DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I cannot handle all these camera issues!!

etx

Reactions
When I don't have jello I get this micro vibration in the video! This is all at 4k 24fps. I don't want to send it back as I purchased it for a trip the day after Xmas.

Micro vibrations:

Jello:

I'm on the latest firmware. I've tried calibrating the IMU, gimbal and resetting camera settings. I've also got brand new props and the MP has never crashed or landed hard.

The gimbal isn't touching the frame, all the rubber supports are in properly so it's not a physical issue.

Also today when I had some jello it popped the camera into Portrait mode and the jello still went the same direction across the camera sensor. That tells me the jello is a sensor problem, not a gimbal problem!

Anyone have any thoughts as to what else I can try?

From other posts here, and from your cold scene in the second video, I think the answer (or one answer) is temperature acclimation / cold-soak.

If it is cold outside, let the Mavic cool down for 30min before you fly. If it is warm outside, let the Mavic warm up to match the ambient temperature. When the Mavic gimbal is not at ambient temperature, it has an effect on its ability to lock on and compensate for vibrations.

Now, you're gonna remind me "but portrait mode showed it was a sensor issue not a gimbal issue." No matter what, jello will be aligned with the sensor. Jello is induced by a motion of the sensor between the individual scan lines of the sensor. It really doesn't matter what direction/axis the vibration is taking place, the jello will still be aligned with the sensor.

Your reason sounds plausible @halley but isn't this the same sensor DJI has used in the P3 & P4?
I have not seen anyone else have jello like that! :eek: I have flown in sub zero temps with no weather acclamation.

isn't this the same sensor DJI has used in the P3 & P4

Jello is a symptom detected by the sensor, but it is not created in the sensor. Jello is always a matter of vibration or unintended motion of the sensor while the sensor is collecting the image. So it's up to the gimbal and airframe and motors and props, not the sensor.

This is a classic explainer image for scan-oriented sensors and why they capture fast-moving things strangely. In this case, the fast motion is the airplane propeller. In the case of jello, imagine what the sensor would be collecting if the sensor itself was moving rapidly.

1447700421-propeller.gif

Reactions: kiteboy
Jello is a symptom detected by the sensor, but it is not created in the sensor. Jello is always a matter of vibration or unintended motion of the sensor while the sensor is collecting the image. So it's up to the gimbal and airframe and motors and props, not the sensor.

This is a classic explainer image for scan-oriented sensors and why they capture fast-moving things strangely. In this case, the fast motion is the airplane propeller. In the case of jello, imagine what the sensor would be collecting if the sensor itself was moving rapidly.

1447700421-propeller.gif

Correct, it is what is commonly known as the 'rolling shutter' as the moving black horizontal line represents what the sensor is capturing.

Has anyone else reported this issue that you know of @etx ?

If you can get one and don't mind using one get drop an ND filter onto the lens. Should eliminate the jello. DJI are looking into the issue and may be able to correct it with a f/w update.

OK, I was under the under the impression that by reducing the shutter speed would eliminate it providing it was reduced by the the 'correct' amount. Several people on RC groups have said that they get zero jello with an ND filter yet do get it without one. Did not realize that a decent filter would effect image quality either? Not by a perceivable amount anyway.

A good filter should improve the image quality, not diminish it and would help with jello.
Here is product info from a maker of Mavic filters...

Screen Shot 2016-12-17 at 9.33.40 PM✨.png

Reactions: Lt Shanks
A good filter should improve the image quality, not diminish it and would help with jello.

I didn't want to duplicate comments so much, so I will just post a link to the other post instead. Filters can help influence the camera's automatic choices, and that can help the situations where the camera's automatic choices are not suitable. However, optical filters cannot "fix" vibrations, regardless of the filter maker's claims. I have no beef with ND filters, and they're awesome, but it's a band-aid not a cure.

Would changing the exposure value reduce jello?

Reactions: Kilrah and etx
Hey guys, thanks for the detailed responses.

@LuvMyTJ You're right and I didn't think about that. The sensor (if it's like other digital sensors I have) collects the image in the same direction so any vibration would show the jello in that linear pattern regardless.

My first video is almost done uploading, sorry about the delay. Should be up shortly and it shows a different issue.

I guess I'm just trying to figure out if this is normal and I have to deal with it, or if I have a defective Mavic and need to return / exchange it.

Edit: Also, it's strange that putting the camera bubble on seems to eliminate the jello problem. That made me think it's a temperature issue. It's been about 10 degrees F here in Detroit lately.

Also, in the Jello video at 1 minute in I land the Mavic, and attach the camera bubble while I'm still rolling. You can see I still get jello while the Mavic is sitting on the ground and the props are not even moving.

Last edited:
Nope, and it's not the sensor that's the problem anyway, but gimbal vibration.

Going back to the previous firmware may help, DJI have acknowledged more pronounced gimbal vibration issues on the latest.

I'll try downgrading and see if that helps. Thanks!

Go to Camera Tab on right side and go to Options, scroll down and click Reset Camera, try the same exact setup without changing the defaults.. Lets see if its a Software issue..

Ive had issues with Gimbal Shake, Camera Focus not working at all. This fixed both.

Reactions: etx
Go to Camera Tab on right side and go to Options, scroll down and click Reset Camera, try the same exact setup without changing the defaults.. Lets see if its a Software issue..

Ive had issues with Gimbal Shake, Camera Focus not working at all. This fixed both.

I did try this last weekend. Did a IMU calibration, gimbal calibration, and the reset camera settings. Then I changed the video res to 4k / 24 and the still format to RAW. Still wonky without the camera bubble on.

I wonder if it's just the cold temperatures that change the dampening effects of the rubber gimbal supports. Easy way to tell is try some video indoors where the temps are warmer and see if you get the same issue.

I did try this last weekend. Did a IMU calibration, gimbal calibration, and the reset camera settings. Then I changed the video res to 4k / 24 and the still format to RAW. Still wonky without the camera bubble on.

I live in Ithaca ny. my first few cold weather flights picked up vibration in the camera. I just got back to California to visit family for the holidays and haven't had any issues with the camera other than forgetting to set it to 4k. I think the temperature plays a big roll on how this little gimbal works. it is a very light weight mechanism and can be easily effected by its environment. it may just be the nature of the beast. in my time of tuning gopro style gimbals it was sometimes helpful to tune the rubber mounts to temperature or in some cases add some sort of mass to the gimbal or anything thing with an imu to reduce outside forces from moving it. when in doubt a nd filter also helped. maybe in the future we will see some weight added to the top of the gimbal and some different rubber options. in any case I friggin love this thing! oh and we have to stop comparing this thing to the p4. thought it may be the same sensor, the p4 is a heavier bird with a heavier gimbal

When I don't have jello I get this micro vibration in the video! This is all at 4k 24fps. I don't want to send it back as I purchased it for a trip the day after Xmas.

Micro vibrations:

Jello:

I'm on the latest firmware. I've tried calibrating the IMU, gimbal and resetting camera settings. I've also got brand new props and the MP has never crashed or landed hard.

The gimbal isn't touching the frame, all the rubber supports are in properly so it's not a physical issue.

Also today when I had some jello it popped the camera into Portrait mode and the jello still went the same direction across the camera sensor. That tells me the jello is a sensor problem, not a gimbal problem!

Anyone have any thoughts as to what else I can try?
Did you ever come to a conclusion in regards to the camera wandering back and forth in your first video "micro vibrations"?

I never let my mavic get acclimated to the climate, never had any issues. I've flown in low teens.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PetefromNZ