DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I am a new Mavic 2 Pro owner and new to MavicPilots. I want to use a tablet, but not sure which is best.

I have used a TeClast Pro 8 android tablet from gearbest for the last year or so, with a tablet holder for my Mavic Pro and then my Mavic 2 Pro. But I found that with the Mavic 2 Pro Controller, for some reason, the tablet was drawsing more power and drained the battery faster than it did with the original MP.

I recently bought a Mini 4 on Amazon Prime for $245, refurbished, but it was kind of a screwy unit so I returned it. (It kept crashing with the DJI app.)

I then bought a refurbished one directly from Apple dot-com and it was much better. It was only $309 with free shipping, plus tax. Came with the one-year warranty and all the original cables, manuals, Etc. Just be careful about the quality of the lightning cables you buy, it does matter.

I do use a sunshade on my tablet & ipad mini 4. Really helps. Operating from inside your vehicle helps the operator, but can reduce the signal strength obviously.

No. I suggest the 128GB model, w/o wifi.
If I were to buy a tablet (and that will happen sooner or later) why would I not want Wi-Fi? My setup now is that when I get home, as soon as I get Wi-Fi coverage my device sends my flight data to Airdata automatically. So whats the downside of a Wi-Fi tablet?

If I were to buy a tablet (and that will happen sooner or later) why would I not want Wi-Fi? My setup now is that when I get home, as soon as I get Wi-Fi coverage my device sends my flight data to Airdata automatically. So whats the downside of a Wi-Fi tablet?
Well if you use the wifi for that then get a tablet with wifi. I only use mine for flight monitor only, period. What I am saying you can get the cheapest model, but make sure you get 128 GB.

You can't get a tablet without wifi.
Perhaps he meant he'd recommend not getting a wifi only tablet (although it really doesn't make much difference).

Reactions: pelagic_one
I tried Android, my main devices are IOS. I seem to have issues with Android like video jerkiness and the compass in the lower left corner gives me issues. The IOS devices work 99.9% of the time. So opt to use iOS.

I tried Android, my main devices are IOS. I seem to have issues with Android like video jerkiness and the compass in the lower left corner gives me issues. The IOS devices work 99.9% of the time. So opt to use iOS.
Neither of those issues were related to Android.
The jerkiness would have been because the tablet you used was underpowered.
The radar display issue was simply because the compass in the tablet was deflecting with the magnetic fields that belong to the controller.
That could have been corrected by calibrating the (tablet's) compass while it's connected to the controller.

You could have had the same problems with iOS devices too.

I'm at the verge of investing on a better screen for my M2Z, and I'm still undecided if Smart Controller or a tablet. I live in Canada, so flying in extremely cold weather is a constant problem. Can anyone vouch for Smart Controller vs Android vs iPad battery behavior in ~8F?
I use a Galaxy S10+, so a phablet (big phone) setup. Cables are messy and in the way, app doesn't allow to turn off charging, and it's draining my controller battery VERY fast (50% of battery in a 10 min flight) on cold weather.

Only reading this post now as I am thinking of upgrading to buying a dedicated tablet for flying my MA- 2 . Is a second hand ipad 4 still a good option ? or I can get a Huawei M5 lite on amazon for 150 euro approx . Don't want to spend a huge amount so anyone recommend either of the above or other alternatives ? Thanks in advance

Only reading this post now as I am thinking of upgrading to buying a dedicated tablet for flying my MA- 2 . Is a second hand ipad 4 still a good option ? or I can get a Huawei M5 lite on amazon for 150 euro approx . Don't want to spend a huge amount so anyone recommend either of the above or other alternatives ? Thanks in advance
My iPad Mini 4 (bought it refurbished from Apple, with warranty) has been one of the best decisions I've ever made, other than going with the Mavic 2 Pro of course. I've got 5 batteries and it will last way beyond the flight time for all batteries. The controller might run low before I run out of charged batteries, but the iPad keeps on running without needing frequent recharging in between.

Get a sunscreen / monitor shade as well as the tablet holder. You'll be very glad you have both while flying during the brighy Daylight hours.

An Apple product may be the better choice. Many claim the DJI products work better with them.
Many claim this but it's just not true.
DJI products work just as well with either operating system.

I'm currently using an android Mi Note 9 made by god knows who and I've never had an issue.
Like Lbesing I also have multiple batteries so maybe a second hand apple ipad will have too short a battery life to last a full evenings flying ? . Would like to know what ye android users are using please so I can weigh up both options thanks

Pretty much everyone is going to have a bit of a different opinion on this question. I fly DJI drones both for work and pleasure and have used iPhone 5S, an iPhone 7, Samsung Galaxy S8, iPad Mini 4, Ipad Air 1, Ipad Air 2, a Smart Controller, and a recently purchased iPad Pro (Which blew off a table while on a tablet holder and cracked the corner of the screen).

All worked reasonably well with the exception of the iPhone 5S which is starting to give memory overload messages. I like the simplicity of the Smart Controller (bright screen and not cords), but it is expensive. Depending on what I am doing, I often prefer the larger screen of the full size iPads.

What iPad a person would consider would be somewhat driven by what else you might use it for.

In my opinion, the best bang for the buck right now for using DJI flying software would be a used iPad Air 2. They are a couple of hundred dollars for a good one used and can be purchased with cellular capabilities. A 16 GB one is likely all you need if you are just going to use it for flying. If it is dropped, or blows off a table and breaks, you will only be out a couple of hundred dollars as opposed to $1,000.

Reactions: Mazdaman323lx
Many claim this but it's just not true.
DJI products work just as well with either operating system.
And that is why the word ”claim” was used. What it really boils down to is Android verses iOS.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markshsv