DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I am on the Fence

jwwphoto

Reactions
I received my Mavic Pro yesterday and still haven’t opened the package. I read post about people have difficulty updating firmware or the DJIgo4 app crashing on the IPhone during flight....

I keep thinking $1400 is a lot to spend and deal with problems like this..... It may be just me, but I am trying to decide if I really want this thing or not....

JWW

Reactions: Moose74
I received my Mavic Pro yesterday and still haven’t opened the package. I read post about people have difficulty updating firmware or the DJIgo4 app crashing on the IPhone during flight....

I keep thinking $1400 is a lot to spend and deal with problems like this..... It may be just me, but I am trying to decide if I really want this thing or not....

JWW
The other thing to consider is how often are you going to be using it? Every day, once a week, once a month? Somethings to consider.

Reactions: Hexagon
I have used my MP with both updates iOS and DJI. Yesterday, flew approximately 60 minutes with no problems between 100-150 ft.

I had one in January.. Sold it in. August as I wasn't using it that much.. Bought another one in November.. It's the most amazing gadget EVER and such a pleasure to fly.

The other thing to consider is how often are you going to be using it? Every day, once a week, once a month? Somethings to consider.
very true. I sold my phantom 3 because of this, was a bit bored and did not fly that much. When I saw the Mav I knew I had to buy one asap. Totally different league, totally different game to be honest. Never had serious problems with software or hardware.

@jwwphoto IMHO the amazing thing about quads is the learning curve. If it is your first quad you will be amazed by this whole new world. If not you will also be amazed by the mavic, portability, range and stability is top class

It is a lot of money but the Mavic is just so cool, as for firmware updates and app updates, I don't update,
I'm still at Fw .700 and DJI Go is at 4.0.8 and it works perfect.

Reactions: superdave5050
Also, keep in mind that people who have no problems with the MP are statistically much less likely to post here than people who had issues.

So the picture you get from scanning posts on this forum might very well be misleading.

I for my part am very happy with my MP (90 flights, close to 18h total flight time).

Yeah, other than a few tablet crashes my Mavic has not given me any issues.

One more thing to consider:

Anyone who tends to be computer illiterate should better stay away from the MP.

Enjoyable as it is, it is also a rather complicated piece of leading edge electronics...

Reactions: Vilco
I am literate with the computer. No issues there. Just don’t care for the tech difficulties if the apps are poorly coded, etc.

As far as how often I will use it. I am a avid photography enthusiast and plan to used it to enhance my interest in photography.

Reactions: Roamer105

JWW

Month long user. Done all updates and flies like a dream. I just make sure I do all my checks in the house and before flight, being mjndful of surroundings and stick to the drone code.

Loving it mate, you won’t regret getting one

You will be at the right place then- aerial photography will open up a world of difference if you haven't been there. However, the fixed lens might be a little frustrating but there are quite a few options

Not a power user or tech genius, use iOS and done all updates and have had no issues. I love the portability and photo and video quality. Welcome!

Reactions: StanTGM
I've had mine for 6 months now. It's a beautiful machine and a pleasure to fly. Yes, the android app is super crappy, but I've heard that the iOS app is much better.

I've upgraded to every update that Apple and DJI have pushed and have never had app crashes or lockups. Using an iPhone 7+. I have experienced issues with DJI's no-fly policies, as in the Mavic wouldn't arm due to perceived flight restrictions, even though my other apps, and sectionals, show no restrictions. Not often, though.

Last edited:
Upgrading FW and or App is optional.
If your device/s is/are performing as it should,then stay there.
Now, if you want to be a BETA tester then join the club, update to every FW/App releases.

Reactions: Clinton1
I agree with StanTGM, quite a lot of issues are people who probably also have issues with other tech things like computers and gadgets. If anything goes wrong these people rely on others close by to help them . Now all of a sudden these people are buying DJI drones and there are not many people in their circle of friends to help them with issues and updates for drones so they come to forums and frighten everyone into thinking every update is a disaster. I have flown all types a of DJI drones for the last 11 months and have never had any of the major issues that are reported on these and DJI forums. Guess I am lucky.... or just very technically minded.

I am literate with the computer. No issues there. Just don’t care for the tech difficulties if the apps are poorly coded, etc.

As far as how often I will use it. I am a avid photography enthusiast and plan to used it to enhance my interest in photography.

This is why I got mine as well. It arrived two days ago and I still haven't spun up the props. This is NOT an out-of-the-box experience. There's an awful lot of information to digest and then you fire up Go 4 and look at the screen and ask what have I gotten myself into. (That was my yesterday.) I'm using a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 and getting that to connect to everything so I could activate the drone took a lot of time. But by last evening I was all set and messing around in the simulator. So, now that I have a "stable" platform I can move onto the next step which is to see what all the stuff in the manuals actually means. And find out where my next problem will be.

Imagine you bought a $1,000 wood working tool. Take it out of the box, plug it in, and hit the switch and fingers would be flying everywhere. You wouldn't (hopefully) just do that but spend time with the manual and proceed with baby-steps.The Mavic has a learning curve like that but what you'll end up with (I hope) is a very useful photography tool. Sort of like shooting a nice camera up to 400 feet in burst mode but with better options for framing and recovery.

I would not worry about SW/FW problems. Odds are you will be in the silent majority and have no problems. If you do there is help available and a fix for your problem has probably already been posted. If not, post it here and a lot of nice people will be glad to help. If an app crashes during flight (rare) you can still control with the RC. The Mavic really is a great piece of hardware that will give you access to a previously unreachable perspective of the world around you. Since you are into photography, get yourself a set of ND filters and capture it.

Reactions: OzoneVibe
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet