How to Stop RC Unit from charging Android phone?

Discussion in 'Mavic Pro Discussions' started by PGP, Feb 11, 2017.

1. PGP

PGP Member

Hi good folks!
    I have a Sony Xperia Z3 Compact which works very well.... via the lower (full size) USB port.
    But.... the RC is trying to charge the phone the whole time, and the RC battery only lasts about 2 hours!
    Please, is there a way to stop it charging the phone?

I have tried using the (top) Micro USB port but this _still_ charges the phone! ...and the supplied Micro USB Cable is not long enough anyway - the Micro USB port on this phone is on the top left of the longer side... no matter what orientation I have the phone, the short (supplied) lead does not reach.

Somehow I need to stop the RC Unit from charging the phone.
    Any help greatly appreciated!

SteveDickin likes this.
  2. Wacker2611

Wacker2611 Well-Known Member

When you first connect are you swiping down on the phone to get USB options?

Sent from my D6603 using MavicPilots mobile app

3. Cyberpower678

Cyberpower678 Well-Known Member

My question is the opposite. It does not charge my iPhone. How can I get it to charge my iPhone?

4. Wacker2611

It won't charge an iOS device come what may. It's actually quite an annoying 'feature' on android as your rc battery is far more important than your device's.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Dil85CTSA, halley and Jamison74 like this.
  5. PGP

PGP Member

Hi Wacker! :) Thank you very much... no, I didn't associate this with the problem of the RC charging the phone - I assumed it was an RC switchable option (perhaps it should be?). There are two USB modes on this phone: MTP and MSC - it was set to MTP, so I switched it to MSC and have checked it out (after waiting for the RC to charge up...yet again!...grrrr). The answer: It _still_ charges the phone!!
    This is crazy, IMO, and I completely agree with you that the RC battery is far more important because after it runs down there's no flying at all for ~2+ hours while it charges up again! ... whereas with 3 flight batteries I have nearly 1.5 hours flying time, and the phone battery lasts 2+ days! So this is a _really_ weak link - it's a killer problem - why hasn't it been talked about a **** of a lot more..

So the only real solution is to use an IOS device? If so that's extremely important advice and should be spread far and wide....

6. rydfree

rydfree Well-Known Member

Short of cutting a slit in the USB cable to isolate the VCC wire and cut it No . You could do that however and then heat shrink the cut and you should be fine . Just Google android USB Pinout for the plug layout but put a meter on it while connected to its charger to be sure it is the 5volt wire before you cut it .

7. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

Most phones won't detect an USB cable is connected if the VCC line isn't connected. So in most cases you simply can't.

halley likes this.
  8. willhay555

willhay555 Well-Known Member

9. atatistcheff

atatistcheff Member

Yep this seems to be true. Tried blocking the connection with a piece of paper and the app didn't know the phone was connected. ;-) So don't go cutting your USB cable!

Of course, you could go so far as to connect an external +5v source to a cable with VCC cut on the controller side. This would provide 5v to the phone alerting it that a cable is connected. Might be worth a shot.

10. atatistcheff

atatistcheff Member

Here's another thought, if you're using the lower USB to connect to your phone/tablet you can connect an external battery to the micro USB on the controller and charge it.

11. PGP

PGP Member

Bad news - I rather wondered whether the USB logic might be looking for the VCC to sense a connection.

But what's the concensus - do all Android phones suck power from the RC or are there some that don't?
    You can easily tell - connect your Android phone to the RC and see if the 'charging' symbol shows on the phone.

Is the only reliable solution to use an iOS phone rather than an Android?

12. mannyelite

mannyelite Member

You should get the option on your notification.

13. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

All do as far as I know.

The notification doesn't change a thing, I've never seen a phone with a "do nothing" option.

I've managed to get my Huawei Mate 8 not to chage but it required rooting and a lot of fiddling, and... I rarely use my disable script since I have to start it manually everytime, and that's usually more hassle than needed. Still have a hard time understanding why people need >2h runtime on their remote...

Bunny Too likes this.
  14. HK!

HK! Well-Known Member

Yeh you could do that or you could just

-Plug the usb cable into your phone first
    -Power up the Controller & remove the Side cable.
    -Plug usb cable into bottom of phone

15. Jamison74

Jamison74 Well-Known Member

Thank goodness I have an iPhone

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

16. Wacker2611

I think people are getting this out of proportion. It is an extremely slow charge, and you still get 2hrs plus out of the rc. It's not really a huge problem at all.

Bunny Too, Logger and willhay555 like this.
  17. Shuttershooter

Shuttershooter Active Member

Here is the easiest solution for your problem. Get a external power bank. If your using the full size USB port you can connect a power bank to the micro usb port and charge your controller while your flying. Just be sure the power bank output is 5V 1A. If you use one with a higher output it can harm the controller. I like this one...
    Amazon.com: Jackery Giant+ Premium 12,000 mAh Dual USB Portable Battery Charger & External Battery Pack (Total 3.1A Output) with Panasonic Battery Cells for iPhone 7, 7 Plus, Galaxy & Other Smart Devices (Black): Cell Phones & Accessories

18. Wacker2611

Will I wouldn't even worry about it, it's a bit of a non issue. Admittedly it would be preferable for it not to charge, but it's not in any way a deal breaker. ......And, to put in to context, I went from an iOS device to the Sony as I prefer the Sony for its killer screen, despite the charging.

#18 Wacker2611, Feb 12, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
    elwyn5150 and willhay555 like this.
  19. HK!

HK! Well-Known Member

HOly [email protected]#bA#ls. Do people even read others post

Remove the Side cable from the Controler!!

Working now, isnt it? yes

20. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

Now now, who's cursing at people for not reading then posts completely off topic?? :rolleyes: