DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I’m so sick of these PROHIBITED signs everywhere I go in Los Angeles

I flew at Malibu a few months ago to get some shots of the pier. Didn't see any signs and at dawn not very many people. I think flying at dawn reduces the chance of problems in general. Santa Monica Pier was another story. It was inside 5 mi. of the Santa Monica Airport. Even at dawn lots more going on. Would love to get some aerial pics of the rides on the pier.

Nice anecdotal story, but here in Iowa we had a teenager lose control of his drone in a public park (they are banned in this particular park) and he hit a little kid with it. It cut the kid's face open pretty bad and put him in the hospital, requiring plastic surgery to fix.

So, it's not all "fear mongering." Flying in close proximity to other people who aren't involved can be a bad idea, and it can end up with worse than broken props.
You can't use the exception to the rule as a standard, but yea you shouldn't fly low around people like that without consent. If you talk about car accidents most are minor dings and bangs, but if you look for terrible loss of life cars piling up accident as the standard or very likely, then no one would have a car. Or DUIs. If you drive at night you'll be hit by one of be one. Most crashes or banging into people are a couple of F yous since it lands itself with dead battery before it can drop. The good ones have sensors like my pro and unless you intentionally or are flying through a crowd with no vision, parks and beach and golf courses should be fine. We don't make plans fly around the national monuments because one time 4 planes went down on 9/11. Not a joke, my nextdoor neighbor worked in a different trade center tower, and from a NYC commuter city, friends parents and uncles and people you just knew lost their lives. But!! We got back up and kept flying. You should take a little risk and make beautiful footage for the world to see. Instead of politics and hate speech, you will show from the sky the reasons why this country was already great, but has a lot of issues that capitalism created, medical insurance, and I don't need to say his name. He's Voltimore to me. Showing protests like downtown women's March was amazing to see from a drone or the blood moon. We are so lucky to have life on this planet, and drones are used to show that, create films and culture, and soon commernce. The police and government watching us, yea that sucks. It's too late, Ed Snowden and WikiLeaks showed us that Zuckerberg runs the world. The government knows thousands of things about you from Facebook and their companies. So let's say F you to their evil uses and use our drones to make people feel good. (Also for landing on company buildings with a raspberry pi, and hacking their Network haha.)

Come on folks.... this is NOT an opportunity for your political/social rants! Stay on topic or don't post!

Reactions: dirkclod
First off WELCOME to the forum. That's a fairly bold post for your very first post on the forum.

Laws are "merely" suggestions? Please cite your source on that statement.

With all due respect, that speaks volumes about you and your character in relation to our industry as a whole.

You do realize that not everyone on the planet is flying micro/mini sUAS? The rules are for ALL sUAS (at least in the USA) weighing less than 55lbs. Just because you're toy sUAS is micro doesn't mean you shouldn't play it safe as if it could do damage.

Also (I cringe even bringing this VERY controversial video up but I can't help myself apparently) have you seen the video of the airplane wing and the Phantom?

Ok what about the Phantom and the UH-60 Blackhawk Helo that cost hundreds of thousands of $$ to repair?

The above article goes into details and even has pictures to show what damage the Phantom did to a Combat Ready Aircraft.... I can't help but think what difference it might make if this had been a non-Combat built aircraft.... or what if it had impacted the Tail Rotor Assembly?
I'm sorry I don't know like 90 percent of your post. I'm just a shooter who loves to make art from pictures and moving ones too.(preferably at 23.98 ha 24 frames per second. I said near an airport is stupid. I'm just saying, and I'm a liberal, the government doesn't have to get so involved in everything we do. Common sense says do not fly straight at child's head, well not for me but.., and if people are stupid punish them in civil court unless a machete was hanging from it. Machete 3 plot idea. These rules or local laws are not passed and registering with FAA is cool. I did that and I feel like we are in Avengers Civil War, should the govt have the ability to track and limit superheoes powers? I don't know what models or whatever you mentioned except the Phantom, but nowadays all these drones have sensors and landing without falling out the sky on low battery, and the quick release are quick release hah. they fly off in a mess if you try to hover in your apt for first time. I mean a friend told me. If you'd drone doesn't have those features and you built it, then I would hope the mechanic who built the car can drive it, or the architect of a building does say put the big wood thingies over there. What's this grey liquid that's cementing me into the ground? I'm saying less govt, and I am for all the liberal stuff bla bla bla, but we can't be selective, it's a slippery slope. Bicycles never get a ticket going backwards wrong way on sidewalk, but scooter kid gets pulled over for Driver's license check even though the state law says it's ok. That's why I say suggestion. City laws? State Laws? Federal Laws? I can grab weed anywhere around here and sell it with all the stuff .. walk across state border to Nevada and that convience store item is now a felony , or used
to be, they were still not decriminalizing it.tha ks for saying I'm bold. I am bipolar so manic me is like this and depressed me will prob not respond. Example, Claire Danes character from Homeland. She's batty, but she's **** good.

I don’t think they would allow it to be flown in a park, so it doesn’t count. :)
someone asked me earlier about laws and cute my source. I found where I heard about. It was in a newspaper in Sedona, this where you go to see the red rocks, so highly dense drone area . People ignored their signs, and the city and the state agreed there shouldn't be drone use, but , and here's the federal government s reaction. They cannot control airspace, the federal government is the only one who can as all airspace is federal, and they have no legislation to ban that area.

Whoa no drug talk here. ?
If you're talking about my profile pic haha. I get it then. That's our Beastie boys watcha want music video. He has a stick and mine is a cigarette, but thought the pic was cool. I would love to have the Mavic follow us on a walk and do some crazy stuff being followed. I said before Santa Monica college front garage is the best spot ever if you're there and want all of Los Angeles

jagraphics said:
Life used to be so simple. :)
[/QUOTE]

It says 'airplane' not 'aircraft'. One is all encompassing while the other is specifically fixed wing (only because they haven't got round to updating it).

I just sold mine as fed up with nowhere interesting to fly. Sure, take off from a bridleway over some fields - but that got old very quickly.

It says 'airplane' not 'aircraft'. One is all encompassing while the other is specifically fixed wing (only because they haven't got round to updating it).

I just sold mine as fed up with nowhere interesting to fly. Sure, take off from a bridleway over some fields - but that got old very quickly.

Where did you want to fly?

Last edited by a moderator:
You all do realize that these prohibitions only affect what you can do with your feet planted firmly on the ground in the park? Set right outside of the park grounds and fly the [Language removed by Moderator] aircraft where ever you want. Only the FAA has jurisdiction over airspace. Even with respect to the airspace immediately above your own property. I believe there is some provision for a minimum altitude before you cross into the territory of the property owner but staying at 300-400 feet you should be more than fine.

just don’t launch them or land them in the park

Last edited by a moderator:
Take off from public right away, don't fly over peeps. And you're legal if airspace is clear.

Reactions: Atomic Flip
c'mon drone community pull your head out. quit saying "just take off from outside the park" as if that's the best/only answer and nothing else needs to be done. it isn't the answer. if we just rely on that, we're screwed.

"cities and states can pass all the laws they want, i don't care; only the faa can tell me what to do in the air" that's a pipe dream, doesn't work in the real world. drone community better get a clue before it's too late. :(

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart