DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I CRASHED DRONE IN OCEAN

Hey guys, the propella stopped and the drone fell into the ocean. Only for about 5 seconds until a surfer pulled it out. What do I do.

Has anyone used 90% Isopropyl Alcohol ? I have flushed out cordless phones and cell phones that have fallen in the lake and they are working 30 minutes later after being exposed to some warm moving air to dry out the Alcohol.

The alcohol takes out all the water and probably flushes out the salt too. Some displays can be a problem if they have layers of plastic that trap liquids.

Some plastics and cheap paints get soft with Isopropyl so its not always a no-risk solution depending on materials in the product.

I'd be interested to know if they will replace based on the motor failure.

I suspect the motor current error was due to seawater spray/mist getting into the motor(s). If a surfer was able to quickly snatch it from the water then it seems logical that the OP was shooting video or photos along the surf line. In the right conditions, the mist can rise above the water for dozens of feet. Flying in such a mist is like flying in a light drizzle. Eventually, water will collect in the motors and elsewhere.

Mark

Reactions: DTC709 and Big Jim
Hey guys, the propella stopped and the drone fell into the ocean. Only for about 5 seconds until a surfer pulled it out. What do I do.

Saltwater? It's done.
Buy a new one.
Saltwater' really bad in electronics.
If it truly was only "5 seconds", you might have a chance but salt is corrosive.
Get an airtight storage container. Sterilize makes them with a rubber gasket. Can find them at a Target or Walmart if you're in the states.
Buy a container of a product called Damp Rid. Can find at pretty much any hardware store.
Open up the drone completely.
Put the drone in the storage container along with the Damp Tid & close it up.
Leave it for a week.
The Damp Rid is stronger than rice & will suck all the moisture inside that box (& hopefully the drone) out.
Good luck.

Reactions: Big Jim
Saltwater? It's done.
Buy a new one.
Saltwater' really bad in electronics.
If it truly was only "5 seconds", you might have a chance but salt is corrosive.
Get an airtight storage container. Sterilize makes them with a rubber gasket. Can find them at a Target or Walmart if you're in the states.
Buy a container of a product called Damp Rid. Can find at pretty much any hardware store.
Open up the drone completely.
Put the drone in the storage container along with the Damp Tid & close it up.
Leave it for a week.
The Damp Rid is stronger than rice & will suck all the moisture inside that box (& hopefully the drone) out.
Good luck.

It actually may power back up and you might even get some meaningful use out of it for some time. Don’t be surprised though if one day it stops working. Unless the corrosive process is neutralized it will continue doing damage even after it is dry.

I really doubt it will work. My gopro case broke and a seawalter went in. When I opened the gopro up, I saw what look like green corrosion on the battery and the circuit boards. It was like what you get on the car battery.

Has anyone used 90% Isopropyl Alcohol ? I have flushed out cordless phones and cell phones that have fallen in the lake and they are working 30 minutes later after being exposed to some warm moving air to dry out the Alcohol.

The alcohol takes out all the water and probably flushes out the salt too. Some displays can be a problem if they have layers of plastic that trap liquids.

Some plastics and cheap paints get soft with Isopropyl so its not always a no-risk solution depending on materials in the product.

Many years ago, I was employed by the USMC as an A-4 avionics tech. We had an aircraft go off the end of the runway in Alameda Ca. That is exactly what we did for the equipment that was recovered. If I recall, we rinsed with fresh water, then another rinse in IPA and allowed to air dry.

Is this “motor current error" issue a common problem? Makes me afraid to be over any kind of water now.

I have not run across it on other threads.
I just heard back from DJI and the malfunction is covered under standard warranty [emoji1360][emoji1360]

Salt water immersion is not a death sentence for a drone, but could be a costly fix depending on what the water got in to.

I fix drones every day.
That would be a dream job......

Reactions: Former Member

I've run Diesel Fuel through my ATV's oil system when it get's submerged with water (Don't ask). It works great on getting the water out.. BUT I wouldn't recommend doing this with a drone..

Reactions: DTC709
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne