DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How many extension and folding cycles do we get before failure.

PropSpin

Reactions
Anybody ever wonder how many times the mavic arms can be extended and folded before either the joints start to wear out and/or the cabling starts to fatigue and the wires start to break? I'm sure that DJI has a mean time before failure somewhere, wonder what it is.

The mean time before failure for the folding system is 5000 uses according to DJI.
hmm, thanks.

So if I fold/unfold 5 times a day, everyday, that gives my roughly 2 years, 9 months. I guess that'll do.

Anybody experienced folding system failure yet? If so, how many years of ownership and what amount of usage? Light, moderate, or heavy?

hmm, thanks.

So if I fold/unfold 5 times a day, everyday, that gives my roughly 2 years, 9 months. I guess that'll do.

Anybody experienced folding system failure yet? If so, how many years of ownership and what amount of usage? Light, moderate, or heavy?

I have serviced drones for members who have 1000+ flights on their drones, and no sign of wear on the hinge pins that contain the springs that hold the arms open and closed.

The only time that I have ever seen a spring or hinge pin fail, was after a crash. Despite that, the arms usually stay attached to the drone.

Short version, the hinge pins and springs will probably last indefinitely. If you start getting hitches in the smooth movement, it's something that can be repaired fairly inexpensively for all 4 arms.

I have serviced drones for members who have 1000+ flights on their drones, and no sign of wear on the hinge pins that contain the springs that hold the arms open and closed.

The only time that I have ever seen a spring or hinge pin fail, was after a crash. Despite that, the arms usually stay attached to the drone.

Short version, the hinge pins and springs will probably last indefinitely. If you start getting hitches in the smooth movement, it's something that can be repaired fairly inexpensively for all 4 arms.
So that's the pivot mechanism, but I wonder about the wiring for the motors and LEDs. Doesn't seem like they get a lot of bending, but there's still enough to cause some level of fatigue to the copper wiring over time.

So that's the pivot mechanism, but I wonder about the wiring for the motors and LEDs. Doesn't seem like they get a lot of bending, but there's still enough to cause some level of fatigue to the copper wiring over time.

On the fronts, there is braiding on the wire harness all the way from the tip of the arms motor connection, all the way past the front hinge pin, so no way for the wires to get frayed. In addition, the harness has plenty of play in it, no tension, so theres only very gradual bending near the folding mechanism, but not nearly enough to cause any kink in the wires. DJI wires are extremely good quality, and actually have a soft conformal coating on them to protect them in addition to the exterior heat shrink wrap.

The rears are even less prone to wire damage while folding and unfolding. The wires are twisted at the factory before they are installed in the rear arms. When you fold the arm in, the wires twist as one unit, 1/2 a turn. There is alot of play in the rears too, Ive never seen any wires broken or worn from folding.

Again, the only damage you will ever see will not be from folding 1,000 times. It will be from a hard landing where one of the front hinge pins are bent or broken, or in the rear where one of the flaps covering the rear arm joint has cracked. This is on the MP and MPP. The M2 takes it one step further and actually has wire guides on the ESC board to hold the wires in their place in addition to being soldered. The ESC board is a work of art and looks custom, even though it's mass produced.

Probably more information than you ever wanted to know about hinge pins, but thats my job, its what I do.

Last edited:
I never folf / unfold mine. I had a case made that holds the bird ready to fly. Also holds my RC with the CrystalSky attached.
I got tired of having to unfold it even to remove or change the battery.
I figure less wear and tear on the moving parts, plus faster deploy.

Attachments

• a2.JPG
    a2.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 83
  • a3.jpg
    a3.jpg
    997.3 KB · Views: 85
I never folf / unfold mine. I had a case made that holds the bird ready to fly. Also holds my RC with the CrystalSky attached.

If anyone else wanted to get that case, care to share?

Nice case!

@Thunderdrones I'm sure the Mavic Air is of similar construction to what you have described on the Mavic Pro and 2... is that a safe assumption to make?

Well, the wires are safe, but the Airs arms are a little more delicate than the MP, MPP and M2. Those blasted foldable, color coded landing legs in the front are going to be the death of me. You cant replace them if damaged unless you replace the whole arm. Wish they were replaceable by themselves, but the pins inside the little legs are integrated into the arm. Cant get the pin out. I hate it because I have to end up charging customers for a whole arm just to replace the little legs.

Short version, be very, very, very careful landing your Mavic Air because if you break that little leg up front, you will need a whole new arm. There's always glue (joking)

Well, the wires are safe, but the Airs arms are a little more delicate than the MP, MPP and M2. Those blasted foldable, color coded landing legs in the front are going to be the death of me. You cant replace them if damaged unless you replace the whole arm. Wish they were replaceable by themselves, but the pins inside the little legs are integrated into the arm. Cant get the pin out. I hate it because I have to end up charging customers for a whole arm just to replace the little legs.

Short version, be very, very, very careful landing your Mavic Air because if you break that little leg up front, you will need a whole new arm. There's always glue (joking)

LOL!

Well I wasn't planning to crash land lol... good to know..... also good to know I have someone local that can repair these things if that is ever needed.

Well I wasn't planning to crash land lol... good to know..... also good to know I have someone local that can repair these things if that is ever needed.

If you dont have them already, you can get a set of leg extenders. They might spread the load around if the Air takes a hit to one of the front gear. You just want to avoid breaking those folding legs as much as possible.

From eBay seacrh:

PGYTECH Extended Landing Gear Heightened Legs Protector For DJI Mavic Air Drone

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J