DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to turn all lights off?

How to turn off (and, on again) all lights on the aircarft?
Does this do what you want?
It's from the Phantom but the Mavic probably has a similar function in the app settings.
i-ZD29DBb-M.jpg

Why do you want to turn the lights off?

It is likely, if not now then very soon the way Drone laws are going, that you MUST have navigation lights on your aircraft.

In your environment I would not run with the lights off.
If you feel that it is not safe to run with them on don't fly.

Do you actually have an answer to his question? He didn't ask if it was safe or correct to fly with the lights off.

To the OP, the front lights can be turned off, but the only way currently to turn off the rears is to use dark tape.

Clearly, there are situations where one would want the lights off otherwise the Enterprise version would not have offered that function.

Do you actually have an answer to his question? He didn't ask if it was safe or correct to fly with the lights off.

To the OP, the front lights can be turned off, but the only way currently to turn off the rears is to use dark tape.

Clearly, there are situations where one would want the lights off otherwise the Enterprise version would not have offered that function.
Out of curiosity- give us one example of where it might be beneficial to have the rear boom lights off..... Bad reasons should prove easier to offer than good ones. They are certainly easier to imagine.

Reactions: jagraphics
Out of curiosity- give us one example of where it might be beneficial to have the rear boom lights off..... Bad reasons should prove easier to offer than good ones. They are certainly easier to imagine.

DJI must have thought of several to include it in the Enterprise version.

I can think of one reason where I recently needed it. I was flying indoors at night and I didn't want the flashing of the rear lights ruining my video as the flash of the lights bounced off all the walls and could be seen in the video.

But, I ask again, how does this discussion help to get the OP's question answered?

DJI must have thought of several to include it in the Enterprise version.

I can think of one reason where I recently needed it. I was flying indoors at night and I didn't want the flashing of the rear lights ruining my video as the flash of the lights bounced off all the walls and could be seen in the video.

But, I ask again, how does this discussion help to get the OP's question answered?
It seemingly doesn’t help the OP.

Your response satisfied my curiosity though- thank you. I can see how the rear strobes might be problematic in the scenario you described.

That response does not fit the senario I was replying to: "I hate the idea of drawing attention to myself.. And I don't want to get robbed.. "

That response does not fit the senario I was replying to: "I hate the idea of drawing attention to myself.. And I don't want to get robbed.. "
There are seemingly limited interpretations that might be made on the scenario presented. Probably the top of the list being I want to fly around at night without revealing the location where I am launching from and where the sUAV will be returning to land. second might be I know I shouldn't be flying in the proposed circumstances so would like to maximise my chances of doing so undetected. It might be that neither scenari presents a good case for flying without lights for most people.

Reactions: jagraphics
There are seemingly limited interpretations that might be made on the scenario presented. Probably the top of the list being I want to fly around at night without revealing the location where I am launching from and where the sUAV will be returning to land. second might be I know I shouldn't be flying in the proposed circumstances so would like to maximise my chances of doing so undetected. It might be that neither scenari presents a good case for flying without lights for most people.

The person I was replying to lives on the estuary that is the entrance to a harbour in a part of the world that has had a lot of terrorist activity for 50 years. So I can understand the not drawing attention from the "bad guys"* OTOH any form of clandestine activity is likley to be seen as a problem by "everyone" in particular the authorities particularly as it is a main shipping/ferry route.

*Your definitions of Good/Bad guys may vary to the OP, me and anyone else.

W
The person I was replying to lives on the estuary that is the entrance to a harbour in a part of the world that has had a lot of terrorist activity for 50 years. So I can understand the not drawing attention from the "bad guys"* OTOH any form of clandestine activity is likley to be seen as a problem by "everyone" in particular the authorities particularly as it is a main shipping/ferry route.

*Your definitions of Good/Bad guys may vary to the OP, me and anyone else.
What is your point?

W

What is your point?

That flying near/in a port area with a blacked out drone in a region that has had a LOT or terrorist activity for years is not a good idea.
Any group that does not identify the Drone as "one of theirs" is likely to take hostile action.

Getting caught by the police is probalby they safest option.

That flying near/in a port area with a blacked out drone in a region that has had a LOT or terrorist activity for years is not a good idea.
Any group that does not identify the Drone as "one of theirs" is likely to take hostile action.

Getting caught by the police is probalby they safest option.
Gotcha.

Still don’t understand the good guys bad guys comment- I never stated a position there.

My position was most in the sUAV hobby would question the intent of the operator who wanted to fly absent lights operating.

The ent version has the ability, as it's designed to be used in 'inclement zones' I.E War zones, hostile zones, crowd control etc etc etc. That's why it can go stealth, for the exact reason of stealth, making it a harder target to shoot down etc.

As for the M2's there's no 'real' reason to have a stealthy drone for 99.9% of stuff, but if you do want it, then black tape is the best/simplest way to go. Obviously means a manual on/off process so not a perfect solution, but hey.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661