DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

how to play 4k video on the tv

rjanumpally

Reactions
The 4k video i shoot plays beautifully in windows 10 photos. On the other hand if i want to play on the tv. I upload to youtube and stream the 4k but it looks weird and glossy on youtube. Is there another way to play on the tv. I don't have a 4k tv just a regular 1080 p one but will it work on to just plug in a usb?

USB doesn’t support 1080P playback, let alone 4K — you’ll need to input
through the HDMI port.

One option would be to play your files from a laptop that has an HDMI output (or a desktop PC with a graphics card with an HDMI port). Alternatively, there are standalone “media tank” players (KDLink is one brand), some of which can handle playing 4K, including downconversion to 1080p or 720p.

That's a very wrong bold statement to make.
. Poorly worded I guess. I meant you can’t feed a 4K signal into a USB port.

(Yes, You can transfer a 4K file through USB, but as a previous poster said most 1080p TVs are unlikely to play it.)

You definitely can transfer 4K content through USB in some forms. In the context of a TV with a built-in USB media player that matters here then yes if said media player supports it then no problem, it just likely isn't the case for his.

On my HD TV I have to turn off several "image enhancement" features when playing drone videos, otherwise the image is flickering terribly. Apart of that, no problem to play 4K video.

If you’re already in the Apple system, you could consider buying an Apple TV. I just save the footage directly to iCloud from my phone and after a short while it’s available to view on my television in 4K, or I assume any resolution the television can handle. If you don’t plan to move to 4K any time soon, you can pick up a non-4K Apple TV box quite cheaply.

I connect to my Samsung 4K Curve via a HDMI cable

Reactions: Chadnovz
I think the clarification that may be helpful here is that in order for any device to play a 4k video in 1080p, it needs to downsample on-the-fly. Your computer probably has the processing power to do this without a hitch, whereas your tv may or may not. So files played from a USB stick are relying on the tv to do the downsampling, and that's where your crappy video comes from -- unless the tv has a built-in media player. In almost every way, you'll have a better viewing experience via computer/HDMI.

If you're streaming Youtube I think you have a number of things out of your control dictated by Youtube - screen resolution, converting, compression, etc. It's a way to see things on your TV but don't put much effort into figuring out why it doesn't look great.

I'd suggest a 4k Blu-Ray player, it's what I've been using, it takes anything I throw at it (including 4k Mavic videos) and converts it into a beautiful picture for my 1080 TV. It is of course additional $'s but if you have the funds available and / or are considering a new streaming device anyhow, it's an option.

Reactions: Gasjkh2
I have a 4K TV and USB 3.0 hard drive and haven't had any trouble playing the 4k video, other than it saying it cant find audio, for obvious reasons

If your TV is having to down-sample as it doesn't have enough pixels then its probably best to download a bit of software called handbrake on your computer and make a copy of the file converted into something that will play at your TVs native resolution.

Even though my TV is only 1080, I still prefer watching it on my TV rather than my 4K PC. This might be short sighted, but I have set my default recording quality to “smooth” 1080. This way I can watch my files directly from the drone or USB without downsampling a 4K video first. I’m no professional film maker so I don’t feel anything higher than 1080 is necessary.

. Poorly worded I guess. I meant you can’t feed a 4K signal into a USB port.

(Yes, You can transfer a 4K file through USB, but as a previous poster said most 1080p TVs are unlikely to play it.)
I use a dedicated external hard drive to watch 4K content on my 4K TV over a USB3 connection. It streams perfectly. Just copy your videos to an external drive and plug it into your TV.

Hi Guys,

I have been reading with interest here.

Firstly let me state my hardware before continuing...(without prejudice)

Mavic Pro (and Goggles that might go back)
Samsung 4k Telly
Samsung Galaxy S8 Phone
Old Laptop running Linux Mint 18.x and struggling with shotcut (Editing s/w) and small windows partition.

Software on Phone - DJI Go 4, Litchi (for cheap VR alternative), Drone Harmony, WheretoFly, UAV forecast,VLC,A/V Converter, Drone assist

Now, before you say it, I know I'm in the minority here not having an Apple xyz. However my choices are limited.

So, That's great re previous post and the above and 4k telly. I plugged the mavic directly into the usb port on the telly. No probs. Great 4k quality

However,

1. The Mavic files do not play using my Samsungs Galaxy S8 standard Gallery. i.e. the thing you use to view photos AND video together. The codec is not supported, even though the phone does support 4k !
This means that subsequently you cannot use any editing s/w from the Play (App) store

2. So because of the above I have no way of editing the file to a comparable codec that's still 4k but plays on my phone. I have emailed the guys at "A/V converter" (Phone App) giving them specific details, but have not had a response yet.

3. I can use the Linux "shotcut" app on my laptop to convert the video, but every container/codec i try, seems unable to play on my phone (Also my Laptop is so old that it plays 4k at about 2 frames per minute but I'm happy to tolerate this if i can use a 'quality' format that does not shrink a 2GB file to 200Mb (therefore massively reducing quality and potentially the bitrate)

4. All formats do not play from the mavic on my phone. Is this a proprietary codec by DJI ? If I use vlc then its great.

So all above is fine until I need to edit the footage. And Trust me, I do with my Drone Flying ability !

The only way I know how to edit my footage is by using the DJI Go 4 app, which then limits each clip to 5mins. Also, its a farce getting my 4k origianl files directly onto my phone as DJI do not allow you copy wirelessly to your mavic remote/phone from the mavic pro.(Obviosuly you can it you set it to 1080 resolution)
So, I take the sd card out, copy to my computer, then plug my phone into the computer and copy the file to my phone.

Then I use vlc to play them, or GO 4 to edit them. Again, DJI have a poor implementation for Android phones as it places its editing temp and final cut folders on the internal phone memory opposed to being able to choose the external SD card (Which in my case is 64Gb phone and 128Gb Micro SD) - No i do not want to plug my mavic sd card into my phone and that's a real faff !

So if you're still reading this....

Have I missed out a fundamental thing?

I want to be able to easily edit 4k video and then be able to store it as 4k on my phone (So i use my phone to broadcastover my LAN to my telly) and here's the nub of it, as well as being able to use phone editing software, so therefore having it in a format that the Galaxy S8 can see in its own gallery..

Any pearls of wisdom will be greatly appreciated.....

Ian (UK, Hampshire)

Hi Guys,

Samsung 4k Telly
Samsung Galaxy S8 Phone
Old Laptop running Linux Mint 18.x and struggling with shotcut (Editing s/w) and small windows partition.

Software on Phone - DJI Go 4, Litchi (for cheap VR alternative), Drone Harmony, WheretoFly, UAV forecast,VLC,A/V Converter, Drone assist

Now, before you say it, I know I'm in the minority here not having an Apple xyz. However my choices are limited.

So, That's great re previous post and the above and 4k telly. I plugged the mavic directly into the usb port on the telly. No probs. Great 4k quality

However,

1. The Mavic files do not play using my Samsungs Galaxy S8 standard Gallery. i.e. the thing you use to view photos AND video together. The codec is not supported, even though the phone does support 4k !
This means that subsequently you cannot use any editing s/w from the Play (App) store

2. So because of the above I have no way of editing the file to a comparable codec that's still 4k but plays on my phone. I have emailed the guys at "A/V converter" (Phone App) giving them specific details, but have not had a response yet.

3. I can use the Linux "shotcut" app on my laptop to convert the video, but every container/codec i try, seems unable to play on my phone (Also my Laptop is so old that it plays 4k at about 2 frames per minute but I'm happy to tolerate this if i can use a 'quality' format that does not shrink a 2GB file to 200Mb (therefore massively reducing quality and potentially the bitrate)

4. All formats do not play from the mavic on my phone. Is this a proprietary codec by DJI ? If I use vlc then its great.

So all above is fine until I need to edit the footage. And Trust me, I do with my Drone Flying ability !

The only way I know how to edit my footage is by using the DJI Go 4 app, which then limits each clip to 5mins. Also, its a farce getting my 4k origianl files directly onto my phone as DJI do not allow you copy wirelessly to your mavic remote/phone from the mavic pro.(Obviosuly you can it you set it to 1080 resolution)
So, I take the sd card out, copy to my computer, then plug my phone into the computer and copy the file to my phone.

Then I use vlc to play them, or GO 4 to edit them. Again, DJI have a poor implementation for Android phones as it places its editing temp and final cut folders on the internal phone memory opposed to being able to choose the external SD card (Which in my case is 64Gb phone and 128Gb Micro SD) - No i do not want to plug my mavic sd card into my phone and that's a real faff !

I want to be able to easily edit 4k video and then be able to store it as 4k on my phone (So i use my phone to broadcastover my LAN to my telly) and here's the nub of it, as well as being able to use phone editing software, so therefore having it in a format that the Galaxy S8 can see in its own gallery..

Ian (UK, Hampshire)

I have a Samsung s7 it don’t support 4K from gallery but if install MX Player it will and using MyMovie from playstore I can convert from 4K to any format from phone. I tried others apps without success playing or converting

I have a Samsung s7 it don’t support 4K from gallery but if install MX Player it will and using MyMovie from playstore I can convert from 4K to any format from phone. I tried others apps without success playing or converting
Thanks so much for taking the time to read and reply. I will give this a go.
Thanks again [emoji481]

Hi Guys,

Samsung 4k Telly
Samsung Galaxy S8 Phone

However,

Ian (UK, Hampshire)
So i have an s8+ and figured out if u transfer file from sdcard to the internal storage of galaxy u can use the file app (the galaxy s8 app in app drawer,yellow folder icon) u can go into there and watch the file. So what i do is just take sdcard out of mavic, put it into galaxy transfer file takes 10 sec super fast just literally move it to a folder in "internal storage" i use "dcim" and u are good to go. Im pretty sure it has to be mp4 format tho instead of the mov format.... anyway this cuts the computer out and makes things super simple for easy simple editing/ or uploading to youtube

Reactions: maven4336
It appears that the 4K MOV footage from DJI Mavic Pro is not supported by Samsung, Sony, Panasonic TVs. The basic reason is due to the ultra high resolution and the video codec. To solve the issue, a quick workaround is to convert DJI Mavic Pro 4K files to a more compatible format for your TV. Here is a simple tutorial to give you a quick solution:

How Can I Play DJI Mavic Pro MOV on Smart TVs | Video Topix

Or you could record Mp4 instead if that's really an issue.
A common difficulty is moving the data at 4K from any source fast enough, If your TV has a (Blue) USB3 input it should work, but you also need a USB3 memory stick or USB3 Card reader with the file on it.
My Panasonic 4K TV will play 4K files from a variety of cameras if above conditions are met.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odofi