DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I am an idiot (First Crash)

I had a major brain malfunction earlier this afternoon. I was flying in a small yard trying to get some quality shots of a house. It was very tight due to the amount of large trees all around. Everything was going great until the very end. Right when I finished the low battery warning came on. No problem because I was finished.

Here is where I plead temporary insanity. I have no idea why I did what I did, but as the drone was hovering about 10 feet over head and 4 feet in front of me. For some reason instead of landing I exited the app on my phone, pulled the cable, and turned off the remote!!!!!!!!!!!

As soon as I did it I realized what I did. The drone started going up (in order to RTH), and when it got about halfway up the pine tree it hit a limb. The drone rocked sideways a little and went down some, but then it continued upward. Then it hit another limb and this time it started cartwheeling away from the tree and towards the ground. I thought ok this is it. I am done. A second or so later the drone righted itself an continued upward.

Now what I was doing this entire time? Nothing. I am just standing there frozen watching it happen. Suddenly as if I had been slapped I regained my composure enough to realize the only way to regain control of the situation was to get back in the app, reconnect the cable, and start the remote back up.

Once I did that I was able to cancel RTH and land safely. The drone appears to have made it unscathed. There was a green stain on one of the propellers, but no damage that I saw. I came home and flew it in my yard and everything appeared to work just fine. I then went to another 106 acre property and flew it for a friend. No problems to report. I am thankful I survived this! I can assure all of you that this will never happen again.

Now my question to all of you. Have any of you done anything as stupid with your drone?
[/QUOTEflown it whilst intoxicated count ..?

I can honestly say I haven't done that, but I have done many much stupider things that I will never confess (and that doesn't include things that don't require a drone). Nice to know there are more options than the ones I've discovered. Great story, thanks for sharing!

On a Coast Guard helo I was the radioman. It was my job to report to the tower that we were on "final landing" (when prompted by the pilot), also to report when we were "on deck" (terminating flight). Out of routine I got ahead of myself and reported that we were "on deck" when we were still 10' above ground. The pilot let me know, in "uncertain terms" that I limited his options of
Aborting, Go Around, on and on...…..We all can make the mistake of getting ahead of our selves
and pay the consequences.

Reactions: mrgolf30
Lol, I've had close calls while flying from a drifting boat but you win the "blonde" moment for sure.

Good share, I respect folks who admit their faults, shows good character!

Reactions: mrgolf30
I only put in one of my contact lenses one morning because my other eye was kinda hurting/itching.
It must've thrown off my depth perception because I flew my bird straight into the leaves and limbs of a big ole oak tree. I thought I was above it by 10' or so. No damage done other than green stains. Next time I have eye issues I'll be sporting my old 80's glasses.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580