DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to inexpensively Recover Drone from Tree

bobec231

Reactions
Recently a colleague flew/crashed his drone into a tree. It was about 65' up.
Since we are both northerners we both have snow roof rakes.
These rakes are made up of four 5' extensions. The material is lightweight aluminum so it is easy to maneuver.
We borrowed a third rake and were able to assemble the poles in 5' sections as we raised the pole up to the drone.
Once we reached the drone we were able to nudge the drone off the branch. It took 2 adults to handle the pole, not because of the weight but at 60 ' it sways. These 20' snow rakes are sold at Amazon for about $42.00 with free shipping. Maybe someday local drone clubs may purchase several rakes and have them available for loan especially in milder climate states. At worst if you experience the same situation you can always purchase what you need and have your own recovery system in about 2 days.
Hope this helps someone.

Great stuff. I really like your ingenuity. Do you have any pictures you can share? Or a link to the site on amazon?

Great idea, I know it’s tough due to the sway, but as you said just a slight nudge is all it takes to free the drone even if it’s nudging a lower branch below drone.

I use PCV pipe, 1” thick type. It’ll sway but once it’s gluiding through the branches the tree helps eliminate the sway.

Have recovered several drones with thick pcv pipe.

Good to hear you brought yours down,
Paul

Reactions: Inspirephil
When I was learning to fly, rather than crash my new Phantom, I bought a Syma X5c and flew it around my yard which is surrounded by trees. I used my snow rake at least a dozen times to get that thing out of trees and off my roof. Funny as hell.

you can also buy a painter pole extension from home depot or lowes.

I own one.

At Amazon just search on "snow roof rake"

I went 'generic' and searched on: "extension pole" ... found one with a right angle adjustment and threaded end. although about $20 more, it's got more uses than just snow removal. (no snark intended!)

I have used a lower powered recurve bow, drilled a hole into a golf ball, put arrow into it, added string to arrow tip, shot weighted arrow over the branch that holds drone, shake the string till drone drops. You could lightly coil 40 yards of string/parachute cord on the ground or use a fish hunting reel onto bow.

Reactions: Ex Coelis
I used a pocket chainsaw with rope to cut a limb and recover my drone. Used a kids fishing rod with a nice heavy weight to cast over the branch, then pulled the rope over. Tied the saw to both ends of the rope, then pulled it over the branch and cut through.

Pocket Chainsaw with Paracord Handle 36 Inches 16 Teeth Long Chain Hand Saw Fast Wood & Tree Cutting Emergency Survival Gear Best for Camping Backpacking Hiking Hunting. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075JFPZZY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_l4TzCbBW5GW13

Reactions: Ex Coelis
Crashing a drone un a tree already happened to me too...
It was a big tree, and no branch on its base to climb up there...
I managed to shoot a arrow with a little rope atached to it with above the closer branch next to the drone with a bow.
After several trials , the rope was around the branch and the arrow was enought close to the ground that I was able to grab and pull it down to the ground. Then I attached a climbing rope to it, and pull again the little rope until the climbing rope was up there.
And then I used a locking handle (like a jumar handle) to climb up there and recover the drone...
Took about 1 hour... The longest part of that "adventure" was to shoot correctly the arrow across all the branches of that tree , and make it come down close enought to the ground to grab it!! ;)

BTW there's some pretty good drone-in-a-tree recovering operations un that thread!! ;)

For you deer hunters, I have used my climbing tree stand to get to to first limbs. I used a short pole from there or you could climb on tree limbs from there. Use your safety harness!!!!

Reactions: AMann and Ranmanjc
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bsplum