DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Considering downsizing to a Mini 3 Pro

SHRED

Reactions
I currently have a Mavic 2 Pro I rarely use and am considering a Mini 3 Pro.

The smaller size and quiet operation attract me. I would order one with a smart controller since I'm tired of hooking up my phone to fly.

Has anyone downsized like this?

Are you happy or do you regret the move?

I haven't downsized as such, but own a Mavic Pro (M1P) and a Spark, and still use both depending on needs.
The Spark does get more action interstate, where the whole kit is much more compact / lighter to take carry on when travelling by plane with cabin bag only.

If worried about any repetitive issues you hear about online (in the Mini 3 Pro section here in particular), just hang on a while, it should get better within a short time.

Not sure you'll like Fly as compared to Go4, but from what I've read on the forum, Fly has improved since I downloaded it a long time ago.

Yes, very much quieter from what I've read, camera probably nearly as good as the M2P (no variable -edit- shutter aperture), and of course a really good flight time as well (just over 30 mins).
The Plus battery if available there (yet ?) gives around 45 mins !

Last edited:

The smaller size and quiet operation attract me. I would order one with a smart controller since I'm tired of hooking up my phone to fly.

Have not downsized , have kept my drones and just added the mini 3 pro to my fleet and yes very pleased with it, was out last night at 2140 hrs , Sandown Isle of Wight and very very pleased with my images at that time of night, cheers Len

I have an Air 2S and a Mini 3. The Air 2S rarely gets flown.
The Mini 3 is such a lovely craft to fly and so fast to deploy with the new RC.

Reactions: Torque and whazzup
I did so (but not yet sold my M2P but never flew with it since I got the Mini 3 Pro).
Have a look/search on a bit older threads to see some impressions from others too. ;)

In short: it's a smooth transition however DJI Fly is still a dumbed down version of DJI Go 4. And I miss my SC a bit from hardware input and screen brightness. But I fully appreciate the silentness and the on par (or beyond) quality of it.

Reactions: 4wd and SHRED

I have downsized over the years. I started on Phantoms, then had a Mavic Pro and moved to the original Mavic Air purely for size reasons, then to the Mini2 and now I own a Mini 3 as well. I've kept them all. The Phantoms never get used, and neither does the Mavic Pro or the Mavic Air.

In all honesty, they're all great drones in their own way. I believe it's down to what the user does with them more than the equipment. But, if I had to choose one it would be the Mini3.

Let me start by saying I have had ZERO issues with my Mini 3 Pro. I could be wrong but my theory is that early adopters that are using units in North America that were intended for European distribution are having the most trouble with the range issue (not staying in FCC mode). My unit was bought local in the US, released by Drone Nerds on June 29, delivered on June 30 and has been flawless, far exceeding my expectations even after all of the fanboy hype. I cannot tell you how much I love my Mini 3 with DJI RC and Fly More Plus combo.

As I acquire new drones I tend to shed the ones that have no specific purpose in my lineup. I now have the following and am also trying to figure out if one should go:

1. Mavic Air - LOVE that I can fly with the phone only (or no remote at all) when I am bringing it out for selfies, etc. Huge mistake to omit that functionality from the Mini 3 Pro which would otherwise be the perfect travel drone. For this reason, I find it hard to let go of the Air. I had the same struggle shedding my Spark but finally let it go. Now I want one again.

2. Air 2 - Solid performer. Excellent in conditions that might make me uncomfortable to break out the Mini 3P. It was my sweet spot, all around go to. Feels wrong to let this one go.

3. Mavic 2 Zoom. Only drone with true optical zoom for more serious use. While hard to let this one go, this is on the top of my list for separation as I just don't have much of a use for it and tend to hold onto it because it's my tank. I'd probably get the biggest bang for the buck in terms of $$ so this could be the one.

OR maybe I just hold onto all of them. Such a conundrum. :)

I made the same downsize move too… I had originally been thinking of selling the M2P once I put the Mini 3 through its paces, but now I’m leaning toward holding onto both. A few reasons, but top on the list is simply the DJI GO vs DJI FLY bit. I typically fly the M2P with my Moverio headset and that’s just not possible with the Mini 3 as far as I can see and it’s not likely to change in the future. Additionally, I do/have occasionally flown Litchi missions with the M2P, which also would not be possible with the Mini 3. So, now I’m leaning towards keeping both and only leveraging the M2P in more demanding situations…

Last edited:
I’ve not downsized as such, just added the Mini 3 Pro to my bag alongside my DJI Air 2s. As has been said, the portability, diminutive size and speed of deployment of the Mini 3 Pro are big pluses. I’m also very happy with the image quality. The RC with its built in screen has been a delight to use - your mileage may vary but I like that I don’t have to faff about with my phone.

My Air 2s however is going nowhere, was flying it yesterday and although the Mini 3 Pro will likely get most flight time I simply enjoy how the Air 2s handles even if it is slower to get airborne. At a pinch I could probably get by with just the Mini 3 Pro but I’ve no plans to do that just yet.

Good luck with your decision

Reactions: Torque and SHRED
I had a M2Z and bought a Mini 2 to use in situations where regulations prohibited the M2Z. As it turned out I rarely used my Mini 2 as the picture quality wasn't that impressive and it just felt too much like a downgrade. I sold both the M2Z and the Mini 2 to fund the Mini 3 Pro and haven't regretted it for a second.

The latest firmware has fixed many things, I no longer have range concerns, the compass can be switched to "DJI Go 4 mode" which I REALLY love, and the issues with the 12MP DNGs have gone.

The quality is better than my M2Z. I can fly it pretty much wherever I want to, it's quieter than both the M2Z and the Mini 2. I'm really pleased I made the swap. It doesn't feel at all like a downgrade .. the ONE thing I miss is that powerful motor noise of the Mavic 2, zoom up to something in Sports mode and then go into reverse and it made a really satisfying braking noise. I miss that. But that's all :)

I will add that I had better start the selling process soon for my M2P. The marketplace looks it's starting to get loaded with them.

I forgot to mention, another consideration for me was that my M2Z had a lot of miles on it. I've no idea how long it'd keep running, but obviously not forever. I didn't fancy being the one flying it when it decided to fall out the sky, so figured a new drone with new motors might be a worthwhile longer-term investment.

Reactions: SHRED
I made the same downsize move too… I had originally been thinking of selling the M2P once I put the Mini 3 through its paces, but now I’m leaning toward holding onto both. A few reasons, but top on the list is simply the DJI GO vs DJI FLY bit. I typically fly the M2P with my Moverio headset and that’s just not possible with the Mini 3 as far as I can see and it’s not likely to ch age tin the future. Additionally, I do/have occasionally flown Litchi missions with the M2P, which also would not be possible with the Mini 3. So, now I’m leaning towards keeping both and only leveraging the M2P in more demanding situations…
You make a great point about Litchi. I am assuming the Mini 3 doesn't have Litchi support yet and I don't think I've ever tried using it with my Air 2, but I assume the SDK has been around for that for a while and that works.

Sold my Air 2S and got the Mini 3 Pro. I still have a Mini 2 as a back up. Wife and I are getting back into travelling after the Covid shutdown. We just returned from an Atlantic Canada trip and have to say, the Mini 3 for size, performance, and set up time is the ticket 🎟. The Air 2S is a super drone, but, I found I was using the Mini 2 more.

I’d say the word is compatibility…at least for me and what I hear from others on the forum.

PS…the Air 2S went to a good home. 😊

Reactions: FireAnt and SHRED
You might want to consider stability, depending on the wind. The Mini 3 is a lighter drone and (apparently) not as stable in gusty conditions.

After years of using Go4 I've found Fly irritating for hiding information I want to see. Some of that is undoubtably familiarity, but some is poor interface design (like white numbers against the sky).

Depending on your budget, it might hake sense to keem the Mavic 2 as a backup drone. I know I was glad I still had my Phantom when I had to send my Mavic in for repair, because I could keep flying while the tech was waiting for the part to arrive.

I travel around the country shooting commercial property. I used the Mavic 2 Pro for years, and while I still take it with me for backup, I have been only using the Mini 3 Pro since it was released.

It is smaller, lighter, no need to constantly deal with compass issues, much better range, etc. I have this one building that I have to fly around every month or so (as it's under construction) and the Mavic 2 would drop signal when it was on the other side EVERY time. The Mini 3 has never dropped signal on that same POI circle.

Seriously.. I would take a pic but I'm not home. This small drone, controller, and battery pack are one third to one quarter the size of the Mavic Pro 2, its controller, the tablet I use with it, the tablet adapter for the controller, the 5 batteries that last about 25 min each, the and speed charger. Probably 1/8th the weight of all that as well.

When I travel with coworkers (who are on the financial side) and they have a small carry on while I am hauling my bigger one that is 3/4 used up by the Mavic Pro 2, I can't wait for the day that I feel safe enough to just take the Mini and that's it.

Sample Mini 3 videos (both taken with a higher frame rate as I didn't have the ND filters yet)

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robqwe