DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

i found a mavic on a hike in los angeles

I wouldn't spend too much time searching for the owner. If he didn't care enough about it to put a phone number on it then he didn't care too much about losing it. I would assume that the owner is not even registered with the FAA since there are no ID numbers on the unit, not that the FAA would help you anyway.

You could pop out the sd card and check the photos (if any) for GPS coordinates in the EXIF data, that would show where the owner has been, but still wouldn't necessarily get you a home address.

it seems to be in fine condition but it doesn't have the plastic cover over the camera. I have no use for it and want to sell it . if anyone is interested please let me know.
I’ll by it whenever you like just let me know. Thanks Ohana

I have no idea...im highly non tech...signing up to this forum is the extent of my tech capabilities
Look Up DJI customer service and call them, give them the serial number and ask them to contact the registered owner. Believe me, they know how to reach him, they can see every landing location and takeoff location the drone has ever made! He may have registered it with DJI for warranty and tech support reasons.

How about trying to find the owner first.. any data on the SD card that could potentially help locate them?
Since all drones are supposed to be registered with the FAA, there should be a registration number, perhaps under the battery. Contact the FAA with that number to find owner. Returning to owner is the right thing to do.

Reactions: getitinwriting
it seems to be in fine condition but it doesn't have the plastic cover over the camera. I have no use for it and want to sell it . if anyone is interested please let me know.
I gave Mavic my serial number to use the app. They have my ID. Would they help.

Reactions: Cheech Wizard
As others have stated, the serial number is enough for DJI to help locate the owner. If there’s anything on the SD card, it’s even easier. Selling it when you have the ability to, and have not attempted to locate the rightful owner, is essentially selling stolen goods. (Personally I’d question the ethics of offering to buy it too.)
Maybe I’m too much of a Pollyanna here but I’d encourage you to do the right thing and get it back to its owner.

Reactions: CandyMan_ZA
I’m pleased that the person who found it tried at all to locate the owner and is clearly trying to do the right thing already.
We should all thank them for their efforts! Good to know there are still a few class acts willing to try.

You also stated it's "in fine condition" which would indicate it probably hasn't been sitting there too long.
Someone spent a grand on that drone, and I'd imagine that person is pretty bummed right now.
I applaud your efforts to find the owner, but it's tempered by your immediate offer to sell it in the same post.
If you found a bike or a backpack or any other personal item, wouldn't you try and find the owner?

You also stated it's "in fine condition" which would indicate it probably hasn't been sitting there too long.
Someone spent a grand on that drone, and I'd imagine that person is pretty bummed right now.
I applaud your efforts to find the owner, but it's tempered by your immediate offer to sell it in the same post.
If you found a bike or a backpack or any other personal item, wouldn't you try and find the owner?

Actually, his original post said nothing about finding the owner, it was simply an offer to sell the drone. Kind of a bummer that some people feel the need to treat everything as a possible payday.

A good reminder to put your phone number and email address on your drone. If this owner had done that she’d have her drone back by now.

This does bring up the question- What should one do if they find a drone with no contact info on it, other than the serial #??
Will DJI help in finding the original owner, I;ve not seen or read any posts like-" We found a drone & contacted DJI who contacted the owner & we gave it back to him"!.

Actually, his original post said nothing about finding the owner, it was simply an offer to sell the drone. Kind of a bummer that some people feel the need to treat everything as a possible payday.
Exactly my point. Nowhere did I see "Has anyone heard of someone losing a Mavic in this area?" I feel sorry for the person that lost it.

A good reminder to put your phone number and email address on your drone. If this owner had done that she’d have her drone back by now.

"A good reminder to put your phone number and email address on your drone. If this owner had done that he/she might have her drone back by now."

FTFY

To bad Dji doesn’t have a way to contact owners that have lost their drones

I think when you activate the serial number is matched with a name? And if another person who buys it and activates it, will that serial number pop up somewhere else? Or would it activate at all?

Just wondering.

Reactions: Wipster
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hiinthesky