DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to Stop RC Unit from charging Android phone?

When I first plug my iPhone 6s into controller and while fumbling with it to re-unlock screen, the process is interrupted by the charging tone, so I assumed my iPhone is being charged. Don't want it.

It definitely isn't being charged. Check your little icon on the top right, I'm assuming there's no little lightening bolt that indicates charging?

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Android USB connection requires about 30-50ma to run.
You can try adding 50 ohm resistor on positive (VCC) line of an USB cable.(RED cable) Limiting total current to 100mA at 5 volts
Will charge the phone but really slow. Normal charging from USB is 500-750mA.
Fast charging is more complicated but on 5 volts can be 1700-2000 + mA (too bad if the remote can provide this amount of power)
I made this cable just to try if phone can connect to PC. Connection was OK and data transfer is was OK. And phone is "charging" :)
Maybe tomorrow will try with cable OTG and remote.

Android USB connection requires about 30-50ma to run.
You can try adding 50 ohm resistor on positive (VCC) line of an USB cable.(RED cable) Limiting total current to 100mA at 5 volts
Will charge the phone but really slow. Normal charging from USB is 500-750mA.
Fast charging is more complicated but on 5 volts can be 1700-2000 + mA (too bad if the remote can provide this amount of power)
I made this cable just to try if phone can connect to PC. Connection was OK and data transfer is was OK. And phone is "charging" :)
Maybe tomorrow will try with cable OTG and remote.

I'm curious to hear your results with the 50 ohm resistor. Please do report back. Thanks.

Cable with 50 ohm is working ok. (tested for short periods of time)

The problem is tha stopping phone from charging will not make a big diference.

After measuring phone charge rate from remote .. this are the numbers:
Phone charge rate ~180mA at 4.5v ~ 800mW per hour ( Measured with USB charge measuring device.. not verry accurate but good enough )
Remote battery capacity (SPARK remote) 2970mAh , 3.7V (around 11000mWh or 11Wh) - data from DJI site

The remote itself is much bigger power cunsumer than phone ... 4 times bigger
950mA at 3.7V - 3500mW per hour - data from DJI site

Total consumption should be about 4000-5000mW/h
WIth discharge rate < 0.5C (power consumpriton of remote + phone) battery should be able to provide close to one hour of operation time.
Even if we stop remote from charging phone .. this will provide only 1/4 more time.
Not bad, but not a silver bullet too.

By the way i am a newbie in drone flights... and never tested what is the actual time.

Last edited:
I think people are getting this out of proportion. It is an extremely slow charge, and you still get 2hrs plus out of the rc. It's not really a huge problem at all.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

2 Hrs Plus ??? Pipe Dream. I just bought my Mavic AIR a day ago and the RC takes 3 hours to charge and lasts 30 minutes (without even flying) just with a phone attached and playing around with the menus to familiarize myself.

Here is the easiest solution for your problem. Get a external power bank. If your using the full size USB port you can connect a power bank to the micro usb port and charge your controller while your flying. Just be sure the power bank output is 5V 1A. If you use one with a higher output it can harm the controller. I like this one...
Amazon.com: Jackery Giant+ Premium 12,000 mAh Dual USB Portable Battery Charger & External Battery Pack (Total 3.1A Output) with Panasonic Battery Cells for iPhone 7, 7 Plus, Galaxy & Other Smart Devices (Black): Cell Phones & Accessories

I don.t know if anyone else has this experience but check out what was writte in another thread here

Charging the Mavic's RC using a mobile power bank: not recommended

Update 2018 0414@1510

Because I've been using a Power Bank for weeks that has kept the RC always at 100%. I decided to let it discharge to 30% while flying.

When I got home, I shut it down and then I tried 3 different AC chargers, and for each one the RC would charge a few percent and then stop charging. I interpreted this to mean that the RC's battery was not digesting well the sources of electrons. :confused:

So I got out the 50W charger that came with the RC and AC.

The RC reacted by steadily climbing toward 100%. Because I knew I would be flying again in less than 24 hours, I allowed it to go all the way to 100% per the manual.

Otherwise, I would have unplugged it at about 65% and topped it off the next time I was going to fly, as 65% is what DJI recommends when its batteries are not going to be used for a while.

I'm going to stick with the 50W charger from now on as the RC seems to prefer it. :p

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tore Korsnes