DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How low are aircraft allowed to fly?

If you could get the numbers, it might be worth a call to the FAA. I’m sure there are cowboy pilots just like there are some wildly unsafe UA pilots who give us a bad name. I hope you get this resolved.

If he lost power there is no where for him to go, if he is lucky and could glide 1-2 miles he may reach a lake, but at sub 200 feet I don't think its even possible.
Single engine aircraft have a glide ratio between 8:1 and 10:1.
From 200 feet, just 2000 ft would be a stretch.

I reported the low flyer in my area 200 feet off the deck the faa had a talk with him. Now he flying way more like he should 500feet.

An altitude of 500 feet above the surface, except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In those cases, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.

Cheers!

Single engine aircraft have a glide ratio between 8:1 and 10:1.
From 200 feet, just 2000 ft would be a stretch.
Most GA accidents occur below 2500', At 500' any mechanical issue or pilot error probably not allow a recovery.

Cheers!

He was braking the rules I flew ultralight aircraft I know what he can do and not do.He was playing unsafely just off the tree tops.

I normally would let something like this slide, sometimes people make mistake or just saying hello to friend that lives area. This is at least once a week during this past summer. I didn't know the regulations. Next time he is out Im going to try to get the numbers but its hard when he is at speed and shooting across my yard. Not even high enough to visually see him for more that 3-4 seconds. Thanks

I live in a congested area ,yellow coded on a sectional chart. There is a red Cessna that flies barely 50 ft over the tree lines over my house at least once a week. The trees in my back yard are 135-150ft high. This guy is clearing them by barely 50 feet if he is lucky. I rarely fly very high in my neighborhood just to not annoy my neighbors but I sometimes like to peak up and take a few shots of my home. I can't imagine what would happen if this idiot is flying in the way he does. He is so low that there is barely any noise before he is overhead then suddenly appearing out of the trees sounding like a Harley shaking my windows in the frames. The closest private airport is 8 miles away. There is no way he is making an approach to land. He is over my house so quickly I can never get a photo of his tail number. What's the best way to track this plane down? Is this reportable to the FAA?

Drones get reported daily for not following safe practices. I always yield or get out the sky when I hear a manned aircraft but this is crazy. Even though I am part 107 certified I know 100% that if there was some type of collision the media would blame the UAS pilot but at what point is it the manned aircrafts fault. There has to be a line somewhere. I go out of my way not to annoy people from the noise of the UAS, but this guy can shake the windows off every house in the neighborhood and no one bats an eye. If he lost power there is no where for him to go, if he is lucky and could glide 1-2 miles he may reach a lake, but at sub 200 feet I don't think its even possible.
Absolutely reportable. You might check the Flight Radar 24 app and see if he's using ADS-B which should give you the tail number.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Photogeezer