DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How often should you change Props?

I'm sure this topic has been debated before here. I previously contacted DJI for a comment on this topic some weeks back and they stated that there was no official number of flying hours that were recommended prior to changing props. They said one should just check for damage and replace as appropriate.

This led me on a mission to seek knowledge from people who fly drones professionally. As here this topic is widely debated but one person i know who is a very experienced pilot told me that he changes his every 20 hrs of normal flying. This is if you incur no damage as a result of hitting something like objects trees etc.

He stated further that the props will most likely last much longer depending how they are used but with using such an expensive craft would you like to risk it falling from the sky for the cost of a new set of props which are pretty cheap in comparison to loosing your aircraft ?

After all to me 20 hrs is a pretty long time about a years worth of flying for some.

For me i m changing mine at 20hrs all moving parts wear and Ive noticed the studs securing the props on mine are a Little looser than what they started out no doubt due to stresses created through flying air breaking etc.

They are Still okay but will be right for a change at 20 hrs for me.

Hope this helped some out there who are still unsure

i had not thought about the prop mount/lock studs getting much wear. but if movement or stress yes they would be a possible fail point at sometime.

when it comes down to it most everything does have a point it should, might, possible, will-------fail.
some parts right away. others in about 60-70 years.

Reactions: Ack
One consideration is to store the aircraft in a case which allows the props to stay on:
- less tear and wear on the locking mechanism
- quicker way to launch time

Reactions: Trolleydodger
I'm sure this topic has been debated before here. I previously contacted DJI for a comment on this topic some weeks back and they stated that there was no official number of flying hours that were recommended prior to changing props. They said one should just check for damage and replace as appropriate.

This led me on a mission to seek knowledge from people who fly drones professionally. As here this topic is widely debated but one person i know who is a very experienced pilot told me that he changes his every 20 hrs of normal flying. This is if you incur no damage as a result of hitting something like objects trees etc.

He stated further that the props will most likely last much longer depending how they are used but with using such an expensive craft would you like to risk it falling from the sky for the cost of a new set of props which are pretty cheap in comparison to loosing your aircraft ?

After all to me 20 hrs is a pretty long time about a years worth of flying for some.

For me i m changing mine at 20hrs all moving parts wear and Ive noticed the studs securing the props on mine are a Little looser than what they started out no doubt due to stresses created through flying air breaking etc.

They are Still okay but will be right for a change at 20 hrs for me.

Hope this helped some out there who are still unsure
Unless they (specific blade types/models) have known design defects or failure points, replace every 20 hours just 'cause an "experienced" pilot said that's what he does seems needless, especially given DJI's response. Inspect them carefully. If they show signs of damage or wear, then replace. If not, drone on. Consider that a new set of blades could have a hidden manufacturing defect and fail within hours.

Unless they (specific blade types/models) have known design defects or failure points, replace every 20 hours just 'cause an "experienced" pilot said that's what he does seems needless, especially given DJI's response. Inspect them carefully. If they show signs of damage or wear, then replace. If not, drone on. Consider that a new set of blades could have a hidden manufacturing defect and fail within hours.

I agree and I would have thought there was a greater danger of not putting a prop back on properly than there would be a prop failure causing a crash.

Hmmm...i have flown my Pro less than 2 dozen times and i have never looked at the props...i DID look after reading this and the props are fine...I WILL start checking them but i fly in open areas and my Pro never comes in contact with anything other than air...I know it is important (before i never gave it a thought) and i will pay more attention to them each time i suit up...Thanks All...Martin

I have only changed them once when I was landing on an uneven surface and my back props caught the dirt. I ended up replacing all the props with the low noise ones as thats all I had spare. I have had the same low noise props on for the past 5 flight hours and will clean them off when the drone gets dirty with dead bug parts.

Reactions: Ack
have you tried a search ?

My are you helpful, NOT !

I've been on the same props for almost one year and they look like new, replace them if there's anything that doesn't quite feel or look right.

My are you helpful, NOT !

I've been on the same props for almost one year and they look like new, replace them if there's anything that doesn't quite feel or look right.

Back in the Phantom 1 and 2 days five years ago, my comprehensive pre-flight procedures had so many pages that I usually focused on the basics and, to be sure, inspecting the props and doing a thorough visual is always automatic. We also had to worry about things coming loose inside the drone, etc. Sections for Pre-flight on bench, Pre-flight on location, Craft initialization, Flight mission, Post mission flight, etc. Here's the basics...

VI. ABBREVIATED CHECKLIST –
First we are the Aircraft Mechanic.
Second we are the Safety Engineer.
Third (at long last) we become the Pilot.

PILOTS - DO NOT GET IN A HURRY AND OVERLOOK YOUR CRAFT OR EVERYONE'S SAFETY!
  • Enjoy your flight, don’t get fixated or distracted, see the big picture, think ahead and be prepared.
  • Physical & mechanical craft inspection (esp. name/address/phone # affixed)
  • Physical & mechanical gear inspection (batteries, props, controller, camera, gimbal, FPV…)
  • Area level and clear space validation – vertical 60+ feet, away from humans, animals, other craft, vehicles, buildings, trees, power wires, microwave transmitters...
  • Review failure backup plans/contingencies, turn on GPS Tracker, (GPS/ATTI/MAN mode, turnoff craft motors if crash is best alternative).
  • Turn on support gear (control transmitter, recorders, FPV…) and warmup IMU undisturbed, validating mission-go indicators.
  • Perform magnetic compass calibration (dance) as required. Be sure you are not near large metallic structures and other large metal object (pipes, manhole cover, iron rebar inside concrete, cars, buildings, etc.)
  • Communicate with nearby people and fly away at a safe distance from others.
  • Perform startup and initial validation, status lights, props, etc.
  • Takeoff several feet, hover, validate controls and craft responses and proceed with your mission objectives.

Good for you JMF You never commented on how many flying hours you did in " almost a year" let us all know how many you do get up before you have issues I'm sure a few of us would be interested to know

There is this youtube video where they are testing the mavic drones, and they throw a water ballon and then they throw rocks and they even crash it on soom branches and still the drone is flying. There is this part when they bent the props and then even brake the tip off one of the props and the drone is still flying.

I dont expect for none of us to go through all this but the point is that these drones have very strong and durable props.

If there’s no sign of damage or wear out I think you should be good to continue using them as long as you want.

I'm not listening to a pro who flys 20 hrs a year,been flying over 1 1/2 years,only reason I changed props was for testing new ones

It just occured to me if he is in wifi that would not connect unless he manually connected ... screen shot of your map you see would answer a lot of questions

It just occured to me if he is in wifi that would not connect unless he manually connected ... screen shot of your map you see would answer a lot of questions
S#$$ that was meant for m mavic air not starting[emoji30]...

I'm not listening to a pro who flys 20 hrs a year,been flying over 1 1/2 years,only reason I changed props was for testing new ones

Unfortunately you misread my post rick.The guy I qoted flys way more hrs than 20hrs. Builds drones and trains new pilots. He is also a pilot who flys light passenger aircraft so not some hobbyist offering an opinion. This is why I reached out to ask someone better in the know than me. It is clear im a new pilot and joined this site to gain knowledge as well as share it. He did say they will go more than 20 hrs but didt say exactly how much longer I never asked. He only recommended 2o hrs as best practice. As far as I can tell this type of technology hasn't been around along time so for me I have no idea just how long props are meant to last. Its good to see so many people getting longjeverty out of there props no doubt testimony to dji build quality. Gotta say I'm disappointed that this thread has attracted some sarcastic comments when people could just be nice.

Just curious has anyone ever put a prop in the freezer overnite taken it out and tweaked it to see if it cracks. Reason being 10 15 degrees taking off 250 or 300ft up it will be 20 to thirty degrees diff. The tork and speed,cold should make them very brittle.

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
Just curious has anyone ever put a prop in the freezer overnite taken it out and tweaked it to see if it cracks. Reason being 10 15 degrees taking off 250 or 300ft up it will be 20 to thirty degrees diff. The tork and speed,cold should make them very brittle.
Flying in extreme weather conditions can lead to numerous failure events, while your prop temperature is probably the least of your worries (since the molecular friction on the props ostensibly will warm them up). But for the sake of your battery, IMU, props, your finger, etc, keep your drone indoor (or your car) until you're ready to fly.
Flying Drones in Cold Weather: 3 Tips To Do It Right | Autel Robotics

My approach for an MPP...

• Go OEM
  • Change every 50 hours of flight time
  • Change if big bug hits or cracks
  • Relative value... $26 bucks versus $1000... Why take a chance?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xyggi