DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I believe DJI sold me a refurbed Mavic as "new"

So .... any new news on this situation?
I'm chasing my case up with PayPal

They require documentation from an independent assessor of my claims. This will be tough to get as I don't think there are any shops around qualified to estimate a "repair cost" around here. Also it's not a repair that I require. For these reasons, I'm currently trying to get in touch with PayPal to discuss with them directly, but customer phone lines doesn't seem to be going through at the moment

I'm chasing my case up with PayPal

They require documentation from an independent assessor of my claims. This will be tough to get as I don't think there are any shops around qualified to estimate a "repair cost" around here. Also it's not a repair that I require. For these reasons, I'm currently trying to get in touch with PayPal to discuss with them directly, but customer phone lines doesn't seem to be going through at the moment

Address a registered letter to DJI's legal counsel in California CC (registered) to whatever California has as consumer protection. Lay out the facts and the evidence in a clear, polite manner and demand an immediate refund within business days.

It may have just been an honest warehouse mistake but the response from the CS rep is appalling and disappointing. Clearly a refurb to me from the first post.

Reactions: Rnl
It may have just been an honest warehouse mistake but the response from the CS rep is appalling and disappointing. Clearly a refurb to me from the first post.

Yep - which is why, if he's not getting movement from the CS reps he should escalate to DJI Legal Counsel with a registered letter with all the details presented clearly and demand for refund within 10 business days. This sort of legal formality often gets vertical drill down in companies when they've made a mistake (happens) but don't address it properly.

There is no excuse for this and it's actually against the law to sell used as new. Since you ordered a new one and you've now confirmed that it it is indeed not new, if they give you the runaround contact your credit card company. They are usually pretty good at getting your money back.

Wish I would have read this 3 hours ago. Before I ordered one from them, it will be here tomorrow with the free training. I think if its open i will refuse it and they can take it back.

Wish I would have read this 3 hours ago. Before I ordered one from them, it will be here tomorrow with the free training. I think if its open i will refuse it and they can take it back.

I'm pretty sure you will receive a brand new in the box item as most of us have.

It's not about 1 case in a 1000. It's about DJI making that one case 1000x more painful that it needs to be.

I send a MP for repair (warranty). They send me a brand new unit and reset the Care Refresh date.

Unfortunately the new MP had exactly the same defect as the prior unit - so back it went.

But ... the 2nd time on escalated status. Left here here on Tuesday, got there yesterday and has already been unpacked for evaluation. This is blinding fast compared to the usual and same old same old. ... still waiting for the other shoe to drop.

I'm pretty sure you will receive a brand new in the box item as most of us have.

It's not about 1 case in a 1000. It's about DJI making that one case 1000x more painful that it needs to be.

I send a MP for repair (warranty). They send me a brand new unit and reset the Care Refresh date.

Unfortunately the new MP had exactly the same defect as the prior unit - so back it went.

But ... the 2nd time on escalated status. Left here here on Tuesday, got there yesterday and has already been unpacked for evaluation. This is blinding fast compared to the usual and same old same old. ... still waiting for the other shoe to drop.
Thanks
now I will sleep better tonight not worrying as much. So I take it the care refresh is a good thing than?

Care Refresh is in the eyes of the beholder. For me worth it. For you, maybe not. If you're in the US, there are all sorts of insurance offers - some better than CR. Here in Canada there isn't much that offers the same value.

But decide quickly before your MP arrives. Once you activate it (register with DJI) CR has to be registered within 48 hours. Longer than that and it's quite a knot to untie to buy CR.

The main catch with CR is that you have to be able to return the machine to DJI. So if you drop it into a deep lake ...

Update on my case, a full refund has been approved and is on it's way (even credit takes time to process).

Only downfall is I had to pay for shipping, 70AUD.

Interesting.

When I went to buy the Care Refresh plan, the DJI store informed me my drone had already been active for over 48 hours. Several emails, phone calls, and hour+ drives to visit the store revealed the timeline between the unopened Fly More shipping box leaving the distributor (Feb 24) to me buying it (Mar 6). DJI, naturally, tried saying I or the shop activated it. Eventually got through to one customer service agent who informed me my s/n had already been activated Dec 13 (!!!). After sending them all the proof I indeed just bought this that week and it was new (presumably, pristine condition and sealed box), they unlocked the serial number and I was able to buy the plan.

Now I wonder...
Hi guys so I’m a phantom 3 pilot - (not sure if this the right place to post ) one of my employees bought a mavic pro refurb from a DJI importer here in Johannesburg South Africa - the bird crashed on first flight and the dealer basically told him pilot error get knotted (methinks battery came loose)

So I have been rebuilding a phantom 3 and decided to open up his mavic and to my utter dismay find its a DJI crash refurb you can clearly see where motors have been re soldered on the board and half the screw lugs are stripped

Attachments

• 71D36DDE-CAD9-49FD-9535-3B9FB3DDBF86.jpeg
    71D36DDE-CAD9-49FD-9535-3B9FB3DDBF86.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 29
Hi guys so I’m a phantom 3 pilot - (not sure if this the right place to post ) one of my employees bought a mavic pro refurb from a DJI importer here in Johannesburg South Africa - the bird crashed on first flight and the dealer basically told him pilot error get knotted (methinks battery came loose)

So I have been rebuilding a phantom 3 and decided to open up his mavic and to my utter dismay find its a DJI crash refurb you can clearly see where motors have been re soldered on the board and half the screw lugs are stripped
What you've discovered just confirms what many DJI owners have suspected for quite a while..... its that very reason that MANY DJI owners avoid sending their Mavics, Phantoms, etc. etc back to DJI for repairs.

Unfortunately when you buy a used car, the only thing you can be sure of is that you've also bought another man's problems.

P.S. At least you knew you were buying a used car.... many DJI owners sent their "new" Mavics back for repair and got someone else's used rebuilt unit in return.

Thanks. the ****** dealer was remiss on his dismissing the guy without properly looking at it

Its not just DJI who appear to have these "Accidental shipment errors". I had the exact same with Horizon when I purchased a brand new Blade from a UK dealer.

Lond story short, I had trading standards contact their UK distribution centre, followed up with a letter from my solicitor claiming " obtaining money by deception" which can carry a prison sentance.

24hrs later brand new upgraded model arrived by same day courier with extras :) so definately worth pursuing these situations, and dont take no for an answer.

He bought a refurb and received a refurb. This is surprising? I really don't think the OP got a refurb.

• How can I identify a refurbished product?

Check the serial number. For all refurbished products, the fifth from last character will be "S"or "R".

That soldering is appalling

Here’s my takeaway...

I agree that buying from somewhere else might be better, why even bother with them directly when you can walk into best buy or another big box and get it there? That way it’s right there and probably no hassle.

Second (if this is an option) use a good credit card. If this were me, it would go on my AMEX or Discover and I won’t even blink. File a claim and just ship that **** back, CC will probably refund shipping costs too. **** DJI that’s why I love my cards.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+