DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I am on the Fence

I received my Mavic Pro yesterday and still haven’t opened the package. I read post about people have difficulty updating firmware or the DJIgo4 app crashing on the IPhone during flight....

I keep thinking $1400 is a lot to spend and deal with problems like this..... It may be just me, but I am trying to decide if I really want this thing or not....

JWW
I was on the fence for a long time until it became possible to hack this thing. I waited until most of the early problems had been discovered and patched, although DJI is adding new bugs with each update. If you get a good one, it is a nice piece of kit. I have had issues with the app crashing. I was able to downgrade and it works fine now.
OnTheFence.jpg

Reactions: Xtreme Drone Pilot
I have had my Mavic for 9 months now and love it. Crashed twice, gone through a few of the firmware updates that seemed to screw up the camera focus, but everything is now working beautifully.
I have always loved the look of aerial photography and now I can take my own. When I show people what the Mavic is capable of they are always amazed.

I update firmware whenever available and fly with the non-supported Samsung S7. No problems except for a couple pilot errors in 10 months of pretty heavy (3-4x a week) use. Lots of fun.

Bought my MP for my birthday in September. 116 flights, 48 hours. No problems and love it. This is a great site for information good and bad.

Every drone has its flaws the mavic is a well engineered drone, I can guarantee any other drone you buy will have similar glitches.

I wish I could make $1400 impulse purchases just like that and sit on the fence with an expensive box in hands. I always sit on the fence BEFORE making that $$$ click.*

* with the exception of $49 Wunderphone, which I ordered sight unseen, instantly, since I thought the deal will be gone any second

Last edited:
Dont let other peoples lack of knowledge/commitment make you second guess the Mavic. The people who buy it, rip it open, and fly it all in 1 day (without any prior dji experience) are typically the people who crash and experience all these "problems"... I spent 2-3 months reading everything I could and watching countless videos about the mavic before I even attempted to fly. I had prior drone experience but not comparable to the mavic. Read/watch how it works, operates, settings, problems that could happen before, during, or after flight, etc.. I have had absolutely 0 problems with my mavic (knock on wood). Take your time, read everything you can, watch everything you can and you will be fine. Also get yourself a StateFarm Personal Articles policy. $60 a year, $0 deductible, and statefarm will replace the drone (send you a check) should you crash or lose it.

I think your just a bit nervous we’ve all been there just open the box and get it up. You will love it [emoji106]

I am literate with the computer. No issues there. Just don’t care for the tech difficulties if the apps are poorly coded, etc.

As far as how often I will use it. I am a avid photography enthusiast and plan to used it to enhance my interest in photography.
Open it up and enjoy it. Forums like this will help you with any issues you may have.

No worries, they fixed the last problem. The new firmware fixed both my issues. The lesson I learned was to wait a couple weeks for DJI to get the bugs out. Also you are not forced to update. What phone or tablet do you plan to use?

I had problems with the updates also, then I figured out that it was just my understanding how to update the firmware that was the problem, I had contemplated buying this Mavic for a few months, but I really wanted to get it as a winter hobby so I pulled the trigger and got everything including the goggles, its a great hobby and I don't regret spending $1700 plus on it. I've only flown it 2 times and only in beginner mode, It's a great pass time, learning something new is the best part.

I like my Mavic but I still enjoy and appreciate the simplicity of my Phantom 3 Standard. It takes great photos but doesn't go as far. Still half a mile or so is OK for a great flying camera. If you don't want to spend so much you can get the Phantom 3 Standard for about $400 and have a great flying machine complete with Return to Home and lovely photos/video.

I received my Mavic Pro yesterday and still haven’t opened the package. I read post about people have difficulty updating firmware or the DJIgo4 app crashing on the IPhone during flight....

I keep thinking $1400 is a lot to spend and deal with problems like this..... It may be just me, but I am trying to decide if I really want this thing or not....

JWW
Sold mine after only having for 6 months. Spent more time updating than flying. Couldn't be bothered with all the messing about in the end. I thought was gonna be able fly straight from the box and then be hassle free!!!

JWW
So... I am curious, which side of the fence did you jump too.

I still like P3S,too but love the MP especially with their features and Litchi

A bit of a pain for me to get going, but that was my fault-impatience. It's a blast to fly, no problems at all. The best part is you can take it anywhere you go, and if that once-in-a-lifetime scene presents itself, you've got it.

Approaching Christmas a year ago, my wife started bugging me for a wish list (I'm slow about that sometimes). When I couldn't come up with anything, she asked, "You want a drone?"
I didn't know anything about them. I didn't want a kid's toy that I could only fly around the back yard with, and I assumed that any serious adult machine would cost tens of thousands.
This year when she asked, I started searching the internet for drone info and immediately came across the Mavic Pro. I'll be opening a Platinum Fly More Combo on Christmas morning. It is mind-boggling what you can get for around a thousand bucks. Can't wait to get my hands on it. We have 56 acres out here in the country and it's going to be a blast.
Oh, last year I got a meat smoker.

Reactions: Xtreme Drone Pilot
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juanfraf