DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I forgot Gimbal protective cover and turned on Mavic 2 Pro

Here's my version - no way you can turn the drone on when the Gimbal Guard is in place - works great! Bright yellow plastic cut out from honey pot lid.

IMG_9636.jpg
IMG_9639.jpg

Reactions: PS01
I did make this error a few times when I was new and didn't notice until I was in flight, Landed and removed cover.
I have had more than 75 flights since without problems. You should be fine.
Good to know no damage was made. I'm too scared to make the same mistake. :-/

Preflight checklist.
1. Battery
2. Gimbal cover
3. SD card
4. ND/PL filter
5. Props Health
........ and so on. I use a checklist, takes me 5 minutes but helps the mission.

I have a Mavic 2 Pro. I am still a beginner to fly drones. One day I turned on the Drone in my hand and put it on the floor, so I took the remote control to turn it on too. That's when I looked that I hadn't removed the Gimbal cover. Whenever I turn on the Drone, the gimbal does a calibration. I was wondering if I could have damaged my drone, I was very sad and enraged with myself, for not having looked at it.
My city is forecasting rain for the next 15 days, I will not be able to fly with Drone in this period.
Now I wonder if it could have damaged something inside that I can't find out now and it will only appear in the future.
Does anyone know what is the resistance of Gimbal?
It was only once that it happened, can I have problems with Gimbal?

Thanks for the help, and I'm sorry if I'm a little systematic.
[emoji23]I've done that a few times, I even FLEW my drone UP IN THE AIR before realising I hadn't removed the protective cover. I needed to land it down again. And my drone is still perfectly healthy.
Don't worry, I assure you, you'll make that mistake again. And so many other drone pilots have made this mistake. It happens A LOT to all of us. DJI KNOWS it'll happen to a lot of us, I'm sure they've made their computer able to deal with this (so it won't hurt the gimbal).
I've also forgot to reinsert my SD card after importing pics, several times. That's super facepalm. Like I'm somewhere far away and my SD card is at home [emoji2357][emoji2356]

Last edited:
An hour before I read the OP's post, I took some red ribbon and taped it to my Gimbal cover. It does not have a "Remove Before Flight" message but the ribbon will remind me. I also bought an after market Gimbal cover for my M2Z that is much easier to deal with than the DJI unit.
Update! After I installed my Red Ribbon I did the same thing again! My thought was when I pick up the drone, I'll see the ribbon. Well, the drone was on my desk and I didn't pick it up. I turned it on and once again confined the Gimbal. Now I bring the ribbon over the top and secure the end of the ribbon with the battery. It takes me a long time to outsmart me!

Preflight checklist.
1. Battery
2. Gimbal cover
3. SD card
4. ND/PL filter
5. Props Health
........ and so on. I use a checklist, takes me 5 minutes but helps the mission.
I'm a believer in Checklists and have written one for my Mavic 2. I just have to worry about casually powering up the aircraft and forgetting the Gimbal cover.

Reactions: ppporch
Update! After I installed my Red Ribbon I did the same thing again! My thought was when I pick up the drone, I'll see the ribbon. Well, the drone was on my desk and I didn't pick it up. I turned it on and once again confined the Gimbal. Now I bring the ribbon over the top and secure the end of the ribbon with the battery. It takes me a long time to outsmart me!
LOL. So it should be long ribbon over the power button.
But then my fear is to just pull off the ribbon from the power button, then immediately power on without removing the gimbal cover first [emoji1787][emoji23]

This thread needs to be pinned in the welcome new member forum. I don't think anyone can say they never done this at least twice.

Can confirm I forgot to remove mine on just the 2nd flight. Got it 30 feet in the air before I realized what I'd done. I freaked out thinking I may have broken it. Landed it. Removed cover. Of course then it said "gimbal calibration failure," so I shut it down and re-started it, was forced to update firmware again -_- , then was able to breathe a sigh of relief.

Reactions: xspwhite
I myself need to do the ribbon trick... forgot to take it off yesterday, had a few updates to do, and realized the cover was still on.... probably the 3rd time it's happened to me.... the other 2 times I went up in the air with it on.... no damage, landed right away....

Reactions: xspwhite
Seems there is great confusion on this subject. I read one post where an OP claimed leaving it on damaged the gimbal and then was denied warranty. The response given from DJI was quite concerning.

Yet on the DJI store the cover mentions it can be used in flight.

Reactions: Thomas B
Seems there is great confusion on this subject. I read one post where an OP claimed leaving it on damaged the gimbal and then was denied warranty. The response given from DJI was quite concerning.

Good pickup.
I must say that I don’t believe my M2P can do th gimbal routine that goes with powering up the drone if I leave the 2 piece cover on...... which I have not used at all in over a year, I use the PP for reasons stated elsewhere.

Reactions: fieldpivot
Good pickup.
I must say that I don’t believe my M2P can do th gimbal routine that goes with powering up the drone if I leave the 2 piece cover on...... which I have not used at all in over a year, I use the PP for reasons stated elsewhere.
Out of curiosity, I held the powered gimbal with my fingers. After 3 seconds it went into limp mode and stays in limp mode until it detects free movement. Nice!

There's not much reason to leave the guard on in flight unless you don't plan to take pictures or videos. With the cover on and the gimbal unable to compensate for craft vibration, the pictures have a great deal of instability and would produce inferior results. I know since I tried taking a photo with it on - the yellow tint tipped me off that I had forgotten to remove it (that and the fact that the preview image on my remote was jittering like crazy).

Not sure about that claim that the cover voids the warranty since it isn't mentioned anywhere in DJI's literature. Personally, I would fight a refusal by DJI to repair a gimbal if that was the cause, but with the auto servo kill, it is pretty unlikely that damage will result - more likely if one is ham fisted putting the cover on or taking it off, and the gimbal is torqued, resulting in damage.

That's the link for the mavic pro cover for the mavic pro. The mavic 2 pro has a different cover that restricts movement so it cannot be left on and properly run start up routine.

Reactions: Thomas B
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crumple