DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to fly "sideways" manually?

Take a flight course. You'll learn how to do that the right way, and won't crash your $2000 plus Drone

No judgement, but a casual glance at the user manual should have pointed that out. I recommend reading the manual and browsing this forum for valuable info, like return to home settings for example

Just fly sideways. Point the camera at the shore and use the roll stick to move parallel to the shore. Before you do this check for obstructions along the flight path. This is how I made the shot tracking the train in the video below.
I'm a big steam fan as you can see by my picture (avatar?) so I doubly enjoyed that video. You have very fine piloting, video and sound editing skills as well. Great job!

Just fly sideways. Point the camera at the shore and use the roll stick to move parallel to the shore. Before you do this check for obstructions along the flight path. This is how I made the shot tracking the train in the video below.
Love that video, - well done! Especially when you partly use hand held shots. PS And I love steam locomotives :)

Reactions: Hummingbird.UAV
(New pilot) I have read that in order to maintain a course, with the camera aimed 90º pilot's left or right, it is necessary to set a course, then fly the course on auto with the drone facing 90º left or right (if I understood correctly). Meaning the drone might FLY due north with the gimbal aimed due west. If that's the only option, it would seem that this can't be done with manual navigation? I'm guessing the gimbal can't be orientated to 90º pilot left or right? Or is there some other way to achieve this?

In case I'm still being unclear, I might want to video along a coastline, but with the camera aimed perpendicular to the shore.

Thanks

Flying Waypoint missions may be what you're looking for.

D

(New pilot) I have read that in order to maintain a course, with the camera aimed 90º pilot's left or right, it is necessary to set a course, then fly the course on auto with the drone facing 90º left or right (if I understood correctly). Meaning the drone might FLY due north with the gimbal aimed due west. If that's the only option, it would seem that this can't be done with manual navigation? I'm guessing the gimbal can't be orientated to 90º pilot left or right? Or is there some other way to achieve this?

Wouldn't Course Lock in Litchi accomplish this?

Wouldn't Course Lock in Litchi accomplish this?

It would, although it's an unnecessarily complicated solution if all you are trying to do is fly sideways.

It would, although it's an unnecessarily complicated solution if all you are trying to do is fly sideways.
I assumed (we know what that means :D ) he was asking about flying in that manner while using the camera.

Reactions: sar104
I assumed (we know what that means :D ) he was asking about flying in that manner while using the camera.

I assumed the same - but he was trying to video a coastline, so all that was needed was to point the aircraft (and camera) towards the coast and then fly sideways along it.

Reactions: JAW
Very nice steam footage. I too like to shoot steam trains. How did you capture the sound? Was your recording devise on board the locomotive? Thanks for your input.

Reactions: Hummingbird.UAV
Very nice steam footage. I too like to shoot steam trains. How did you capture the sound? Was your recording devise on board the locomotive? Thanks for your input.
Sound was from a head mounted GoPro which I gave one of the engineers. The in cab clips are from it too.

Reactions: W2EJ
Sound was from a head mounted GoPro which I gave one of the engineers. The in cab clips are from it too.
Thanks. Your video and audio editing are superb. I know how hard it is to get the audio in sync, especially when the steam plumbs occurs when the whistle blows.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Electrakill21