DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How many people research the requirements and problems with a particular model of drone before they/you buy it?

Did you research your drone before you bought it

• As a newbie, yes.

Votes: 25 64.1%
  • As a newbie, no.

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • As a newbie, I don't remember

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • As a 'seasoned' drone pilot, no.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • As a 'seasoned' drone pilot, yes.

Votes: 17 43.6%
  • As a 'seasoned' drone pilot, yes but I still get caught out by quirks.

Votes: 6 15.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Yorkshire_Pud

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I find it somewhat surpising how many folks, especially newbies, seemingly buy a drone only to be caught of by things like, their phone being incapable of running the required control app, or problems that have been well documented on forums.

For the record I can not remember if, as a newbie, I researched the Phantom 3 but for the others I did 'research them'. (read forums)
And yes I still get caught out by quirks in the behaviours of the individual models/types.

BTW you can select up to 3 choices

Last edited:
Yes it happens, I got caugh out with the P4P+advanced. Didn’t realise that the controller wouldn’t accept 3rd party apps. Had to get a replacement controller, and now a backup for the P4PV2. Wont get caught out again, until next time. 😀
Regards

Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud
I absolutely DO research them, to a fault really!! Many years ago (back when PC's just started being made for home use, x86 days) I was an EARLY ADOPTER and I got "bit" so many times it was silly. I can't tell you how many computers I only had for a day or two until I returned it for defects etc. I ALWAYS wanted the fastest and newest model on the market and I was willing to take a beating to try and always have the latest & greatest. I clearly remember I bought the newest model of PC from Sears (486 50DX IIRC) and got home with it, unpacked it, started it up, and it had a HDD error. I packed it back up, drove 45min back to Sears to return it. In THAT amount of time (maybe 4 hours total) they had already had others returned for the same reason BUT a new truck had come in with the NEWER model (486 66DX2). I had a long discussion with the manager and they did a "swap" for the newer (and faster) PC for not extra $$.

I spend a LOT of time researching online and talking to people who are actually flying whatever it is I'm wanting to buy now. I've long since stopped being that Early Adopter as I got tired of being Corp America (and now China) own personal R&D Department to work out all of THEIR bugs because they rush the product to market.

Reactions: hiflyer201
watching videos of a particular drone ,that interest you on YT, and listening to those people flying them ,and their thoughts on a particular drone ,can be useful up to a point ,a lot of them are given the drones by the manufacturers to act as beta testers ,and to promote the drone to improve sales ,this also applies to accessories as well,while there is nothing wrong with this ,it can paint a false picture to a new drone flyer with no prior knowledge of drone ownership. the fact that the drone is sold as ready to fly ,can also be confusing to the uninitiated ,who on opening the package , only then find that they need a certain device to fly the drone ,various apps and a registration process to go through before they can get airborne,
once you have been in the hobby,for a while ,then the knowledge that you have gained, will stand you in good stead for future purchases

Good point Old Man Mavic concerning the youtube 'influencers'.
Fortunately for me, quite a few of them "get right up my nose" so I watch very few or none of them, though, unfortunately they do seem quite popular.

The name of this is "doing your homework" and applies to anything you want or need to buy. Life has showed me (many mistakes made) that everything you're going to get has its pros and cons. Years ago was more difficult doing research of something, you had to question many people, find bibliographies, read many magazines before getting some info. Now days is way easier to do with internet, e-magazines, social media, video channels and forums like this one. I consider a sin not to be informed beforehand about a product you are planning to buy these days.

Before any purchase over a few hundred dollars/pounds, where I have lots of options available to me, I research the hell out of it to make sure I am getting the best bang for my buck and that it is compatible with everything I have. I come from a job where 'due diligence' and research are a major part of it, so this just transfers over into my personal life too.

This means joining forums like this to research and ask (hopefully not too many stupid) questions.

And in fact this is exactly what I did in this instance.

Good point Old Man Mavic concerning the youtube 'influencers'.
Fortunately for me, quite a few of them "get right up my nose" so I watch very few or none of them, though, unfortunately they do seem quite popular.
Hey, make sure you hit that like and subscribe!

Honestly, i'm right there with you. I sometimes use YT for reviews and i'm grateful for the feature now where there are little 'nicks' in the video timeline so you can fast forward to the bits you want to see, which always means skipping the tedious 'like and subscribe' and sponsor bit these people often have at the start.

I dislike how everything needs to have a video now too. If I want to find a step-by-step of how to do something, I want it written down so I can pause to read it and 'do the thing', not have to constantly rewind a video and listen to someone.

Hey, make sure you hit that like and subscribe!

Honestly, i'm right there with you. I sometimes use YT for reviews and i'm grateful for the feature now where there are little 'nicks' in the video timeline so you can fast forward to the bits you want to see, which always means skipping the tedious 'like and subscribe' and sponsor bit these people often have at the start.

I dislike how everything needs to have a video now too. If I want to find a step-by-step of how to do something, I want it written down so I can pause to read it and 'do the thing', not have to constantly rewind a video and listen to someone.
On the youtube video page click the 3 dots beneath the video, if "show transcript" is available in the drop down menu, click it.

Last edited:
When I going to build a computer, I would research each component for that computer for 3 months. I would never put in "the newest" component because of the cost and no current user reviews.
I did the same thing for the drone I use.

On the youtube video page click the 3 dots beneath the video, if show transcript is available in the drop down menu, click it.
That's correct. Not many do though and of the ones that do, the transcript isn't user friendly as its a full transcript of everything they say, not a meaningful step-by-step guide for what I need.

Overall though, a useful function nevertheless.

I've only owned DJI drones.
I only knew the Phantom 3 advanced was an improvement over my friends Phantom. I soon learned there are tons of information on drones available and yes, I do now research the new models. I look mainly for reasons not to rush out and buy the latest. I've been only partially successful. ;)

• Love
Got my first drone the winter of 2015. A friend knew I was 'interested' and called me saying her son-in-law has one he will sell me for an extremely low price. It was a P3. Had to act since they were leaving to go back to the Midwest after a week in Florida. Since I knew the family, I did no research on it. Turned out to be a good move. Would I do that again? No way!!!!! Researching the Air 2 or Air 2s now. I want to know everything about them before I buy one.

Drones, power tools, cameras, computers, software, phones, music gear — if an item costs more than, say, $30 I research the heck out of it. I almost never regret buying decisions afterwards.

I read up on the M3 (joining this forum was an important part of that healthy breakfast) and decided it was worth waiting for some features. No regrets on this purchase.

Reactions: Pondhopper
Drones, power tools, cameras, computers, software, phones, music gear — if an item costs more than, say, $30 I research the heck out of it. I almost never regret buying decisions afterwards.

I read up on the M3 (joining this forum was an important part of that healthy breakfast) and decided it was worth waiting for some features. No regrets on this purchase.
Yep, it was the reason I joined too. I'm going to get a Mini 2 to knock about with first, then a Mini 3 when they come out and pass on my Mini 2, plus another one, to my two kids. My oldest will get the new one and my youngest will get my used one as she'll never know the difference. In fact, when I make it more visible for VSOL, I might even get her input on which stickers to put on, that way she'll be more invested in having it when I give the other one to my eldest. Parenting life hack. ;)

Reactions: BethanyFerrell
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98