DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How many batteries do you use?

I guess it depends on what you are flying and what your mission is.

I started with a Spark in 2017 and with a flight time around 12-15 minutes, it didn't take long for me to accumulate nine batteries so I could enjoy some flights.

Today I'm flying the MA2 and have four batteries.

With longer flight time, I don't need as many batteries.

I have room in my case for a fifth battery but happy with four so far.

I've got four for my Mavic 2, which I think has the same flight time as the Air2. Was going to get another, but I got a Mini 3 and mostly fly that now. I have seven for the Mini 3: three standard and four extended.

(Wanted four standard, three extended, but after buying two extended batteries to go with my Mini 3 and standard Fly-More kit (on back-order) my local shop was only able to get extended Fly-Mores, so I had to upgrade by standard Fly-More to and extended and buy a couple more standard batteries.)

I rarely fly for long enough to want more than 3-4 batteries at a time, mostly because I like golden hour and it doesn't last that long. I usually start each flight with a fresh battery.

4 here, and so far I’ve never felt like that wasn’t enough. I did buy a quad charger with a 12v (cigarette lighter) adapter, and have used that to charge while driving between shooting locations, and that feels like a reasonable compromise to spending a fortune on more batteries that I wouldn’t use super often. I have 3 for my Mini2 and that’s plenty because I don’t use it very much and it’s more of a backup.

The way I look at it, is that it depends on your goal. Search and Rescue, ten with two four bay charges, to allow a rotation of constant flying while charging. Hobby flying three this allows for an hour of performance flying. Inspection five to six mostly for just backup and it assumes you’re traveling for most jobs. Real Estate Photographer, four mostly for backup.

for me 4 per drone is a nice manageable number, which should i take all three drones out for a days flying ,would give me plenty of air time

For a site visit, I tend to use at least two and I have three total. Also I don't run down the battery much lower than 20~30% (or 10 minutes estimated flight time remaining, whichever comes first), I usually come back, land, and pop in a new battery and go back out. As a result I'm planning out what I want to do before I head out there so that kind of cuts down the looking around and eating battery that way.

If I'm visiting multiple locations, I'll usually have the earliest used battery charging en route but I also wait maybe half an hour after it has been on the charger before I pop it into the drone to discharge in flight. As opposed to just grabbing it straight from charging. I use a power inverter and the DJI Charger when charging en route as opposed to something that goes directly from the 12V socket.

I'd like to get a 4th battery so that I can just cycle the rotation if I'm commonly using two per site but at nearly $100 a pop I'm ok with 3 for now.

I have a M2Z and I carry 6. Plus I also carry a portable AC charging pack. I've noticed that M2 batteries are getting harder to find, so I just bought 2 more. I think it's worthy to note that while I have 6 batteries, I don't charge all them for each job.

I guess 4 batteries is the sweet spot. Even if you need to fly continuously by the time you use your 4th battery, the 1st one is already charged.

Reactions: gordonglg
thats the trick too. your not supposed to charge hot batteries. so when you get done flying your first its a bad idea to throw it right onto the charger.
When back in the days that is true, as trick I used to put the batteries in a metal surface to dissipate the heat quickly, however the new DJI batteries has built in protections for this and throttle down the charging speed to avoid damage in case they are too hot.

When back in the days that is true, as trick I used to put the batteries in a metal surface to dissipate the heat quickly, however the new DJI batteries has built in protections for this and throttle down the charging speed to avoid damage in case they are too hot.
i still never charge a hot one right after a flight. too each their own though

So, when I got my Air 2S, it came with 3 in the Fly More Combo. I immediately wanted to buy another, but they don't sell the same (Slightly advanced) battery. Only the ones that came with the Air 2. Is that what you have as your extras?
The Air2s and Air 2 use the exact same battery AFAIK.

Reactions: marshvet
Actually, with the newer models (I got mine in 12/21) the battery is a BWX232-3750-11.04. 12.6v. 3750MaH, 11.04v, 41.4wH.
The only ones available to buy are: PB2-3500MaH-11.55v. 13.2v. 3500mAH. 11.55v. 40.42wH.
So, in fact, they are different.
I just received a brand new battery from DJI for my 2S, it was an Air 2 battery on the box. The two batteries perform exactly the same and are completely interchangeable. Both batteries are "advanced" Intelligent Flight Batteries.

Reactions: marshvet

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d