DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to, or is it possible to...

No tricks here. This will be a legit FAR Part 107 operation. I am a former commercial helicopter pilot (for about 15 years) here in Las Vegas. I would be filming operations at my current employers location. At this time I am still in the exploratory phase trying to understand more about the video editing process.

Attachments

• t1-667230-pter_pilots_be_accompanied.jpg
    t1-667230-pter_pilots_be_accompanied.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 9
Can you color grade in iMovie?
Hey guys, thanks so much for the input. Allow me to elaborate on what I am trying to do. I want to take three, 5 minute videos. Then connect (stitch) them together so it appears as a single 15 minute video. My original question was, could I edit this with the software that comes pre installed on the drone, or do I have to go out and invest in additional software in order to do this?

Your question was answered above. You can use the simple editor as part of GO4 or other programs that are free or inexpensive.

Are you in the PC or Apple ecosystems?

Your question was answered above. You can use the simple editor as part of GO4 or other programs that are free or inexpensive.

Are you in the PC or Apple ecosystems?
I have both, PC and Apple. Sorry, I didn't realize that GO4 was separate editing software. I am new to this and learning as I go!! Thanks again.

I have both, PC and Apple. Sorry, I didn't realize that GO4 was separate editing software. I am new to this and learning as I go!! Thanks again.
No problem. GO4 is the program you fly with and it also has a simple editing function. If you have an Apple I would strongly recommend iMovie. Easy to learn and does the basics quite well and it comes with your computer.

No problem. GO4 is the program you fly with and it also has a simple editing function. If you have an Apple I would strongly recommend iMovie. Easy to learn and does the basics quite well and it comes with your computer.
I will look into the Apple iMovie. Thanks again for your guidance!

Reactions: Camino Ken
I am new to the drone game and anticipate operating the Mavic 2 pro fairly soon. Here is my question: I will need approximately 15 minutes of video. However, I wont be able to simply fly and film for 15 minutes as there are 3 separate events. Is it possible to make 3 flights, and 5 minutes of video each, then stitch the 3 videos together so it appears as a single 15 minute video? All with existing software that comes with the Mavic 2 pro?

Thanks in advance for any replies!!
The DJI Fly app has built in video editing. This is the app for Mavic Mini. there are Youtube how to's out there. You can download videos to your phone/tablet, then use DJI Fly to edit if you like. this editing is simple and easy

The DJI Fly app has built in video editing. This is the app for Mavic Mini. there are Youtube how to's out there. You can download videos to your phone/tablet, then use DJI Fly to edit if you like. this editing is simple and easy
Awesome...thanks for the info!

Awesome...thanks for the info!
The DJI Mavic 2 (pro/zoom) uses the DJI GO 4 app which also has a build-in video editor.
See the youtube-link above.
You can find more educational youtube videos by searching "video editing with DJI GO 4" in Youtube.

I am new to the drone game and anticipate operating the Mavic 2 pro fairly soon. Here is my question: I will need approximately 15 minutes of video. However, I wont be able to simply fly and film for 15 minutes as there are 3 separate events. Is it possible to make 3 flights, and 5 minutes of video each, then stitch the 3 videos together so it appears as a single 15 minute video? All with existing software that comes with the Mavic 2 pro?

Thanks in advance for any replies!!
Here is what I have done and would do:
1.Get learn and use the Litchi App's Waypoints to pre plan your 3 missions so your videos are smoother. Litchi lets you program at your desk then upload and fly the mission (flight) when you are ready without the drone being on.
2. If you are near any airports get permission from the tower (call them) then use the DJI website Self Unlocking - Fly Safe - DJI to unlock your drone for that restricted zone. You will need you controller's serial #
3. Get and use Powerdirector editing software to do your editing. It's relatively inexpensive, powerful, and an easy program to learn and you can easily link all you videos, create slow motion in certain sections, add titles, etc. If you are going to do a lot of video editing with your drone (which you will) you need a good editor.
4. Go slow with all movements during your videos especially turns. If you fly FPV mode limit your turns to about 5mph or you will get a lot of "judder" which makes videos annoying to watch.
4. In Waypoint mode set the max speed to 5mph, use curves for the corners (a setting in the setup) so with the sticks not being used it will go around a corner at 5mph. When going straight you can override the max speed using your stick but when you let up it reverts to 5mph around the corners.
5. The goal is Smooth Videos especially around corners

Here is what I have done and would do:
1.Get learn and use the Litchi App's Waypoints to pre plan your 3 missions so your videos are smoother. Litchi lets you program at your desk then upload and fly the mission (flight) when you are ready without the drone being on.
2. If you are near any airports get permission from the tower (call them) then use the DJI website Self Unlocking - Fly Safe - DJI to unlock your drone for that restricted zone. You will need you controller's serial #
3. Get and use Powerdirector editing software to do your editing. It's relatively inexpensive, powerful, and an easy program to learn and you can easily link all you videos, create slow motion in certain sections, add titles, etc. If you are going to do a lot of video editing with your drone (which you will) you need a good editor.
4. Go slow with all movements during your videos especially turns. If you fly FPV mode limit your turns to about 5mph or you will get a lot of "judder" which makes videos annoying to watch.
4. In Waypoint mode set the max speed to 5mph, use curves for the corners (a setting in the setup) so with the sticks not being used it will go around a corner at 5mph. When going straight you can override the max speed using your stick but when you let up it reverts to 5mph around the corners.
5. The goal is Smooth Videos especially around corners
More GREAT advice! Thank you so much for you insight!

None of that applies as he is filming 3 separate events not waypoints. He just needs to Join 3 separate videos of the events. He can do that in any simple included editor with about zero skill level. Be it Windows, Apple or the Go App. No need to give the guy ebbie jeebies on doing post color corrections and "I use this program" and all the other jazz folks. It was a simple question and just needed a simple answer. He is just at baby steps, not running a darn marathon. :p

None of that applies as he is filming 3 separate events not waypoints. He just needs to Join 3 separate videos of the events. He can do that in any simple included editor with about zero skill level. Be it Windows, Apple or the Go App. No need to give the guy ebbie jeebies on doing post color corrections and "I use this program" and all the other jazz folks. It was a simple question and just needed a simple answer. He is just at baby steps, not running a darn marathon. :p
Another question along the same line....With the equipment that comes with the Mavic 2 Pro drone, how long of a video (time) could one produce? I'm not concerned about battery "flight time", but more about memory capacity. At what point would I need to get additional memory card(s)?

Last edited:
At the highest resolution the video uses 3/4 of a Gig (750MB) per minute so you can get well over an hour on a 64G card. You can download to another device when full or between flights.

Reactions: Thomas B
I actually change the SD card every time I change batteries to prevent data loss as much as I can w/o using XS power.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tgbell