DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I believe DJI sold me a refurbed Mavic as "new"

This happen to me also. I noticed january logs. Received mine in march. Just fyi. Its not isolated incident.

Reactions: ibatman
No. New is new. Where you might (will, these days) get a refurbished unit:
- a warranty repair beyond x days from purchase (x=15 per some reports - I really don't know)
- a Care Refresh bird.​

Some people have gotten brand new MP's for Care Refresh birds. But I guess that now the "repair facility" back in China has enough crashes/broken/defective stock that they can build from the boneyard all they want to refill the warranty/Care Refresh stock.

The OP of this thread is quite correct in his intention to file complaints against DJI in his own state and in California with the AG (or consumer protection agencies, etc). New is new. New is not repaired warranty parts.

I just fear that the warranty return I'll be getting will not be the pristine machine I sent. It had 120 or so flights with no crashes other than a 1 foot fall into powder snow after hitting a branch. It was a clean mean machine with a nice new skin on it.... probably lose that too.

It's standard fare for all companies to remove good parts from the returned products and put them back in the assembly line. Typically it's not a problem as the boards are run back through the testing jigs before they are added to new products.

It all depends on how much demand they have for the parts in the repair dept.

Pretty sure DJI sent me a refurbished unit also

After exchanging a few messages with customer support (we don't have the option of phone in Australia)... I deemed it was no longer feasible and went straight to PayPal

It's good to see others sharing the same experience. I'll link this thread to the authorities as supporting evidence

What did you end up doing?
Nothing. I noticed after a few flights. Flies fine, dont trust dji now though. Im not wanting to send it back and wait who knows how long. Bought directly from dji also. At least this way i still have the evidence in my hands....

Reactions: lekrantz
Well, confirmed this drone is in fact a refurb, looked at flight logs. It's logged flight times on January 9th 2017, which is before it's serial number "birth" date of 1 March.

Unbelievable.

This could be a simple test flight before sales

It's standard fare for all companies to remove good parts from the returned products and put them back in the assembly line. Typically it's not a problem as the boards are run back through the testing jigs before they are added to new products.

It all depends on how much demand they have for the parts in the repair dept.

I have little issue with them recycling good parts into the warranty/CR line. But selling used parts or birds as "new" is not only ethically reprehensible it is illegal in many jurisdictions.

This could be a simple test flight before sales

New units don't have a letter R appended (prepended?) to the S/N.

I've flown my MP 120+ times. Looks brand new (other than a minor mod I made to it). Certainly the packaging was pristine when I opened it - as was the bird.

Last edited:
Since mine is waiting for me at home having just been delivered while I'm at work, can someone tell me how I check the flight logs to make sure mine wasn't someone's else's problem before becoming mine, please?

Reactions: Blades and ibatman
Since mine is waiting for me at home having just been delivered while I'm at work, can someone tell me how I check the flight logs to make sure mine wasn't someone's else's problem before becoming mine, please?

Look at the serial number first. If there is a letter "R" added to it (or prepended), then suspect it as refurbished.

Take out the data card and mount on your computer. Check what's on there. (Should be nothing other than file structure).

Hook up the bird to your computer - run DJI Assistant and look at the logs on the bird.

I purchased my Mavic from a store in Australia and I did not take the option of care etc because I did read the small print and did not agree with DJI's option of a refurbished unit, I am thinking a few here may not have read the fine print.

Hope you all get your problems sorted soon.

New units don't have a letter R appended (prepended?) to the S/N.

I've flown my MP 120+ times. Looks brand new (other than a minor mod I made to it). Certainly the packaging was pristine when I opened it - as was the bird.

Here's the condition my box arrived in, it's what remind me to record my unboxing in first place, and made me question the bird. Then I remember that DJI's website said all Refurbs end with an R in their serial

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-04-16 at 12.58.44 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-04-16 at 12.58.44 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 98
  • Screen Shot 2017-04-16 at 12.56.47 AM.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2017-04-16 at 12.56.47 AM.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 103
Look at the serial number first. If there is a letter "R" added to it (or prepended), then suspect it as refurbished.

Take out the data card and mount on your computer. Check what's on there. (Should be nothing other than file structure).

Hook up the bird to your computer - run DJI Assistant and look at the logs on the bird.

Use caution when using the LOGS though, mine gave a false positive for previous flights because of software issue, and for what ever reason it logged my simulator flight as a real flight.

Here's some other things that caught my eye, the stickers on side appear reapplied, they weren't on straight, and they had like a slight layer of dust under them.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-04-16 at 1.24.42 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-04-16 at 1.24.42 AM.png
    67.3 KB · Views: 82
  • Screen Shot 2017-04-16 at 1.24.04 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-04-16 at 1.24.04 AM.png
    592.2 KB · Views: 82
I just realized the RC also had a hair under the plastic sticker lol

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-04-16 at 1.21.29 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-04-16 at 1.21.29 AM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 73
If you read enough on this site, and I see youre new, you will see that DJI routinely sends out refurbed birds as Refresh replacements. That makes alot of people unhappy and wary of sending their birds in for minor repairs.

On a positive note, I have bought dozens of refurbed DJI products, and I have not had a single defective one in the bunch. The scratches and smudges you see on the bird and controller are going to happen anyway on your first few flights out. Bug smear, grass stains, pebbles, etc will soon turn your pristine machine into a battle hardened bird but thats normal wear and tear and wont make it fly any worse.

I understand that you are upset about getting what appears to be a refurbed bird, and if youre that upset then return it. But keep in mind that the Mavic is an aircraft, and they get dirty, broken, scratched etc unless you dont fly it.

Weelll, not mine. Pristine 95% after 80 flights

That wasnt my point. My point is that DJI doesnt care whether they sell a refurbished Mavic as new or when you send in your Mavic for Refresh they dont care if they send you a refurbed bird back even if your new one had only 1 flight in it.

History backs up your statement.

Had my Mavic for 20 days . had a gimb. vibration error . i sent it back due to what DJI said was a manufact. defect. three weeks later I get a refurb drone back. I just paid 1,300.00 for a new drone. I called explained 6 times to six Idiots my situation got the same scripted answer. They say after 15 DAYS "unconditionally" the have the right to send you a new or refurb drone??? whats' that??? so two weeks in on a brand new drone that has a manufact. defect I get a refurb?? Absolutely Not!! I disputed the charge let them fight with my cc company. They can have the whole package back. Not sure which country the call center is in defiantly not California, USA. Lack of common sense and compassion is astounding. I should get a credit as well for my decal kit I wasted ion a faulty product.

Sorry. It was shown here two months ago that the sales contract for Refresh allows them to do that. Read it.

Here's the condition my box arrived in, it's what remind me to record my unboxing in first place, and made me question the bird. Then I remember that DJI's website said all Refurbs end with an R in their serial

I would immediately contact DJI by e-mail with:
A copy of the order confirmation of the _new_ drone and/or receipt(s)
Photos of what you received including the "R" SERNO.
A demand for the mailing address of their General Counsel
A reminder that it is illegal to sell used/repaired items as "new" in your state and in California
A demand for immediate reimbursement - no waiting for you to return the item.
Be angry and loud - when DJI are caught with their pants down they seem to react

If you Facebook, take it there, post the whole ugly thing and copy the link to DJI and everyone you know
etc. for whatever other social media you use.

Reactions: Derlisz and ibatman
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UR7CR