles. It's true that they do replace engines and overhaul them every 6 years completely tearing them down to the structure replacing and repairing everything they find wrong. You should rest assured airlines are meticulous with attention to detail and take their jobs very seriously.
Years. I think it's been 4-5 years since I got my Phantom P3P and it's still going strong (the one I didn't lose in the sea, that is -- I had two). The batteries are still good too.

It will depend a lot of factors, like how much down time you have per year due to weather. I am just below the N48th parallel, so I don't fly much in the winter. But if you're much closer to the equator, you may get in more hours per year than I do. You also may take hiatus periods that have nothing to do with weather (job, life, etc.).

The batteries have a finite life, so follow the recommendations re: storage that you keep reading about here to extend their life.

Other things wear out too, such as the motors, especially if you fly in a dusty / dirty environment. Replace props when they're damaged.

Anecdote: I was flying on a jetliner once and wondered aloud how old the plane was. The guy next to me knew the aircraft type and typical maintenance and said something like "It's old enough that critical parts such as the engines and landing gear have all been replaced. The fuselage, on the other hand, could be very old". That made me worry.

Chris

PS The DJI Phantom 3 ACs had problems with shell cracks (early shells were replaced free of charge, but older ones still had issues). I have mine touched up with super-glue at points that display stress-crack growth. I have not heard that the Mavic has that kind of problem though.

Chris

To your point on actual aircraft; I worked in the Aerospace industry for over 30 years up till retirement this year and can tell you that passenger airplanes last in the neighborhood of 25+ years with millions of miles. It's true that they do replace engines and overhaul them every 6-10 years completely tearing them down to the structure replacing and repairing everything they find wrong. You should rest assured airlines are meticulous with attention to detail and take their jobs very seriously. Slightly off topic but I thought people might be interested.

I have over 2400 miles 600hrs on my mavic half that on a spark as long as you don't crash them they will last years and years. I have numerous other non dji aircraft with the same reliability.

I fly a lot. Ive had mavic since about the time they were first released and flown hundreds of miles and had a few minor crashes. Still going strong.

Reactions: AbUAVdC
I have over 2400 miles 600hrs on my mavic half that on a spark as long as you don't crash them they will last years and years. I have numerous other non dji aircraft with the same reliability.
This is quite a good working hours!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Olga