DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

HowTo switch between DJI Go version (ios)

swoermck

Reactions
Hi experts,

as iTunes ditched the Apps management a few months ago (I think somewhere from 12.7.x), and already a longer time ago I realized that I have no local copy of my DJI Go 4 app in the backup folder (also changed that there is no local backup of installed apps anymore,) I switched to "iMazing" to manage the apps on my iPhone.

So that brought me to the idea that I may can switch between different DJI Go version? I'm currently running DJI Go 4.1.3, Firmware .900, ios 10.3.3., and very happy with it - as the old saying goes: "..never touch running system.."

With iMazing I have a local copy of the DJI Go 4 app (and all other apps), so the idea I have:

upgrading (in case I may decide for a Mavic air as my 2nd rig):
- make a copy of apps (using iMazing)
- update DJI Go 4 app via Apps Store

downgrading - in case I run into problems or just want to have back my "patched" 4.1.3 version for the Mavic Pro ;-)
- delete latest DJI Go 4 app from my iPhone
- restore DJI Go 4 from my iMazing backup

Would that work? Or will the latest DJI Go 4 version leave "traces" on the iPhone, so I'll never be able to run 4.1.3 again, although able to restore it from the backup?

cheers,

Stefan

Stefan, I currently do this, with the version of iTunes that Apple released which still allows local App backups, so that I don't lose the last Go 4 version that the 32-channel hack work on. I doubt that you will have any leftover configuration issues rolling back to an older / desired version of the DJI Go 4 app. Basically, I believe all of the settings for an IOS app or either stored in that applications container (which would be replaced with the older version) or in iCloud (where you can delete each apps data), so your plan should work.

Thanks for pointing out iMazing as it looks like an IDEAL app going forward for backing up and managing IOS devices. I've done a little research on it now and it looks like the app backup / restore part of it is free, do you know if that true?

-Stach

Reactions: Kilrah
Hi Stach,

thanks for your feedback, so this looks like a plan :)

As far as I can see in the FAQ, the free version of iMazing has limitations in number of items (extract backup files: 10 items, file transfer 100 items etc.), so after testing it for a while I was convinced and bought the full version. And as you mentioned: replacing/backing up the dji.config file: just a matter of drag-and-drop with iMazing!

Stefan

Hi. A little late but i am looking for an Odder version of DJI go 4 like 4.1.12 or 4.1.16 that works with fcc. If you backed up one of those could you then please share them with me?

You need to use the documented method to grab it yourself with your credentials, search a bit for the post about this.

Hi. A little late but i am looking for an Odder version of DJI go 4 like 4.1.12 or 4.1.16 that works with fcc. If you backed up one of those could you then please share them with me?
why do you want such an early version? The FCC hack works on 4.2.24

Huh? You mean on the latest dji go 4 version? How do you manage this when the wifi option turns up without the cancel region button? And i asume you got it to work on IOS?

Well it should work then:) I’ll try it again later this weekend.
Thank’s for helping me:)

Update:
Just recognized that iMazing will use the saved IPA file when restoring from the backup of our IOS device - but will still download the latest version from the Apple Store in case the app is not installed on the device yet. Just recognized this after cleaning my iPad :-(

I also have a "FCC compatible" DJI Go 4 app running on my iPhone (4.1.3 working fine), and this version should also work on an iPad - but do you know any other way how to transfer this version from my iPhone to my iPad without iTunes/downloading?

thanks,

Stefan

This is the answer I got from iMazing support:

"Do you have iOS 8 or below installed on that device? If not, unfortunately, that is not possible, as since iOS 9, Apple has removed the ability to export apps as ".ipa" files."

In short: even if you have a backup up of your app, as soon as you switch to a new device (and no DJI GO app on it), even iMazing will download the latest version from Apple, no way to put your old version to the new device :-(

Just learned it now, as I got the new iPad Mini 2019.

If you have itunes you also have to delete whatever GO4 files are stored within itunes, I think under mobile applications or something..If you don't delete those then you may run into problems trying to download another version of Go4 on your device!

already a while ago I posted this, also how to "preserver" a "FCC Hack" compatible DjI Go Version.

Now last week was my day to switch iPhones from (6s to 11pro). I already accepted the fact that I will keep the iPhone 6s with DJI Go 4.1.3 version for the "FCC Hack": in fact after you start the Mavic Pro with an iPhone running DjI Go 4.1.3 (until you see the live view of your Mavic's camera), you can pull the lightning cable from you iPhone and connected another iPhone/iPad, running the latest DJI Go version, your Mavic will keep the FCC mode!!! This is what I already practised when using my iPad for flying (latest DJI Go Version): boot up with iPhone and DJI Go 4.1.3, and connect iPad afterwards.

And now to my surprise:

Since some iOS 13 versions ago, you can setup a new iPhone by keeping your old iPhone in bluetooth reach. This will automatically setup your new iPhone (in my case iPhone 11s), copying all settings from your old one (In my case iPhone 6s) and something more.. ?

.. and after the new iPhone finished the setup procedure (including downloading some of the apps previously installed on the old iPhone), I checked the version of the DJI Go version: still version 4.1.3, and checking on first flight, FCC mode active!!! Not sure how that worked (maybe the setup procedure simply copied the old DJI Go version with all settings), but happy that I still can use the old version with the new iPhone.

S to sum up: although you cannot manually transfer on old DJI Go version to your new device, using the automatic setup procedure from Apple for your iPhones seem to do the trick!

Thought maybe worth sharing with you all in case you're upgrading your device as well and want to keep your old DJI Go version!

have fun,

Stefan

I can confirm Stefan’s findings above. I’ve just totally cleared and reset an iPad. I then used another iOS device to setup the reset iPad and restored from an iCloud backup. Go4 was still asking for an update from the old version that I use.

Hi experts,

as iTunes ditched the Apps management a few months ago (I think somewhere from 12.7.x), and already a longer time ago I realized that I have no local copy of my DJI Go 4 app in the backup folder (also changed that there is no local backup of installed apps anymore,) I switched to "iMazing" to manage the apps on my iPhone.

So that brought me to the idea that I may can switch between different DJI Go version? I'm currently running DJI Go 4.1.3, Firmware .900, ios 10.3.3., and very happy with it - as the old saying goes: "..never touch running system.."

With iMazing I have a local copy of the DJI Go 4 app (and all other apps), so the idea I have:

upgrading (in case I may decide for a Mavic air as my 2nd rig):
- make a copy of apps (using iMazing)
- update DJI Go 4 app via Apps Store

downgrading - in case I run into problems or just want to have back my "patched" 4.1.3 version for the Mavic Pro ;-)
- delete latest DJI Go 4 app from my iPhone
- restore DJI Go 4 from my iMazing backup

Would that work? Or will the latest DJI Go 4 version leave "traces" on the iPhone, so I'll never be able to run 4.1.3 again, although able to restore it from the backup?

cheers,

Stefan
This works great! I have mine saved in Itunes thou I have since gone another route.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Michael N