Welcome Mavic Pilot!
Jump in and join our free DJI Mavic community today!

How to inexpensively Recover Drone from Tree

HoozierDroneDaddy

Reaction score
If your fortunate enough to have another drone that is capable you can lift the stranded drone down. I made a releasable grappling hook for my Typhoon H to lift a drone from the top of a 90 foot tree. Releasable in case the hook gets caught in the trees or is unable to pull the first drone out, then you can still bring the recovery drone back down.

If it is a situation where the branch needs to be jerked around to release the drone, I have also used it to anchor a 100lb fishing line on the ground, lift the spool over the branch and release it. The spool then falls to the ground on the other side of the branch. If it is a small branch that the fishing line can handle all is ok. If it is a larger branch, then the fishing line is used to pull a rope over the branch.

Glad all the above were able to recover they birds.

AMann

Reaction score
Loc
Southern CA
For you deer hunters, I have used my climbing tree stand to get to to first limbs. I used a short pole from there or you could climb on tree limbs from there. Use your safety harness!!!!
Climbing sticks- not height restricted as they are stackable as you climb and can be guided around branches, then simply use your rope and harness to rappel back down.

Merccooper

Reaction score
Someone posted a nifty rig that consisted of a fishing reel, a length of conduit and rubber tube. You could shoot a piece of dowel (attached to the fishing line) through the conduit. Sounded like the aim could be pretty good. I’ve lost the post now. Maybe some could repost?

AMann

Reaction score
Loc
Southern CA
Someone posted a nifty rig that consisted of a fishing reel, a length of conduit and rubber tube. You could shoot a piece of dowel (attached to the fishing line) through the conduit. Sounded like the aim could be pretty good. I’ve lost the post now. Maybe some could repost?
If it used an apple and arrow, I’d be more impressed! What was the conduit for?

toad007

Reaction score
So I put the Platinum into a tall Conifer a couple of weeks ago. After help requests got a tree man to do it and mixed it with some tree work.
Got it back this morning and it worked perfectly despite heavy rain. I will be more careful in future and have the camera pointing down. Great device.