DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I am amazed by this...

VenomXts

Premium Pilot
Reactions

Maybe not for the right reasons since we could never do this in the US but (Mod Removed Language)that free fall control.

Few questions on the true height personally.. but watch the whole video....

Last edited by a moderator:
Up there in contrails territory :confused:
Probably was 4500m, commercial airliners are flying around 9000m to 13000m, and before killing motors the pilo. . . cowboy was probably half way to 9000m I'd guess.

I'd almost expect that from the DJI FPV drone design, the props act like anchors to keep it upright, most weight down low with the battery.
Even the Mavic pro stays fairly upright with a CSC, YouTube demos restarting from freefall, not quite as elegant as the FPV though.

Yeah ... I'm amazed also, not by the stunt by itself, instead by how this can get 1317 thumbs up on YT.

-I recon that nearly all have already seen the views from 4500m from the window seat in an airplane... so nothing special.
-It required no skills at all ... just point the RC antennas straight up & keep the throttle nailed at max, then flip a switch to disarm.
-It casts bad-will over the whole UAV community, further strengthen the general public's resistance against UAV's.
-Breaking several UAV regulations, risking damage on property & injuring people, I'm not believing for a second that this was sanctioned by any authorities what so ever.

This was made by an unskilled FPV pilot that doesn't have what it takes to skim the ground in high speed, close, through & around objects.

how this can get 1317 thumbs up on YT

Description says . . .
-----
Boosting DJI FPV to reach 4500 meters. WARNING we've made all precautions, arranged this flight with authorities. For those concerned about aircraft contrails: we were expecting this plane to pass before our scheduled launch window, so don't worry about that - enjoy the magnificent view.
-----

Very surprising how many positive comments, and the occasional one more or less mentioning the drone rule aspects.

Description says . . .
-----
Boosting DJI FPV to reach 4500 meters. WARNING we've made all precautions, arranged this flight with authorities. For those concerned about aircraft contrails: we were expecting this plane to pass before our scheduled launch window, so don't worry about that - enjoy the magnificent view.
-----

Very surprising how many positive comments, and the occasional one more or less mentioning the drone rule aspects.
Don't believe for second on that disclaimer ... looking into what the YT user have published since that flight & before strongly points to that this is a younger hothead totally free of consequence thinking & FPV acro skills ... so for a guy like that getting a authority clearance for a flight like this ... highly unlikely.

Up there in contrails territory :confused:
Probably was 4500m, commercial airliners are flying around 9000m to 13000m, and before killing motors the pilo. . . cowboy was probably half way to 9000m I'd guess.

I'd almost expect that from the DJI FPV drone design, the props act like anchors to keep it upright, most weight down low with the battery.
Even the Mavic pro stays fairly upright with a CSC, YouTube demos restarting from freefall, not quite as elegant as the FPV though.
I would label this kind of flyer a "COWBOY." Not a responsible one either.

Garn, you're all a mob of spoil sports... we need a few cowboys to keep us all human - far too much regulation stifles imagination. A bit of daring is not such a bad thing! After all, flying a drone is an expression of freedom, viewed by some as "unconventional" or "politically incorrect" - Now for the reaction!!

Garn, you're all a mob of spoil sports... we need a few cowboys to keep us all human - far too much regulation stifles imagination. A bit of daring is not such a bad thing! After all, flying a drone is an expression of freedom, viewed by some as "unconventional" or "politically incorrect" - Now for the reaction!!
He's still a cowboy

Free thinking is one thing, but being an inspiration for a bunch of other Mavericks that want to bypass altitude geofences so they can fly at AGL altitudes used by manned aircraft is purely idiotic to endorse. Once again we have fuel for the anti drone pundits.

You must admit he got some awesome pictures though!

Hardly. Not stable enough to be good, and nothing I haven't seen from an airplane about 100 times (I used to travel a lot on business). (Mod Removed Language)roughly 6 million people fly somewhere every day, and assuming that about two thirds of those flights are at least partially during daylight hours, that means about 4 million people see pretty much the same thing every day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hardly. Not stable enough to be good, and nothing I haven't seen from an airplane about 100 times (I used to travel a lot on business). Hell, roughly 6 million people fly somewhere every day, and assuming that about two thirds of those flights are at least partially during daylight hours, that means about 4 million people see pretty much the same thing every day.
I really hate that attitude. Just because you and 6 million others have seen something doesn’t mean EVERYONE has. Sounds like one of the kids on Reddit whining about seeing the same post 5 times. Not saying they were legal or safe…..that is another story.

( Mod Removed Inappropriate Remark)."he's breaking the rules, he's gonna make us all look bad, he's a danger to the public, he is disrespecting everything us angelic pilots who abide by every single rule, he's going to ruin it for all of us.. etc etc. Get a life. Jeese, yup he broke the law. BUT, now I/ we don't have to. Now that I saw him do it, as have so many others, perhaps they won't do it, because it's been done. Maybe it's out of their system. They can move on to restricted and safe flying again. Yey for the cowboy, I say. I loved the video. By the way, the odds of this drone causing deaths by hitting a plane are more than likely over a trillion to one. If the drone even hit an airliner, it would probably ding it and cause an emergency landing to be initiated as a precautionary measure, but this scenario even happening is virtually impossible. It's not like we have a million drones doing this while a million planes are flying by. The odds of an impact are easily less than the odds of an impact with a large bird, such as geese. Now, these (geese) pack a huge amount of impact energy. Imagine a 12-18 pound bird entering a jet liner engine. The engine wouldn't stand a chance. With the FPV DJI, the engine would need some expensive repairs, but it's very doubtful it would fail.

BY the way, there are way more geese flying in large formations, at a high frequency and at even higher altitudes, and they do not just fly up for a few minutes and land, they stay up in the airspace for hours on end. How many planes do we see per year crashing by these geese.

THERE ARE 40 BIRDS STRIKES PER DAY ! ONLY 109 PEOPLE DIED WORLDWIDE IN THE LAST 20 YEARS BECAUSE OF IT. This whole drone thing, causing a plane to crash, is being blown way way way out of proportion.

Is there any jurisdiction where this would be legal?

I'm a part 61 pilot in addition to having been a business traveler for far too long, so there was nothing new about the view for me per se. I could have done without the incessant rotation. But if you immerse in the FPV, I can see why it would be fun to do.

cgmaxed is right about the collision risk, microscopic. There's an easy test to see if someone knows what they're talking about with respect to collision hazards. Ask them what the odds are. If they don't know, then they don't know what they're talking about!

:)

TCS

How did he hack his DJI FPV? Is it Drone Hacks? I didn't know there was an altitude hack for the DJI FPV already floating about on the internet
I was curious about that too, checked the usual NLD, but yeah nothing listed there for the FPV.
According to one comment on YT, third mode acro / atti mode there is no limits at all, but I find it hard to believe DJI let that slip through.
Anyone with an FPV know ?

cgmaxed is right about the collision risk, microscopic. There's an easy test to see if someone knows what they're talking about with respect to collision hazards. Ask them what the odds are. If they don't know, then they don't know what they're talking about!

Hey sure, we all would know you have more chance of winning lotto than hitting an aircraft at that height, probably far less than down at say 400’ to a couple of thousand feet.
But how much have you increased your odds of such a thing happening just by going over the 400’ ?
Probably at least doubled or tripled the chance.
Someone wins lotto every week you know.

I really hate that attitude. Just because you and 6 million others have seen something doesn’t mean EVERYONE has. Sounds like one of the kids on Reddit whining about seeing the same post 5 times. Not saying they were legal or safe…..that is another story.

Not at all. He said they were "awesome pictures". They aren't.

Reactions: HighlandsVideo
I've never been in plane in my life, I'm not condoning what this guy has done, got some bottle to even try that & as for switching the motors off - no way, anyway I enjoyed watching it, the way the hobby is going anyway, we will be lucky to be able to fly one at all within 2-3 years, this video will make no difference to speeding thing up either.

Reactions: mereflyer
I was curious about that too, checked the usual NLD, but yeah nothing listed there for the FPV.
According to one comment on YT, third mode acro / atti mode there is no limits at all, but I find it hard to believe DJI let that slip through.
Anyone with an FPV know ?

Hey sure, we all would know you have more chance of winning lotto than hitting an aircraft at that height, probably far less than down at say 400’ to a couple of thousand feet.
But how much have you increased your odds of such a thing happening just by going over the 400’ ?
Probably at least doubled or tripled the chance.
Someone wins lotto every week you know.
I'm not sure that's true, but in any event, the *magnitude* of the risk matters, not just any percentage increase.

Three times nuthin' is still nuthin'...

Not strictly zero of course, But if the magnitude of the risk is lower than things people do everyday...like drive to the store...then it's EFFECTIVELY zero.

TCS

Reactions: mereflyer
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000