DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How well does the Mini 2 do with obstructions between the remote and the drone?

It could only be measured at the receiving end.
That's at the drone for the uplink and at the controller for the downlink.
Thanks for clarifying. Just wanted to make sure my post #19 above was accurate.

So does the Mini 2 have better signal?
It "Should not" based on the systems in either of them. I take mine out to 1,300 ft with some trees in the way occasionally in the way and I only notice an issue when a hill and trees get in the way... Yes for the Karens loss of VLOS but when signal starts to stop, I stop and bring it back into VLOS to continue the flight... I pay close attention to the quality of my signal and on the mini 2 if it gets choppy I come back closer to the home point.

There has been a lot of discussion on just how much interference can the Mini 2 sustain and still maintain control with its Ocusync 2 and I'm sure you, as I have, all seen many, many YouTube Videos on the subject, but when it comes to actually putting my own Mini up to the test, it's scary…

I have played with the Return to Home and even posted my testing on the web site…

But I have never pushed the range issue. I live near the Chesapeake Bay in Hampton Roads, Virginia. There are two parks nearby where I like to fly and both have reservoirs adjacent to them… So, the water, both fresh and salt, draw a lot of seagulls and the forested areas with so much urban buildup, draws lots of crows and these are two species of birds I do not want my little Mini tying one on with…

So, on one of my recent "flights of fancy" to shoot a Photosphere, I let my little Mini fly over 1,600 away, over many heavy, and old growth trees.

But for those of you who might be asking, "If there were so many trees between you and the drone, then the drone was no longer visible…

Not to worry, I am a Boomer, and in my youth, I read lots of Comic Books and fell victim to several of the advertisements in the back of the Comic Books and I did buy the X-Ray Glasses and with my Vintage X-Ray Glasses, I was able to keep watch on my Mini through a third of a mile of trees over 1,600 feet…

That's my story and I'm sticking to it…

map.png

I flew North from the open field area in the park, next to the corrals, to the edge of the reservoir and shot a Photosphere. The imagery on my tablet remained clear and responsive. I stopped numerous times and did a 360-degree yaw to ensure I had not gotten the interest of any curious birds. However, at that distance, I was down to 3-Bars and the bars were no longer white, but a scary shade of orange…

I shot my Photosphere and quickly returned home, happy I was not going to be using my Care Refresh Policy.

Here is the photosphere I shot. Remember, in a photosphere, you can scroll around, look up and down and all around, and Zoom too…

A view of Lee Hall Reservoir from 300 Feet…

What a nice capture , looks amazing on the widescreen , but to bad the skies are all white, this is why stormy skies offer a little more in the sky.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the rain and take Photospheres of the Storm.

but to bad the skies are all white
I know, it was overcast and I was anxious to get the shot and get home before I attracted any curious gulls. I tried numerous settings and that was the best, but I will shoot it again and replace it with a better one, thanks for looking.

but having lived in British Columbia (mountains) for almost 50 years, all that flat land and horizon scares me!

I understand your feelings, I grew up in the Adirondack Mountains of Up-State New York…

Here is a link to a posting I did a short while back…

Currently have a mini 3 that gets terrible signal and even worse if theres even one or two trees between RC and drone

Probably going to return it and am looking into the Mini 2 but want to know how it does with signal strength in moderate altitude (30-50m) with a few obstacles in between remote and drone?

What's your experience been like?
I compared the signal strength for my Mini 3 and Mini 3 Pro under the same conditions with a significant tree canopy and found no noticeable or indicated difference.

See post #36, #37, and subsequent.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gplunk99