DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to force stop the Mavic?

CSC will by default only stop the motors if the drone is in emergency mode (e.g. in a tree..), you need to change the setting in the app to allow CSC to stop the motors at any time... but I'd start with switching landing protection off, that way it shouldn't refuse to land. And if you do end up needing to hand catch it then go up to about 1,8m and give yourself a better chance at catching it from below..

Oh... OK I will go into the app and try and find that setting... I thought that landing protection was a good thing, and I guess it would be if it malfunctioned over water or something.
I really wish it came with more instructions. That, or I should be watching a hell of a lot of tutorials online.
I feel pretty terrible because I took it to the beach yesterday and it landed next to a 4 year old. I would never forgive myself if it hurt somebody else =(

Don't be surprised if your bf brings one of these home for you......
1648512_2000x2000.jpg

If it's 1.2 metres from the ground i'm not too worried. I wouldn't do it from the sky =)

Sorry to hear about your accident. Many of us have shed blood for DJI products in one form or the other.

If it drops from 1.2 meters, try to drop it on a pillow otherwise you might need a repair. lol

Not if I catch it though. I had my hand ready for it, I just needed it to stop spinning
Turn off the vertical positioning system (ultrasonic) and you can pluck it out of the air, I do not use this technique but I have read it on forums.

Oh... Thank you very much! I will try that next time...
Tempted to go out and try it now but i'm still a bit scared. And scarred lol
I wouldn't recommend the CSC stick command(unless the plan is to bring your mavic home in a bin bag in pieces [emoji3] ) ..as it is an emergency motor shut down and your drone will crash the 1.2 m to the ground....instead hold the left stick down to safely and smoothly land your mavic in one piece.
Hope you're on the mend soon !

Reactions: MavicScot
Be patient and wait for the battery to drop to 10% and let it auto land would be an alternative strategy.

Reactions: Kilrah
Not really easy to hold the controller, bring both sticks into their corners (CSC) AND try to grasp the Mavic from below to catch it. This is setting you up to either drop the controller or Mavic and or end up with some more lacerations. Be careful and heal fast!

Reactions: Vetski
Regarding your scar ... As a medical practitioner, I can testify to this - Apply chloramphenicol (Chlorcol, Chlornicol, Chloramex, etc.) eye ointment to the scar at least 3 times per day for 2 weeks. Being a topical antibiotic, it prevents infection and reduces scar tissue formation.

Reactions: Sjez and Vetski
When hand catching the Mavic I pinch it right behind the front keeping your hand clear of the downward sensors. This way the Mavic will quickly shut off and not fight to try and take off. It quickly shuts off every time. I hand catch about 40% of the time.

When hand catching the Mavic I pinch it right behind the front keeping your hand clear of the downward sensors. This way the Mavic will quickly shut off and not fight to try and take off. It quickly shuts off every time. I hand catch about 40% of the time.

Others mention turning off the sensors but I feel this isn't necessary and not always practical. I've never had an incident using my technique. I see videos of people demonstrating how to hand catch and their Mavic and its fighting them at the end.

There is also another option and that is to get a small mat and use it as a landing pad. Sometimes the downward vps can get confused on uneven surfaces so it refuses to land. So a flat non reflective material will help. I have hand caught the Mavic several times in rocky landing areas, but yes if VPS is turned on then you have to make sure your hand doesn't cover it or the Mavic will fight back. If its off no problem covering the sensor whilst catching.

I always manage to land. It stops if area isn’t suitable but you still have the option to force land it with the stick. Don’t rely on the app. Practice flying without referring to the app. One day it might save your Mavic or injury to someone else. I also always ensure I’m well away from people when taking off and landing.

I saw a guy do it on a tutorial... Alas, he did not tell the viewers about the left stick hold down tactic =(
I am really sorry for you...but:

There's also the manual.........
There's no such thing as 'left stick hold down tactic'. It is simply only proper way of piloting and landing.
Never use auto land or auto take off, it's meant for demo purposes, for DJI, to awe the public, to show how easy it is to fly, just by touching an icon on the phone screen. Scary thought that a lot of people got used to auto-everything, instead of flying the thing themselves. This is what happens when the screen becomes not responsive.

You (assuming) also had landing protection on, which is another way to get into trouble. It really isn't smart enough to determine wether the ground is ok or not. You are! It was simply waiting for you to pull down the throttle and thus giving the ok with the landingspot. I would advise to shut that off as well, after you took a couple of flying lessons.

Never nice to read a told you so.... but please, I mean this only positively.
Wow, nasty cuts, I really hope they not leave scars. Good that you come here and talk about it.
Some people will learn from it, I hope.

Reactions: Big Fil
Not if I catch it though. I had my hand ready for it, I just needed it to stop spinning
However most people always use two hands on the sticks to do a CSC, and I would strongly advise it NOT to do it with one hand. You would have crashed it. Throttle stick down is the way to land, and keep it down a few seconds after landing to make sure the motors are off.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne