DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to Stop RC Unit from charging Android phone?

Yeh you could do that or you could just

-Plug the usb cable into your phone first
-Power up the Controller & remove the Side cable.
-Plug usb cable into bottom of phone

Mine still shows it's charging doing that .

Here is the easiest solution for your problem. Get a external power bank. If your using the full size USB port you can connect a power bank to the micro usb port and charge your controller while your flying. Just be sure the power bank output is 5V 1A. If you use one with a higher output it can harm the controller. I like this one...
Amazon.com: Jackery Giant+ Premium 12,000 mAh Dual USB Portable Battery Charger & External Battery Pack (Total 3.1A Output) with Panasonic Battery Cells for iPhone 7, 7 Plus, Galaxy & Other Smart Devices (Black): Cell Phones & Accessories
I thought of this wasnt sure you could use both ports or not at same time i can make that work

I think people are getting this out of proportion. It is an extremely slow charge, and you still get 2hrs plus out of the rc. It's not really a huge problem at all.

Depends on the context - for me portability is key - why I bought the Mavic. I plan to walk through the local valley and along the plateau - for most of the day. The phone lasts 2 days, the aircraft can fly for hours, depending on number of spare batteries (I have three so far). But the RC is conking out at 1hr 50mins now. because the Z3 is draining its power. And when the RC conks out it's back to base, no other option. I expect I would get 3+ hrs without the battery being drained.
Power pack not very attractive unfortunately - impedes the portability.

I think I just need to get a phone that doesn't drain the RC battery. I think that means an iOS device.
Any suggestions for an iPAD with bright screen and battery that lasts a couple of days? I hear that the iPAD mini is very popular..... (sorry if this has been covered before......!)

the aircraft can fly for hours, depending on number of spare batteries (I have three so far). But the RC is conking out at 1hr 50mins now
Then you don't have an issue since the number of batteries you have now only give you about 1h of flight. No issues for 3-4 aircraft batteries.

And when the RC conks out it's back to base, no other option
Of course not, just charge it with a powerbank... or the Mavic battery-to-USB adapter that is meant precisely for the purpose of charging your remote and/or phone from the energy left in a battery after a flight so you don't have to carry extra weight.

The phone lasts 2 days
Not when running DJI GO. If it's not being charged don't expect much more than 4-5 batteries.

Last edited:
Hi good folks!
I have a Sony Xperia Z3 Compact which works very well.... via the lower (full size) USB port.
But.... the RC is trying to charge the phone the whole time, and the RC battery only lasts about 2 hours!
Please, is there a way to stop it charging the phone?

I have tried using the (top) Micro USB port but this _still_ charges the phone! ...and the supplied Micro USB Cable is not long enough anyway - the Micro USB port on this phone is on the top left of the longer side... no matter what orientation I have the phone, the short (supplied) lead does not reach.

Somehow I need to stop the RC Unit from charging the phone.
Any help greatly appreciated!
Hi, I've read that you normally can't prevent an Android device from being charged. But you could root your Xperia and then use an app (search at play store) that stops the mobile from being charged by the rc controller. Rooting the Xperia is not difficult, there are some tutorials about. I thought about doing the same as I also have the Xperia z3, but I just decided to let it go.
Best, Randolph

I just tried a Moto Z Play with the Mavic controller this afternoon. Started at 86% on the controller, ran less than two batteries on the Mavic, and the RC started giving me low battery warnings. It was a few degrees below freezing and I played a little with the simulator first (first day flying it) and doddled a little between batteries but that's about it. Shame because my daughter showed up after it started screaming the low battery warning so she didn't get to fly it. Definitely have to get a charging battery to extend the lousy RC battery life. Charging this phone is NOT a feature. This thing lasts forever on a charge. It's kinda like using a tablet with the screen turned down for battery life. I could get an Apple gizmo but then my wife would never let me live it down. We have a big Android/Apple rivalry going between us.

Hmm, this does indead suck. Would be nice if the battery in the controller was easily swappable.

Hi, I've read that you normally can't prevent an Android device from being charged. But you could root your Xperia and then use an app (search at play store) that stops the mobile from being charged by the rc controller. Rooting the Xperia is not difficult, there are some tutorials about. I thought about doing the same as I also have the Xperia z3, but I just decided to let it go.
Best, Randolph

Yeh, the Xperia Z1 and Z2's were the best :)
Tough as Nails and looked the business.

Id still use it if the screen werent too small for VR.
Still a greart alarm clock/USB dock :p

I thought of this wasnt sure you could use both ports or not at same time i can make that work
It's working as i used to do it while using my nvidia K1. I taped a Velcro at the back of the tablet with a 5200 mah powerbank. The powerbank is so charging my controller.
(Though not recommended by DJI, i think)

I think people are getting this out of proportion. It is an extremely slow charge, and you still get 2hrs plus out of the rc. It's not really a huge problem at all.
My USB Power Monitor shows that phone (Oneplus One) is charged at 0.47A ! I'm using bottom USB.

Before you rush out and get an apple phone it has same problem but in reverse . The RC charges from the I phone .

Sent from my SM-G935F using MavicPilots mobile app

NO it does not! I have used three Apple devices and they do not get charged from the controller.
When you plug it in you hear a ping like the controller is going to charge the phone but the controller tells the iDevice not to go into charge mode.

NO it does not! I have used three Apple devices and they do not get charged from the controller.
When you plug it in you hear a ping like the controller is going to charge the phone but the controller tells the iDevice not to go into charge mode.
You need to re-read that which you've responded to.

Sent from my D6603 using MavicPilots mobile app

I'm using a Pixel XL, which is USB C, and utilizing the cable that came with the Mavic, on the side USB port. When I swipe down from the notifications, I get the option of choosing to charge the phone from the Remote, charging the remote from the Phone, or just selecting MTP. I believe these various options are unique to USB-C ports, however.

By rooting your device and installing an app called "Disable Adb USB charging" you avoid controller to charge your mobile phone. I've just tried, and now the controller battery last longer.

Best, Randolph

Didn't knew this app existed but great app and it works really nice on my Google Pixel, thx a lot!

Andy

My S7 would drain my RC after less than two flight batts. I couldn't find any way to prevent it (though I didn't try rooting and installing that app). But what works for me is to connect using the bottom USB port instead of the side one. The phone still trickle charges, but that seems pretty normal.

Reactions: Wacker2611
My S7 would drain my RC after less than two flight batts. I couldn't find any way to prevent it (though I didn't try rooting and installing that app). But what works for me is to connect using the bottom USB port instead of the side one. The phone still trickle charges, but that seems pretty normal.

Yup, that's the secret, if you can't be bothered rooting. I only found this out as I'm flying with a Z3 which only allows connection via the bigger USB port at the bottom of the rc. You can get a good 2 hrs out of it at a stretch.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

It won't charge an iOS device come what may. It's actually quite an annoying 'feature' on android as your rc battery is far more important than your device's.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots
When I first plug my iPhone 6s into controller and while fumbling with it to re-unlock screen, the process is interrupted by the charging tone, so I assumed my iPhone is being charged. Don't want it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carlos22