DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to Stop RC Unit from charging Android phone?

PGP

Reactions
Hi good folks!
I have a Sony Xperia Z3 Compact which works very well.... via the lower (full size) USB port.
But.... the RC is trying to charge the phone the whole time, and the RC battery only lasts about 2 hours!
Please, is there a way to stop it charging the phone?

I have tried using the (top) Micro USB port but this _still_ charges the phone! ...and the supplied Micro USB Cable is not long enough anyway - the Micro USB port on this phone is on the top left of the longer side... no matter what orientation I have the phone, the short (supplied) lead does not reach.

Somehow I need to stop the RC Unit from charging the phone.
Any help greatly appreciated!

Reactions: SteveDickin
My question is the opposite. It does not charge my iPhone. How can I get it to charge my iPhone?

Hi Wacker! :) Thank you very much... no, I didn't associate this with the problem of the RC charging the phone - I assumed it was an RC switchable option (perhaps it should be?). There are two USB modes on this phone: MTP and MSC - it was set to MTP, so I switched it to MSC and have checked it out (after waiting for the RC to charge up...yet again!...grrrr). The answer: It _still_ charges the phone!!
This is crazy, IMO, and I completely agree with you that the RC battery is far more important because after it runs down there's no flying at all for ~2+ hours while it charges up again! ... whereas with 3 flight batteries I have nearly 1.5 hours flying time, and the phone battery lasts 2+ days! So this is a _really_ weak link - it's a killer problem - why hasn't it been talked about a hell of a lot more..

So the only real solution is to use an IOS device? If so that's extremely important advice and should be spread far and wide....

Hi good folks!
I have a Sony Xperia Z3 Compact which works very well.... via the lower (full size) USB port.
But.... the RC is trying to charge the phone the whole time, and the RC battery only lasts about 2 hours!

I have tried using the (top) Micro USB port but this _still_ charges the phone! ...and the supplied Micro USB Cable is not long enough anyway - the Micro USB port on this phone is on the top left of the longer side... no matter what orientation I have the phone, the short (supplied) lead does not reach.

Short of cutting a slit in the USB cable to isolate the VCC wire and cut it No . You could do that however and then heat shrink the cut and you should be fine . Just Google android USB Pinout for the plug layout but put a meter on it while connected to its charger to be sure it is the 5volt wire before you cut it .

Most phones won't detect an USB cable is connected if the VCC line isn't connected. So in most cases you simply can't.

Reactions: halley
Most phones won't detect an USB cable is connected if the VCC line isn't connected. So in most cases you simply can't.
Yep this seems to be true. Tried blocking the connection with a piece of paper and the app didn't know the phone was connected. ;-) So don't go cutting your USB cable!

Of course, you could go so far as to connect an external +5v source to a cable with VCC cut on the controller side. This would provide 5v to the phone alerting it that a cable is connected. Might be worth a shot.

Here's another thought, if you're using the lower USB to connect to your phone/tablet you can connect an external battery to the micro USB on the controller and charge it.

Bad news - I rather wondered whether the USB logic might be looking for the VCC to sense a connection.

But what's the concensus - do all Android phones suck power from the RC or are there some that don't?
You can easily tell - connect your Android phone to the RC and see if the 'charging' symbol shows on the phone.

Is the only reliable solution to use an iOS phone rather than an Android?

But what's the concensus - do all Android phones suck power from the RC or are there some that don't?
All do as far as I know.

The notification doesn't change a thing, I've never seen a phone with a "do nothing" option.

I've managed to get my Huawei Mate 8 not to chage but it required rooting and a lot of fiddling, and... I rarely use my disable script since I have to start it manually everytime, and that's usually more hassle than needed. Still have a hard time understanding why people need >2h runtime on their remote...

Reactions: Bunny Too
Short of cutting a slit in the USB cable to isolate the VCC wire and cut it No . You could do that however and then heat shrink the cut and you should be fine . Just Google android USB Pinout for the plug layout but put a meter on it while connected to its charger to be sure it is the 5volt wire before you cut it .

Yeh you could do that or you could just

-Plug the usb cable into your phone first
-Power up the Controller & remove the Side cable.
-Plug usb cable into bottom of phone

Hi good folks!

Here is the easiest solution for your problem. Get a external power bank. If your using the full size USB port you can connect a power bank to the micro usb port and charge your controller while your flying. Just be sure the power bank output is 5V 1A. If you use one with a higher output it can harm the controller. I like this one...
Amazon.com: Jackery Giant+ Premium 12,000 mAh Dual USB Portable Battery Charger & External Battery Pack (Total 3.1A Output) with Panasonic Battery Cells for iPhone 7, 7 Plus, Galaxy & Other Smart Devices (Black): Cell Phones & Accessories

****, I bought a Z3 specifically for the mavic.

Sent from my D6603 using MavicPilots mobile app

Will I wouldn't even worry about it, it's a bit of a non issue. Admittedly it would be preferable for it not to charge, but it's not in any way a deal breaker. ......And, to put in to context, I went from an iOS device to the Sony as I prefer the Sony for its killer screen, despite the charging.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Last edited:
HOly S@#bA#ls. Do people even read others post

Remove the Side cable from the Controler!!

Working now, isnt it? yes

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada