DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I am amazed about the Mavic Pro

macoman

Reactions
I just have my mavic pro for around three months and still amazed about this little beast. I never unfold the controller antennas and this provide me over a mile without losing any signal. The mavic is one of the best distance drone anyone could have. It never stop of surprising me. I also today discovered the autonomous flying modes that you can automatically program and have so many that I will try next time. As you guys see, in this three months, I have been flying around four to five times due to weather conditions. Hopefully I will be able to fly more this summer, it has been raining every **** weekend in the past month and half.

Don’t do this. You risk loosing your drone. It happens faster than you think.
But this is in occusyn mode, not WiFi. Occusyn give you more than just a mile without issues. Now if I was on WiFi, yes I agreed with you.

Yes, the Mavic Pro is an awesome drone!

BUT - take Zapiture's advice and unfold the antennas. Sure you can fly without unfolding them, but why would you do so? There are so many things that can go wrong, and if you read this forum and DJI's forum you will see that things actually go bad quite often!
So, try to minimize risk and learn from others.

Next time - unfold those antennas :)

Unfold the antennas and position them correctly. It's the proper way to use the controller.

I got mine at the beginning of April and have been flying as often as possible. It's a great drone and an incredible amount of fun.

Reactions: macoman
It might work for now where you normally fly, BUT, it will bite you.
All you need is some "random" rf interferance between you and the AC to kill the signal which is already hobbled by folded antennas, or, if you get blown over/behind some trees etc., you will want that extra signal power with unfolded antennas. Keep the flat face of them pointed toward the AC. There is a reason for that information to be in the Manual in more than one place.

Quick question...I have not used Litchi for about a year. I did not like the function of flying a mission and loosing connection and the Mavic would not return home. Is that still the case? I know it would return home as long as you were not in a way point mission. But I stopped using it due to that limitation. I did not see the benefit of long missions which connection could be lost and maybe the drone too.

I'm also an amateur radio operator and just can't understand why one would not unfold the antennas and use them as designed. If you think about radio waves, you are distorting them by keeping the antennas in that position, one on top of the other. I'm surprised you didn't have issues. The directions even say to unfold the antennas. What was saved, a second to unfold them? Sorry to repeat, but it makes no sense to not unfold the antennas.

I'm also an amateur radio operator and just can't understand why one would not unfold the antennas and use them as designed. If you think about radio waves, you are distorting them by keeping the antennas in that position, one on top of the other. I'm surprised you didn't have issues. The directions even say to unfold the antennas. What was saved, a second to unfold them? Sorry to repeat, but it makes no sense to not unfold the antennas.
I know but because the mavic pro is built-in occusyn technology which make the aircraft have long range without losing any signal and not unfolding the controller antennas. The mavic pro is the only aircraft that I ever own that does not depend on the crappy WiFi signal like the majority of the drone world.

Um, the Mavic Pro doesn't have antennae to unfold.
The Mavic Air does.. And you really need to unfold them..
That said the Mavic Pro is AMAZING.
Total control at 2+ miles out, excellent battery life. Still my go to for general flying.

Reactions: macoman
Um, the Mavic Pro doesn't have antennae to unfold.
The Mavic Air does.. And you really need to unfold them..
That said the Mavic Pro is AMAZING.
Total control at 2+ miles out, excellent battery life. Still my go to for general flying.
You guys are not reading. He specifically said his "controller antennas", not the antenna on the drone. By keeping them folded, the signal, those little electromagnetic sign waves that are supposed to reach the drone antenna, can even conflict and create harmonics with each other by the antennas touching. By not even being in the vertical position they are not going to project their signal as far. They are DESIGNED EQUIPMENT meant to function in a certain way. (I'm biting my tongue.) Not unfolding the antennas is like basically asking for trouble. In higher powered equipment something like this would even blow the electronics as part of the signal comes back unable to be thrust forward toward its target. The drone is the target of those two antennas properly positioned to move the signal OUT away from the transmitter toward the receiving antenna which is on the drone.

Quick question...I have not used Litchi for about a year. I did not like the function of flying a mission and loosing connection and the Mavic would not return home. Is that still the case? I know it would return home as long as you were not in a way point mission. But I stopped using it due to that limitation. I did not see the benefit of long missions which connection could be lost and maybe the drone too.

You must have misread the Litchi documentation. If you lose connection during a Litchi waypoint mission, YOUR DRONE WILL COMPLETE THE MISSION AND RETURN HOME. You can test this easily, as I did. Create a simple mission. Then after starting the mission, turn your controller OFF. Then watch while the mission is completed as designed, and your drone returns home. For this reason, I use Litchi whenever there is even a chance of losing connectivity.

I’ve flown mavic hundreds of hours.

I leave the antennas folded about 90% of the time. I am also a ham
Radio operator and understand at least a little theory about how radio waves work, but the reality is that if you are flying within vlos, which includes being able to determine the attitude of mavic with your own two eyes, there is little chance that the rc will not display full signal strength even with the antenna folded.

There is a greater chance that some interference could cause a disconnect, but i have had zero issues with antennas folded while flying within vlos.

I’ve flown mavic hundreds of hours.

I leave the antennas folded about 90% of the time. I am also a ham
Radio operator and understand at least a little theory about how radio waves work, but the reality is that if you are flying within vlos, which includes being able to determine the attitude of mavic with your own two eyes, there is little chance that the rc will not display full signal strength even with the antenna folded.

There is a greater chance that some interference could cause a disconnect, but i have had zero issues with antennas folded while flying within vlos.

Are you guys mad? Why limit any connection between your controller and the bird in flight. It simply doesn't make sense!

Why would anybody in their right mind not take five seconds to unfold 2 little antennas for the best reception. Just don’t get it. And then when they lose their drone it will be DJI fault.

I just have my mavic pro for around three months and still amazed about this little beast. I never unfold the controller antennas and this provide me over a mile without losing any signal. The mavic is one of the best distance drone anyone could have. It never stop of surprising me. I also today discovered the autonomous flying modes that you can automatically program and have so many that I will try next time. As you guys see, in this three months, I have been flying around four to five times due to weather conditions. Hopefully I will be able to fly more this summer, it has been raining every **** weekend in the past month and half.
Hey Macoman, I understand what your saying "it a great machine" and I love it as well. There is no other Drone like it IMO. Everyone just reads one little comment and blows it way out of proportion. It's your drone and you can fly with the antenna folded as much as you want even if it's not recommended! "Something Might Happen?" Thats what RTH (failsafe) is for! Learn to trust your technology and you will gain a greater understanding of what the equipment is capable of.

I know but because the mavic pro is built-in occusyn technology which make the aircraft have long range without losing any signal and not unfolding the controller antennas. The mavic pro is the only aircraft that I ever own that does not depend on the crappy WiFi signal like the majority of the drone world.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Occusyc only for the video transmission?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxRichu