DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How well does the Mini 2 do with obstructions between the remote and the drone?

shadow3467

Reactions
Currently have a mini 3 that gets terrible signal and even worse if theres even one or two trees between RC and drone

Probably going to return it and am looking into the Mini 2 but want to know how it does with signal strength in moderate altitude (30-50m) with a few obstacles in between remote and drone?

What's your experience been like?

Currently have a mini 3 that gets terrible signal and even worse if theres even one or two trees between RC and drone
That's the nature of the control signals that DJI drone's use.
You need a clear, unobstructed line of sight between the drone and controller.
The signal can't get through water.
Trees and their leaves are full of water.
Just a branch doesn't block signal bery much but add more branches and their leaves and soon, you get too much water for signal to penetrate.

That's completely normal.
Probably going to return it and am looking into the Mini 2 but want to know how it does with signal strength in moderate altitude (30-50m) with a few obstacles in between remote and drone?
It's unlikely that there would be any difference and altitude is irrelevant.

If anything, the Mini 3 Pro should be slightly better, as OcuSync 3+ is better than OcuSync 2.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
I have never had a signal blocked by pouring rain no matter how far out i was over the lake.

What I am curious of is this ? The Mavic 3 proved itself to me when I landed behind the lady House and kept signal for 6 hours. This was when I learned to respect the Ocu 3 as it was behind the house and I was in my house in the kitchen .

So I need to test the SC with the Alien Dual 2 Antennas system against the RC Pro now that I have one with the A2S .
Is the OcuSync 3 stronger , I suppose I need to land on that lady house again. UGH>! I will figure it out flying from the Car as its a good base line that I have established. I will record the experience as i have not seen that done yet.

One thing to note is that without using an Atennas system at all connected i was able to fly about 2000 ft before I lost signal on the SC , which blew my mind really at the time time and than when I connected and Powered on the Alien Antennas I got immediate signal back so i new it was really working .

What do you think ?

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water.

My m2 did very well
But the last firmware update changed all that
Now not so good :-(

Good morning to all-
I tend to wonder if the latest firmware update really did limit range on my Mini 2. When i first got it, the drone would fly well under control for a long way- I won't reveal how far, but it was a long way. At this time, I start to lose contact at about 2000 feet, and it goes into RTH at about 3000 feet.
Now, I don't know if the limitation in range comes from the firmware update or because I am flying around lots of trees with lots of water-holding leaves. when i had the much better range, it was late winter and the trees were not leafed out at all.
What do you all think? firmware limitation or full-summer thick leaf problem?

you all be safe and keep well- Ed

Now, I don't know if the limitation in range comes from the firmware update or because I am flying around lots of trees with lots of water-holding leaves. when i had the much better range, it was late winter and the trees were not leafed out at all.
What do you all think? firmware limitation or full-summer thick leaf problem?
Flying around leaves and water has no effect on signal strength.
Flying with trees blocking the signal between you and the drone affects signal strength.

what I've found is that one tree 200-400 feet from the controller doesn't really impact the signal. One tree 20-80 feet from the controller will

several trees in LOS will significantly impact the signal

I mean I have the mini 3 and it loses bars/signal 400 meters out so idk if thats better

there's also been people that have videos showing the mini 2 beat it in terms of signal strength
Your question was, "So does the Mini 2 have better signal [than the Mini 3 Pro]?"
In a word, no. The Mini 3 Pro signal is actually better than the Mini 2, as it uses the newer OcuSync 3+ instead of the older OcuSync 2. Please link to any video claiming differently. I'd like to see it.

There you go

I've seen this video on youtube before....and I've seen several people on youtube expressing the same problems with the Mini 3

the widespread negative feedback on the transmission range is a long ways past the point that any reasonable person could assume it's a user problem rather than a product problem

It makes me real happy that I'm not part of the mad rush to order a Mini 3. There is a major issue with the product line at this point and it might not be an easy fix

Reactions: ArnieZiffel

There you go
Thank you for providing the link. Even the YT poster himself concedes that the problem is only affecting half of all Mini 3 Pro owners. While it is a significant problem for them, it is not an inherent problem that differentiates the Mini 2 from all Mini 3 Pro's. If you get a good Mini 3 Pro, its range will be superior to a Mini 2. If you get, or already have a bad Mini 3 Pro, the Mini 2 may, indeed, have better range. Buy two Mini 3 Pro's from different suppliers and return the bad ones, until you get a good one, or wait until the problem is fixed. It isn't a problem common to ALL Mini 3 Pro's. Sounds like the slow HP acquisition on the Mavic 3's that is now fixed for all. It's not a deal killer. Just something to be aware of and worked around until it is fixed, if you are among the unlucky 50%.

Reactions: eva2000
Is the signal strength recorded anywhere i.e. DJI logs for a flight?
The AirData's rendering of the DJI log files only shows interference and where. Signal strength transmission is the same throughout the flight. How it is received at the other end depends upon intervening interference.

Reactions: eva2000
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J