DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How many batteries to get

Montypaks

Reactions
So just about to order my mp! What's the recommended number of batteries to get

The charging station having only 4 docks could signify that one should get 4 batteries...
But the controller only lasts 60mins on a charge which is 3 batteries meaning to even use the 4th battery, you'll need to recharge the controller which kinda defeats the purpose.

So my current order includes 3 batteries in total... What are you guys running, and how have you set it up?

Cheers

Reactions: mkdive
I have the 4 dock charging station and a total of three batteries. I also purchased a cheap car charger on eBay that goes into a lighter socket. This setup has met my needs to date. I think you will find that you will get more than three flights out of the battery in the controller. I have a high end battery pack (was $300) that I can plug the factory Mavic charger into to have a charged battery faster, but unless you have a need for it, probably not worth the expense.

I have 7 total and it seems to be the perfect amount for me. Usually need to put the ipad and controller back on the charger when finished withe the last flight.

I wouldn't get more than three until you see if you are likely to need them.
Typically a short flight won't even use half the battery but there isn't enough power left to do anything at all ambitious in a second flight.
If you have in vehicle charging three will more or less keep you going.
I find the sheer amount of video you get to look through and edit from three flights in one day or outing is quite sufficient, especially since best results typically include sequences from another camera.

So just about to order my mp! What's the recommended number of batteries to get

The charging station having only 4 docks could signify that one should get 4 batteries...
But the controller only lasts 60mins on a charge which is 3 batteries meaning to even use the 4th battery, you'll need to recharge the controller which kinda defeats the purpose.

So my current order includes 3 batteries in total... What are you guys running, and how have you set it up?

Cheers

You can do more than 3 batteries with the RC ! For sure ! At least one or 2 more

I'm a hobbyist, I fly about every other day. After I'm done with 2 batteries, which is something like 40 minutes of flying, I've pretty much seen and filmed or shot all I can. I am in an urban environment and if I try to even remotely keep it within line of sight there's really only so far I can go.

After 40 minutes I'm ready to head home, grab a beer, and see what I captured. Then recharge the batteries and think of where to go the next time I head out. I'm not bored after 40 minutes or anything, but plenty satisfied.

I carry 5 batteries. It seems to be the right number. My RC is usually at 35-45% and iPad at 40-50% by the time I reach my 5th battery (20-22min flights).

Everyones situation is different but I'll give you my years of thought on this matter...

You can fly with one battery but it's not really practical. If you only wanted to take a few photos and either have planned it all out or don't really care what you get, one battery might work. I don't recommend having just one battery if you can afford a second. I'd recommend a second battery over any other purchase. Two batteries is a good number to have. If a person is on a budget, two batteries is enough. It's basically a second chance to get a good photo or video and it allows you to fly in two different areas without having access to a charger and waiting an hour. So two batteries is enough or doable. I fine that three batteries tend to be the sweet spot. I seldom find myself using more than two unless I'm getting several spots for flying. I'd say I use two batteries 70% of the time and three batteries 20% of the time. I think three is the best bang for your buck. I'd also recommend trying three batteries only only buy more once you know three won't work for you. Yes, having more than three can't be bad and is only better but I'd say in most cases most people are loosing value at that point. I'd say having four or even five is going to just cost too much money for the return you get from their use.

For those who have 5, 6, 7, 10 batteries... good for you. I'm sure you need them and put them to good use. You are probably also the few that need that many. My advise is for most people.

I've love to have 20 or 30 batteries, that would be great. But I'd never use them all at one time (it would only serve to make them all last longer) so I would not get my moneys worth.

So:
1= save your money and get another
2= doable and would address 70% of most people's use (not 70% of fliers)
3= sweet spot
4 or 5 = might be slight over-kill but you know you are never going to want for a charged battery
6+ = only needed by a very few people or people who have no issue paying more for batteries than the Mavic. Professional use.

Have 3 with the fly more package, just picked up another battery a couple of days ago.
Can charge them up on the 4 station charger the night before heading out for a fy, and if wanted I could easily top one off with the dji car charger too.
But I think the controller would be pretty low after 4 full flights anyway.
Of course the controller can also be tipped off pretty quickly driving to another destination, so in reality you could fly very often if travelling by vehicle.

You can get the use time of 4 batteries down to around 20% - which is a good safety margin - on one RC charge. For this reason I recommend getting the Fly More Combo, plus 1 more battery. This will give you the charging hub, the car charger, and a bag (which I don't use, but it's ok). This set-up works well for me.

Reactions: steebchen
I have for four, fly them all down to 20% or so and the RC and iPad still have battery left.

Reactions: Islandguy27
Three batteries and an inexpensive car charger got me through an entire day of flying last week and I still went home with two fully charged batteries at the end of the day. I could maybe see how a fourth would be handy to make up the time it takes for the battery to cool before recharging it, but I had a five-minute drive between each shooting location so three was sufficient.

I have for four, fly them all down to 20% or so and the RC and iPad still have battery left.

I agree, I have four also and I just flew yesterday and used all four during my flying outing. When I finished my controller still had a little more than 50% batt left. An hour of flying in one location is plenty.

I think that fourth battery is to charge your phone or the remote. You'll probably need to order two batteries to get the intended flight time of having four.

I think that fourth battery is to charge your phone or the remote. You'll probably need to order two batteries to get the intended flight time of having four.
This is not my experience at all. Plus (and I just noticed this recently) the remote actually trickle charges my OnePlus3 phone while I fly, so the phone doesn't lose any charge.

I do carry an Anker power bank that I use for other purposes, and if I needed to I could charge the RC with that -- for instance if I was using more drone batteries ie 6 or 8. The power bank could charge the RC completely while I was taking a break for lunch. It doesn't have the amperage to charge the drone batteries, but it works fine for the RC.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lboogie007