DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I forgot Gimbal protective cover and turned on Mavic 2 Pro

I flew all the way across the Columbia River with the cover on once, no damage done. I felt stupid... Now I keep a rubber band around the controller so I remember to raise the antennae, and a strip of red flagging on the gimbal cover to make its presence apparent

I have a Mavic 2 Pro. I am still a beginner to fly drones. One day I turned on the Drone in my hand and put it on the floor, so I took the remote control to turn it on too. That's when I looked that I hadn't removed the Gimbal cover. Whenever I turn on the Drone, the gimbal does a calibration. I was wondering if I could have damaged my drone, I was very sad and enraged with myself, for not having looked at it.
My city is forecasting rain for the next 15 days, I will not be able to fly with Drone in this period.
Now I wonder if it could have damaged something inside that I can't find out now and it will only appear in the future.
Does anyone know what is the resistance of Gimbal?
It was only once that it happened, can I have problems with Gimbal?

Thanks for the help, and I'm sorry if I'm a little systematic.
If you attach a flag it will help you greatly. I found them on line . Don’t give up!

Attachments

• A3429371-B283-407F-8C84-E3C7D2BED90F.jpeg
    A3429371-B283-407F-8C84-E3C7D2BED90F.jpeg
    24.6 KB · Views: 68
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 65
Reactions: Robzilla
This thread needs to be pinned in the welcome new member forum. I don't think anyone can say they never done this at least twice.

Reactions: WanderDawg
Not really sure why DJI cant make the gimble cover bigger so that it doesn't interfere.
all you'll lose then is video and pic quality

Not really sure why DJI cant make the gimble cover bigger so that it doesn't interfere.
all you'll lose then is video and pic quality
The idea is to immobilize it so that it doesn’t flop around during transport and bang against the stops causing irreversible damage.

Reactions: Nicklittle135
I have a Mavic 2 Pro. I am still a beginner to fly drones. One day I turned on the Drone in my hand and put it on the floor, so I took the remote control to turn it on too. That's when I looked that I hadn't removed the Gimbal cover. Whenever I turn on the Drone, the gimbal does a calibration. I was wondering if I could have damaged my drone, I was very sad and enraged with myself, for not having looked at it.
My city is forecasting rain for the next 15 days, I will not be able to fly with Drone in this period.
Now I wonder if it could have damaged something inside that I can't find out now and it will only appear in the future.

Hi I have done the same thing with my MA and have now put hi Vis reflective tape on it to remind me to take of and it's also easier to find when you have to put it back on . I am also a novice so good luck with your flying

Quick question does the polor pro put pressure on the gimbal I read somewhere that it does what's your option looking to buy one for my zoom and the wifes mavic pro 2.Many thanks
It moves the gimbal up about 1mm. This stops unnecessary movement like in a case while traveling. I have had no problems in well over a year of use... maybe 300-350 flying days with R&R of the PP gimbal cover. Here’s a visual;

Reactions: Rattydude77
Me too... use the PolarPro. Easier for R&R. Works great.
hmmm... user reviews on Amazon for this product are concerning, though. 10/83 reviewers gave it 1 or 2 stars, all stating that it was way too tight, and either damaged the gimbal or the cover itself broke... that's enough different statements that I'm not really inclined to just hand-wave them...

It moves the gimbal up about 1mm. This stops unnecessary movement like in a case while traveling. I have had no problems in well over a year of use... maybe 300-350 flying days with R&R of the PP gimbal cover. Here’s a visual;
Awesome thank you for the video about to order a cpl.

Reactions: tesohn

Should be fine,,done it a few times, will tell you motor overload, just don’t not keep doing that big mistake, very hard on motor, but it will perform like a champ, this why I have many dji drones, bus Not the cheap mini drones thay make, Hope this lets you not to worry,,always take off gimbal Cover 1st when our of case, I use a seahorse so I do not have to unfold legs ,just remove cover and fire up smart controller,20 sec and I’m in the air

Nope , never, actually don't even know where the gimbal holder is for the MP and MPP

I only use the gimbal bracket on the P4P where the camera is more exposed and hanging loosely when the power is off
Best to use, especially when driving those back roads, on motorcycle (even in a car), to those out-of-the-way destinations.

Its Fine, I Did That A Couple Times In The Beginning Too. Did The Same As You. Got Upset With Myself, Thought I Messed Up My BRAND NEW M2P, Hundred Flights Later, Records In 4K Like A Dream. Now I Dont Even Use That Cover Anymore. I Just Leave My Drone Fully Extended All The Time. I Have An SUV, To Transporting Isn't An Issue. Just Put It In My SUV READY TO FLY ! 3 Batts, My Controller, My Reg Badge, And I’m Off ! Fly Right Out Of The Back Of My SUV, LOVE IT !

Reactions: torsen
The Mavic 2 Pro uses servo motors in the gimbal and if the cover is in place, they simply aren't strong enough to overcome the locked position the cover presents. After the calibration sequence is over, they quit trying to move the gimbal so they won't burn out or anything but still it's a good idea not to let it happen many times (I've done it at least four times now with no issues).

Be aware that the gimbal calibration wasn't done correctly so you should power down the Mavic, remove the cover, and repeat power up so a proper calibration is accomplished.

I'm also guilty of this. Thankfully, my Mavic 2 Pro suffered no ill affects. I think you'll be fine, but to set your mind at ease, perhaps take the gimbal cover off and power up the drone and ensure that it is running its calibration. Cheers.

Either get or make a preflight checklist. All airplane pilots use (or should use) them. You are a pilot. Make a checklist or use an online one. I use one that I made. I too forgot to take off the gimbal cover.

I already did this mistake at least 3 times within half a year, everything is fine by then.
Thanks guys for all the tips, I will attach a tape to it, seems the safest one.

Reactions: PS01
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada