DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to move the camera side to side

JJG

Reactions
Hi all
I have had my drone, mavic pro, first ive ever owned and a real newbie with all things camera's and drones.
I have quite a few questions but will start with one or two;

How do you move the camera from side to side whilst flying, no probs up and down with the controller wheel.

Also are what would be the best leg extenders to get?, IE, the ones with little springs like these;
DJI-MAVIC-PRO-Shockproof-Landing-Gear-Heightened-Leg-Extensions and do they interfere with any sensors or get picked up by the camera.

Thanks
Jim from Australia

The only way to turn camera side to side is to buy dji goggles.

Mavic works by turning the entire drone from right to left. There are no separate controls on the remote that allow turning only the camera.

Reactions: PBDrone
Top Hat is correct :)
Welcome to the forum JJG .Thumbswayup

I guess I’m misunderstanding the OP’s original question and some of the responses. I agree that the gimbal can’t be panned through any control even the goggles, but don’t the goggles use the Mavic’s yaw to pan? If so, doesn’t the yaw control on the RC do the same thing?

Sorry for my ignorance!

Theo

No. The goggles do have some degree of camera-only panning ability.
Cool! Didn’t know about this. Does the gimbal pan work only when the MP is stationary? Would it interpret the sideways head movement as a turn (rather than a pan) when moving?

Thanks for the enlightenment! Perhaps I’ll consider a goggle purchase!

Theo

Technically, you can pan the camera (the entire drone) while flying in a straight line by using Course Lock, or Home Lock.

Does the gimbal pan work only when the MP is stationary? Would it interpret the sideways head movement as a turn (rather than a pan) when moving?
Depends on the head tracking mode used, see goggles manual.

Panning the camera without turning the drone isn't really useful in the first place though.

Just read the goggles manual...seems like a hoot! I suppose that flying in Head Tracking Gimbal mode would be great for guest. They could be given a “tour” of their surroundings by an RPIC while allowing them to control the view.

Right! Course Lock should allow an automated course while allowing Head Tracking Gimbal control. I do this for videography as I find it easier to control gimbal tilt and yaw if an automated course is being flown.

Thanks all!

Hi Guys
Thanks for the reply's and thanks for the welcome.

I can appreciate there are a lot of complexities with this equipment and I am not familiar with a lot of the terms you refer to, or that I find in all the settings on the app, or for that matter,, camera settings etc, though, or some things I have read about from time to time.

I have a set of DJI goggles but I still haven't used them in anger,,, yet ! I also have the IPAD mini 4 cellular, though I haven't put a sim into it yet as I have only flown around our own property and as I live on top of a massive hill I can see the drone most of the time, except when i fly around it (108) acres,,,, I am surrounded by about 3000 acres so I have no neighbours!

I am still reading everything I can,, I printed out the whole Mavic pro manual (at work of course) ;-) and the goggles manual,, so I am getting there.

I am not sure when ill try the goggles for myself during flight but hopefully soon, I do find it hard to read the writing even with my glasses on,, though the vision is clear as!
I really want to put them on someone else whilst I fly and give them the thrill first. The wife !

I understand the head tracking mode,, for a guest you refer to so that will be great, try it on the wife !
I dont think I will try and fly with the goggles controlling the craft flying though,,, it could be a disaster hahaha

Regarding what Theo said about yaw control on the RC,, what is that exactly? Is it the turning of the whole drone ?

Also, when flying using goggles I assume I still control the aircraft with the controller and the camera view is also replicated on the controller screen?

Here is a pic of our place
cheers
Jim from Ozzzzzz

Attachments

• DJI_0006.jpg
    DJI_0006.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 94
I find head tracking gimball to be most handy for search and rescue operations. You can set mavic to fly a grid pattern over an area and use the googles to search.

Panning the camera without turning the drone isn't really useful in the first place though.

Flying the mavic around using the goggles in Head-Tracking GIMBAL mode is one of the things I enjoy doing most. (The mode where the head-tracking just controls the gimbal ; NOT where it controls the yaw.)

It takes some getting used to, but I like flying around and being able to look anywhere I want without changing the direction of the craft. Luckily, the display has a moving-real-time Bullseye in HUD so you always know where the AC is actually pointed.

I don't really use the Head-Tracking Flight mode much (the other one, where you control the yaw with your head). It is kind of fun to use it in airplane (fixed-wing) mode, but for regular droning the lag-time is too slow for my tastes. Maybe I'll master it with more practice.

For those who want more control of the gimbal direction WITHOUT using the goggles, they should make a mode or option where you can use the 5-D stick to move the gimbal up/down/left/right - I don't know why they don't. You know it could be easily done with no hardware changes. It is odd that there's no way to manually move the gimbal left and right without using the goggles, or yawing the entire AC.

Reactions: conchman and JJG
Flying the mavic around using the goggles in Head-Tracking GIMBAL mode is one of the things I enjoy doing most. (The mode where the head-tracking just controls the gimbal ; NOT where it controls the yaw.)

It takes some getting used to, but I like flying around and being able to look anywhere I want without changing the direction of the craft. Luckily, the display has a moving-real-time Bullseye in HUD so you always know where the AC is actually pointed.

I don't really use the Head-Tracking Flight mode much (the other one, where you control the yaw with your head). It is kind of fun to use it in airplane (fixed-wing) mode, but for regular droning the lag-time is too slow for my tastes. Maybe I'll master it with more practice.

For those who want more control of the gimbal direction WITHOUT using the goggles, they should make a mode or option where you can use the 5-D stick to move the gimbal up/down/left/right - I don't know why they don't. You know it could be easily done with no hardware changes. It is odd that there's no way to manually move the gimbal left and right without using the goggles, or yawing the entire AC.

Thanks for the information guys, i intend to try this when I get home from work.
I have learnt how to calibrate the IMU, gimble, aircraft etc,,, but How do you calibrate the controller?
Cheers
Jim

Hi everyone,

Currently looking at buying either a spark or mavic. From reading this thread I gather that the head tracking for gimbal yaw/pan on the mavic won't work with any third party vr headset only the dji vr headset?

Is this something new in the firmware or is it likely to change?

My wife is sold on vr so the spark is an easy win with her. I reckon I could convince her on the idea of a mavic on the grounds of the additional head tracking gimbal yaw/pan but not if I also have to buy nearly half a grand of dji headset to get it to work. Thanks.

Hi Guys
Thanks for the reply's and thanks for the welcome.

I can appreciate there are a lot of complexities with this equipment and I am not familiar with a lot of the terms you refer to, or that I find in all the settings on the app, or for that matter,, camera settings etc, though, or some things I have read about from time to time.

I have a set of DJI goggles but I still haven't used them in anger,,, yet ! I also have the IPAD mini 4 cellular, though I haven't put a sim into it yet as I have only flown around our own property and as I live on top of a massive hill I can see the drone most of the time, except when i fly around it (108) acres,,,, I am surrounded by about 3000 acres so I have no neighbours!

I am still reading everything I can,, I printed out the whole Mavic pro manual (at work of course) ;-) and the goggles manual,, so I am getting there.

I am not sure when ill try the goggles for myself during flight but hopefully soon, I do find it hard to read the writing even with my glasses on,, though the vision is clear as!
I really want to put them on someone else whilst I fly and give them the thrill first. The wife !

I understand the head tracking mode,, for a guest you refer to so that will be great, try it on the wife !
I dont think I will try and fly with the goggles controlling the craft flying though,,, it could be a disaster hahaha

Regarding what Theo said about yaw control on the RC,, what is that exactly? Is it the turning of the whole drone ?

Also, when flying using goggles I assume I still control the aircraft with the controller and the camera view is also replicated on the controller screen?

Here is a pic of our place
cheers
Jim from Ozzzzzz
All that beautiful land, I am so jelous!!! What states is that?

All that beautiful land, I am so jelous!!! What states is that?
Welcome to the forum ,to answer your question when you see them refer to Ozzzzz it's normally in Australia .
Screen Shot 2018-05-11 at 12.46.20 PM.png

Yea thats correct, in Western Australia, in a little place called Donnybrook,,,,,, Ill post some more pics directly

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d