DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I’m so sick of these PROHIBITED signs everywhere I go in Los Angeles

Indeed my Mavic Air is not a model airplane but, as you mentioned, my fear is to be lumped into the same category and get grief about it. I live near Culver City Park and Kenneth Hahn parks here in LA and both have the same sign. Both are on clear airspace and are very lightly populated on weekdays, yet I find those **** signs. I will probably put it up in the air one of these days and test my luck to see where it goes. I’ll be posting the result here. Thank you for your input!

Takeoff from a public sidewalk just outside the park and make sure the home point updates there. Then walk into the park while flying your Mavic air and they can’t say anything because you didn’t launch in the park. Then when your Mavic air needs to land send it to the home point. ?

Takeoff from a public sidewalk just outside the park and make sure the home point updates there. Then walk into the park while flying your Mavic air and they can’t say anything because you didn’t launch in the park. Then when your Mavic air needs to land send it to the home point. ?

Umm NEGATIVE! IT does not say ,"Launch/Land" it saying Flying From... if you are standing on their property, you are in control of the aircraft (hence flying) from their property. That argument has long since sailed many moons ago.

In fact you even called it that in your post "while flying your Mavic air".... the sign specifically says "Flying"

Last edited:
Reactions: Thomas B
I am also inthe UK but you know what the legal system (anywhere in the world) is like. the Lawyers will spend s LOT of your money splitting hairs and creating precedents and "clarifying" the wording of the law.

A Drone is an aircraft (hence under the jurisdiction of FAA, CAA, AnyAA) the same as a helicopter and 747 are. One is a fixed wing aircraft the other a rotary wing aircraft.
The argument is: Is a DJI drone (we are on MAvic Pilots web site) a model aircraft or just an Aircraft?

The argument is that it is not like model RC aircraft a model of a full size aircraft but the DJI drones are "full size". Therefore not a model aircraft.

Please note: as you are not a qualified lawyer you can not approach the bench (or reply) Please instruct your Very Expensive Lawyer/Solicitor/Barrister to reply on your behalf.......

Life used to be so simple. :)
Byelaws are great, heres the one for my local park.

As you can see no powered aircraft.. but more importantly you cant play cricket or hang any washing out either!!

Drones are not model planes? Splitters will not have a good defense in court with a Judge that’s a lumper.

Besides, there are full sized versions of Parots that carry people now so yeah, drones are model airplanes...

Anyways, OP: why not fly at other legal places? There are 4 National Forests surrounding you, along with miles of open space above the LA River, Whittier Narrows airpark, etc.

Also see if these closer locations in Los Angeles still allow drones:

Last edited:
Reactions: BigAl07
Takeoff from a public sidewalk just outside the park and make sure the home point updates there. Then walk into the park while flying your Mavic air and they can’t say anything because you didn’t launch in the park. Then when your Mavic air needs to land send it to the home point. [emoji3]
But often they include "operate" and since you walked in with the controls, you are operating within the park.

Sign says "propelling objects", but doesn't state the type of propulsion, so they could use that loophole against you.
But then any movement is a propulsion, including walking.

Can I throw darts?

Pretty much every park also has clauses in their full conditions (not on sign) about banning things deemed disruptive or banning anything they want at their discretion.
Ultimately, their park, their rules. If someone tells you to stop doing something, whatever it is, you have to stop or leave the premises. Certainly in the UK.
In lots of UK parks, especially busy ones you'd struggle to comply with actual aviation regulations regarding distance from people, crowds, overflight, congested areas and so on regardless.
And even if you are complying in theory there are various public order offences that can be used against you depending on what and how you're doing it.

Reactions: BigAl07
If I saw that sign in the UK I would fly my m2p because it does not state drones. Agree with @LenSavage it is not a model airplane stone or javelin.
In the UK they can only ban you from taking off from there property but not flying above it, that comes under caa jurisdiction which says you can so long as you are flying according to the drone law.
So if I saw that sign I would launch from there.
Just different laws.
Not quite that simple I'm afraid.

Although there are specific sections within CAP393 appertaining to SUAS operations, within the UK certain entities also have the power to prohibit flight over their property by way of bylaws.
The National Trust is one example whereby the flight of powered model aircraft (which includes UAS) is prohibited.
These bylaws were introduced when the land was gifted to the people by the crown.
I have undertaken work for some National Heritage sites but there were hoops to jump through regarding permissions, site surveys (which had to be supplied) and a member of their staff had to be present when risk assessments were completed.
In all cases they also required an uplift in liability cover over £5million

Last edited:
Ultimately, their park, their rules.
Are we talking about a private park with rules set by the owner? Like an amusement park? I'm confused. Who do I need to get permission from to enjoy the park? Certainly you are not talking about the city park which is owned by the people, not the government, and the "rules" have to conform with the law and you have to be breaking the law to be told you cannot use your own park. Oh wait, I'm talking about in America; you're talking about in the UK. My bad. Geography matters.

Agreed that some restrictions do apply. It's not a free-for-all.

Drones are not model planes? Splitters will not have a good defense in court with a Judge that’s a lumper.

Besides, there are full sized versions of Parots that carry people now so yeah, drones are model airplanes...

Anyways, OP: why not fly at other legal places? There are 4 National Forests surrounding you, along with miles of open space above the LA River, Whittier Narrows airpark, etc.

Also see if these closer locations in Los Angeles still allow drones:

Out of those 5 best places to fly in Los Angeles, you can actually just fly on 1 of them.... the Apollo XII airfield in Van Nuys part of the San Fernando Flyers. I fly there but have to spend 40 minutes in traffic each way.

McArthur park and Lake Hollywood are a no no now

Hermosa beach pier - cannot fly there unless you get a permit from the city of Hermosa Beach at the tune of $140 a year

Point Vicente Lighthouse in PV - you have to get a permit for $10 from the city of RPV, join AMA, and join SCORCH (an ama sanctioned RC helicopter club) for $50 a year more.

Can also fly on Lot H in the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, but that’s far as hell from me.
[Removed by Moderator]

Last edited by a moderator:
Are we talking about a private park with rules set by the owner? Like an amusement park? I'm confused. Who do I need to get permission from to enjoy the park? Certainly you are not talking about the city park which is owned by the people, not the government, and the "rules" have to conform with the law and you have to be breaking the law to be told you cannot use your own park. Oh wait, I'm talking about in America; you're talking about in the UK. My bad. Geography matters.

Agreed that some restrictions do apply. It's not a free-for-all.

The pic of the sign is in Culver City Park. There is also one in Kenneth Hahn park. Both parks are in clear airspace and are part of parks and recreation in Los Angeles. The website of Parks and Rec indicates that they are UAV friendly but it’s up to the park administration to decide on the rules. Have not found a single park yet in town that let’s you fly “for your safety’s” sake.

Not quite that simple I'm afraid.

Although there are specific sections within CAP393 appertaining to SUAS operations, within the UK certain entities also have the power to prohibit flight over their property by way of bylaws.
The National Trust is one example whereby the flight of powered model aircraft (which includes UAS) is prohibited.
These bylaws were introduced when the land was gifted to the people by the crown.
I have undertaken work for some National Heritage sites but there were hoops to jump through regarding permissions, site surveys (which had to be supplied) and a member of their staff had to be present when risk assessments were completed.
In all cases they also required an uplift in liability cover over £5million
It was determined that the caa govern the airspace above and so long as you are flying according to the ANO flight over is permitted, same as for aircraft.
I stand to be corrected on this but that was the CAA official response to the same query.

.... but it’s up to the park administration to decide on the rules.

are you ok with this? i guess i can't tell.

because we have a park administration in our area, too but they don't get to "decide on the rules" we don't allow that.

btw, i was replying to the comments from the person from the UK but i guess Cali is close enough to the UK....closer than any other state in the US. I guess I was surprised by the residents. Anyway, it's hard to tell in this forum and in this thread what people stand for, so sometimes I just ask; not a big deal. I see in the first post you said your area is not drone friendly, got it!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d