DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How Many Mini-2 Batteries do you Have?

moldorf

Reactions
was curious....I have 4. That seems like a lot but at times I wish I had 5 (and may order it soon). Mainly because I spend a lot of time dry camping with my 5th wheel and I end up charging batteries and devices off of the 12 volt system. That's a lot slower charging time...as in 3-4 hours for the battery. Maybe more if it's really low

I just wanted to know if I should be embarrassed by my battery collection....:)

Are you using a high amp output USB charger? This one should match the rate of the DJI brick. 12v usb
yeah, I installed a 5v/2.4a charger in the 5th wheel running off the 12V power. I think in this case, patience is a virtue. There are 4 outlets on the charger and I can just plug things in at night

it's amazing how many devices we take camping that require charging. I have a phone I use as an e-reader (and mini-tablet with wifi...no sim card) my wife has her phone and IPad. I have a Samsung tablet; also a rechargeable lighter for the propane range.; and rechargeable flashlights; a rechargeable camera. Now, I have drone fever so I have several drone batteries to recharge; plus the controller; plus the Tripltek tablet I use instead of a phone because I can actually see it in the sun

when I was 20 I'd go camping with a sleeping bag, tent, igloo cooler, hot dogs and beer. That was enough

I only have 3 batteries for my mini 2 and for my needs I find this quantity more than enough ... with these batteries I usually fly 54 minutes total landing with still 36% of remaining battery.

Reactions: Bob in Savannah
was curious....I have 4. That seems like a lot but at times I wish I had 5 (and may order it soon). Mainly because I spend a lot of time dry camping with my 5th wheel and I end up charging batteries and devices off of the 12 volt system. That's a lot slower charging time...as in 3-4 hours for the battery. Maybe more if it's really low

I have 10, 9 from the three Mini-2 Fly More kits, and one from the Mini-SE that I bought, which is the identical battery.

I have a charging bank consisting of the three charging hubs that came with the Fly Mores. I rotate the batteries that I use, independent of which Mini is next up on the flight roster, so they all get used, and regularly cycled.

The Mini-1 batteries are different. I have three of them with the used Fly More Combo that I bought.

You can never have too many batteries!

:cool:

3 batteries, plenty of juice for me. I normally fly mornings and evenings exclusively for the best light, 3 batteries are more than I need. I'm not a drone enthusiast for the sake of flying, I come from photography and I use the drone the capture aerial footage at golden hours ...

I have 5. I always bring 4 when I fly and rotate them around so they discharge almost fully, then recharge them.
I put labels 1,2,3 etc so I can tell them apart.

Three for the Mini, four for the Mavic 2 Pro. Basically a full charger load for each :)

I use the M2P when hiking and usually run through 3-4 batteries on a 3-5 hour hike. (With breaks for flying.) I'm risk-averse, so usually get about 20 minutes from a battery before landing.

The Mini is used in built-up areas and controlled airspace (where the M2P isn't legal). Shorter flights and not as far from me, but also much more affected by wind — I'm getting about 10 minutes before returning.

(As a side note, I really hate that Fly seems to have hidden the battery gauge. White letters on a bright sky suck.)

Reactions: zonurben
.... I end up charging batteries and devices off of the 12 volt system. That's a lot slower charging time...as in 3-4 hours for the battery. Maybe more if it's really low

The 120v charger that comes with the drone is a USB-C PD charger. It is 18W and can charge at 5, 9, or 12 volts per the PD spec. Most assuredly it is charging at 9v 2A for 18W. Your charger that you hook to 12v battery is charging at 5V and maybe 2.4A for 12W, but at the lower voltage. So it takes a much longer time. You can get a USB PD charger for 12v (cigarette lighter type). I think that would solve your problem. Or get a little inverter for your 12v battery and plug the DJI charger into that.

running off the 12V power.

If I am interpreting this correctly, you have plugged the charger into an outlet that is 120V AC. That Plug is getting it's power from the 12V Battery, that means there is an Inverter changing the 12V DC to 120V AC, and then the charger turns it to 5v/2.4a DC (well that is what the charger may be rated at...)

So the question is how many Watts is the Inverter rated for? If it is not rated for high enough, like is it only rated to power a laptop, it may not be putting out as much power as you think...

Think about it like this, if you have a two D-Size (1-1/2V each) batteries in a flashlight, that flashlight is putting out 3V. That's what happens when you hook up batteries in Series (Pos to Neg to Pos to Neg...). Now, if your flashlight had 8-batteries in it, it would have 12 volts... Now just try to start your truck with that... It may have 12 volts, but it will have only about one milliamp, it would light your flashlight but that's about all....

Check your inverter...

If I am interpreting this correctly, you have plugged the charger into an outlet that is 120V AC. That Plug is getting it's power from the 12V Battery, that means there is an Inverter changing the 12V DC to 120V AC, and then the charger turns it to 5v/2.4a DC (well that is what the charger may be rated at...)

So the question is how many Watts is the Inverter rated for? If it is not rated for high enough, like is it only rated to power a laptop, it may not be putting out as much power as you think...

Think about it like this, if you have a two D-Size (1-1/2V each) batteries in a flashlight, that flashlight is putting out 3V. That's what happens when you hook up batteries in Series (Pos to Neg to Pos to Neg...). Now, if your flashlight had 8-batteries in it, it would have 12 volts... Now just try to start your truck with that... It may have 12 volts, but it will have only about one milliamp, it would light your flashlight but that's about all....

Check your inverter...
there is no inverter, only a converter (16 year old 5th wheel), and I didn't tie into the 110/120V AC system. It's a self contained RV and we boondock/dry-camp most of the time so the 110/120V system has no power. All 12V

I installed the USB charger directly to a 12V line so I'd always have an active port. The ports are 5V/2.1amp so that's 10 watts

I bought a 50,000mha power bank that charges at 20W, so I'll likely used that to charge the drone batteries. The USB charger I installed has green lights when it's on and my wife hates that at night. So I'll use power banks at night and recharge the power banks during the day

there is no inverter, only a converter (16 year old 5th wheel), and I didn't tie into the 110/120V AC system.

When I RV'd back in the late '90s and early '00s, I installed a 4000W inverter into the camper's 120V AC system. When we boondocked and did have not access to 120V AC, I switched on the inverter and it converted the multi-battery hookup from 24V to 120V so we could still use the microwave and other 120V accessories as needed. The refrigerator used either propane, 12V AC, or 120V AC (we ran the frig on propane most of the time…

However, I am still not sure of what you did. Is your charger connected directly onto your 12V battery?

Your charger's output is 5v/2.4a, what does it say the charger says it needs for input?

I charge my 3-batteries in the DJI Charging Hub and this is the Adapter I use to plug it into the wall. It will only put out 5V-2A if I input 100-240V.

I am not trained in electronics and Ohm's Law and it's relationship to the use of an inverter and changing the AC to DC. But just using Ohm's Law, inputting only 12V into my converter would only yield approximately 1/2V and charging my batteries at this rate would take several days…

20220619_162223.jpg

When I RV'd back in the late '90s and early '00s, I installed a 4000W inverter into the camper's 120V AC system. When we boondocked and did have not access to 120V AC, I switched on the inverter and it converted the multi-battery hookup from 24V to 120V so we could still use the microwave and other 120V accessories as needed. The refrigerator used either propane, 12V AC, or 120V AC (we ran the frig on propane most of the time…

However, I am still not sure of what you did. Is your charger connected directly onto your 12V battery?

Your charger's output is 5v/2.4a, what does it say the charger says it needs for input?

I charge my 3-batteries in the DJI Charging Hub and this is the Adapter I use to plug it into the wall. It will only put out 5V-2A if I input 100-240V.

I am not trained in electronics and Ohm's Law and it's relationship to the use of an inverter and changing the AC to DC. But just using Ohm's Law, inputting only 12V into my converter would only yield approximately 1/2V and charging my batteries at this rate would take several days…

View attachment 150359

I attached the charger directly to the 12 cable in a wall. Tiny remodel.

I have a 45 amp controller on my battery system. I have 3 usb plug pairs on the charger. 5V/4.2amp, so 2.1 amps per socket. Theoretically that should yield 10watts. I have already tested charging three Mini3 batteries on that charger. They were all under 30%. It took about 7 hours (could have been less) to charge all 3 batteries. I don't have the electrical math to calculate what the actual volts delivered by the charger were

I have three from the Mini 2 Fly More combo.
So far I haven´t felt the need for more.
I also have them labeled 1, 2 and 3 and rotate them for flying and charging.
Still have to come up with a foolproof system to remember which battery I used last time when storing them in the bag.

I also have them labeled 1, 2 and 3 and rotate them for flying and charging.
Still have to come up with a foolproof system to remember which battery I used last time when storing them in the bag.
I also have three batteries and I numbered mine. But charging them one at a time using my Mini 2 was such a pain, and I did not like leaving my Drone out or having to handle it each and every time a Battery needed changing during the charging process. So I bought a Charging Hub off eBay (Free Shipping) from a DJI authorized vender.

After I evened up the charging times on the batteries, I start off using the batteries in this series, 1 then 2 then 3… and I always take the batteries from the right side of the Hub…

In the top photo, I will use the batteries in order: 1, 2, and then 3.

If I use only use one or two batteries when flying the next unused battery gets put into the Right Side of the Hub and the used batteries get put in the Hub in numerical order.

In the bottom photo, I flew using two batteries, and the Number 3 did not get used so I put into the Right Side of the Hub and it is the next to go first when I fly again…

So, the next time I fly, I will use Number 3, then number 1, and finally number 2. If I use all three, I will once again resequencing them to 1, 2, 3…

I hope it makes sense to you; it makes sense to me…. Some folks say that if your talk to your plants, you are crazy; I say you are only crazy if you think the plants talk back…

battery.jpg

I also have three batteries and I numbered mine. But charging them one at a time using my Mini 2 was such a pain, and I did not like leaving my Drone out or having to handle it each and every time a Battery needed changing during the charging process. So I bought a Charging Hub off eBay (Free Shipping) from a DJI authorized vender.

After I evened up the charging times on the batteries, I start off using the batteries in this series, 1 then 2 then 3… and I always take the batteries from the right side of the Hub…

In the top photo, I will use the batteries in order: 1, 2, and then 3.

If I use only use one or two batteries when flying the next unused battery gets put into the Right Side of the Hub and the used batteries get put in the Hub in numerical order.

In the bottom photo, I flew using two batteries, and the Number 3 did not get used so I put into the Right Side of the Hub and it is the next to go first when I fly again…

So, the next time I fly, I will use Number 3, then number 1, and finally number 2. If I use all three, I will once again resequencing them to 1, 2, 3…

I hope it makes sense to you; it makes sense to me…. Some folks say that if your talk to your plants, you are crazy; I say you are only crazy if you think the plants talk back…

View attachment 150477
I've read that leaving the batteries inside the charger is a bad idea as it stops the "intelligent" batteries of discharging automatically to a "safe" level (although this problem may have been fixed since then with a firmware update)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d