DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I have alot of explaining to do.

Kywon McCain

⭐Smooth Operator⭐
Premium Pilot
Reactions
I'm just going to get to the point. I'm just coming home from the hospital.

When I mom gave me my Mavic as my late birthday present, I thought it was another one of my toy drones I most dearly invested in.

I heard of this drone before coming off as discontinued.

When I first got it out of the box, or it's "case rather that the sellar included, it was the best scent I ever smelled in a long time.

Pulling the drone out of the box I found the drone to be somewhat heavy.

The drone came with NO instructions. Just a 4 way battery charger, a bunch of broken props, a car charger, and all of the needs and essentials.

Flying the drone I found many things.

This drone had altitude hold the same as some other toy drones I had that also had the same thing, the drone was extremely stable, very much more stable than other toy drones, especially hovering.

The drone seems to stay in one spot all by itself, even if it's windy. Something I never seen in a drone before.

The drone had just about the same range as other toy drones. I later found it to be a problem.

Viewing the drone's app, the camera seemed to not move on its pitch yaw, tilt axis, something I never saw on any drone before besides film making drones. I later found out the camera had its own bionic arm it was attached to to make it happen. It's called a gimbal.

The drone had many cameras all around it I couldn't use. I later found out this was apart of OC. Sometimes it works, sometimes it didn't.

The drone literally flies by itself when either I lose connection or the controller is off which I found was amazing.

There are many things I never realized or grasped about flying a drone of it's kind

Nothing in the package told me it was something other than a toy. It was just a drone and stuff and a bunch of trash.

I seen videos of people doing things with their mavics even Mavic 2s that apperently was illegal. Somethimg like range test for example. I tried it myself only to get a few feet. Im the videos, they surpassed way over 7km. So I fixed the range problem. This resulted in better range sending the drone distances it never got before which I thought was amazing.

Didn't really thought anything about FAA rules because I thought that stuff was for bigger drones and stuff. The only thing I was told to do was stay away from airplanes.

Had been flying toy drones my entire life, that's better than throwing rocks at cars, something I admit to doing in my life time.

I thought this form was something you talk to people to help fix your drone and issues and stuff.

One thing I noticed is that some post I make on here can be bizzare. Sometimes so bizzare people think I'm setting called an attention seeker. (Or one of those Karen's from YouTube)

And I understand. I just need help in what do do in situations I get into I never had gotten into ever since I got this lemon of a drone (what does air worthyness mean?)

Yes, I'm 16, (I was born June 8 2005) that answers the question of who ever was the meanie on one of my threads.
(Do any of you have any white ringed Mavic 1 props to spare? I only need one.)

I joined the community to make drone friend and help solve problems (and get help with them)

I hope my explanation solves everything.

AND NO GODSPEED please.

Because I just now found out that my drone goes over the weight limit by the faa, I have to admit something. I admit this with butterflies in my stomach.

My drone is not at all registered with anything.

This means every flight I had a far with my drone was illegal...

I never realized this until I seen a video from some tall looking guy called eddy ricker on YouTube. That means I can't fly until I get it registered. Something I will do once i get it fixed.

Mods, admins, please don't ban me. It's something I had to get off my chest.

I think I've seen this suggestion before, but please check out https://www.faa.gov/uas/recreational_fliers/knowledge_test_updates/
You need at least a TRUST certificate regardless of what kind of drone you fly, including "toy" drones if you fly them outside. This is about you (the pilot), regardless of what you are flying.

In addition, as you say, if your drone weighs more than .55 Lbs you need to register the drone.

Reactions: vindibona1
Godspeed is an expression of good wishes to a person starting a journey. We are all on a journey DOC. If someone wishes you godspeed its generally a positive message of support.
Oh. I see. I thought he was saying it just because. Godspeed!

• Haha
Reactions: Droniac
Can some mode or admin put this thread in the correct category if need be? Thx.

Reactions: Droniac
DOC...
Think of this as a great opportunity. Hopefully you can get your drone fixed. If you're serious about this and take the time to learn as much as you can, as you get older you will see how the knowledge you learn here bleeds into other areas. Think about it. You can learn a lot about what real pilots go through in training and practice. Your research into the rules will help give you more insight into how to do research, even legal research. If you get the camera fixed you can learn about photography and video and perhaps use that as a launch point to learn video editing (which you might be able to make a career out of). Learning about your drone will teach you how GPS can be applied beyond giving you directions on your phone. You can learn about map reading, and if you take that far enough into Google Earth you can learn about topography (the contour of the earth). I could go on and on. Much of this knowledge that you attain will be at your fingertips as you get older and try new things.

Of course you can treat your drone like a flying Xbox... Or you can grasp the opportunity to really learn stuff that will serve you as you get older.

@DOC ASMR

I've read many of your threads and watched many here try to help you with each of your different situations. There is an old saying that goes something like this; 'You can't get a drink of water through a firehose' - what this basically means is, sometimes you need to take it slow and easy. Your threads are the equivalent of trying to drink from a firehose, before one is answered and understood, you move on to the next.

I've been at this hobby for over 43 years and am still learning stuff. This hobby and all of the skillsets needed to be mastered, is far more immense than many realize, especially those that are new and perhaps on their own like you.

The best advice I could give anyone starting out as you have, is to (if possible) find someone near you with experience. Never 'try' or 'experiment' with anything - if there is something you're not fully aware of, take a moment to research or ask about it FIRST. Learn first and then fly - the alternative gets expensive.

Just as a single example - RTH. Many pilot's never fully understand how it works or even how it is configured on their own aircraft and the first time they 'try' it - may cause a crash - because they didn't take the time to understand FULLY before use. This is only one of so many subsets of operations that you will need to learn as you progress.

A last bit of advice I would offer is to change your expectations about this 'hobby', it is not something you (or anyone) is going to master watching a few videos or reading a few posts over a couple months or even years.

Judging from this thread I would suggest parking your drone for a bit and start with researching about the rules and regulations for recreational flyers - it's not so hard. Get your mind around that first and get your registration taken care of, then move on to familiarization with your specific drone and only once you have that, begin operations. You seem like a very smart young man, best of luck.

"what does air worthyness mean?" It means whether or not the aircraft is in a fit state to fly and generally means that everything is working as it should. Your drone IS an aircraft.
As an extreme example, a drone with a missing propellor blade or broken propellor blades is likely to be considered unairworthy, ditto perhaps a cracked arm.
In your case I think folks are concerned about, at least, the gimbal.
Realistically I think you should get the drone checked by a trustworthy repairer, some critical damage can be hard to spot if you do not know the drone and what is correct.
It took me 3 or 4 attempts to find all the damage that was caused when I crashed my M2Z and one bit of damage, the last one I found, was an airworthiness issue.

As an aside the "many cameras all around it" are, I think, normally referred to as "sensors" they are part of the obstacle avoidance system, I believe that the usual abbreviation for "obstacle avoidance" is "OA"

Last edited by a moderator:
As an aside the "many cameras all around it" are, I think, normally referred to as "sensors" they are part of the obstacle avoidance system, I believe that the usual abbreviation for "obstacle avoidance" is "OA"

And to DOC, the M1P only has the front sensors and downward sensors, no OA to the sides, rear or above.

Someone above posted a link to DJI resources, and this is the direct M1P manual link . . .

The manual does not come with the drones like this, just a quick start tiny unreadable print booklet, so DJI put them online.

Nice to hear it was your (wonderful) mum that probably scrimped and saved to get you this second hand start into DJI drones.
She really is a great mum.

And to DOC, the M1P only has the front sensors and downward sensors, no OA to the sides, rear or above.

Someone above posted a link to DJI resources, and this is the direct M1P manual link . . .

The manual does not come with the drones like this, just a quick start tiny unreadable print booklet, so DJI put them online.

Nice to hear it was your (wonderful) mum that probably scrimped and saved to get you this second hand start into DJI drones.
She really is a great mum.
Shes awesome and a great person alone

Godspeed is an expression of good wishes to a person starting a journey. We are all on a journey DOC. If someone wishes you godspeed its generally a positive message of support.
Thank you Dirkclod. You’re a voice of reason. I couldn’t have made statement to it better. Kind of follows suit to harassment since I’ve made no contact with him or he with me as you suggested to him in prior posts. Kinda like a mosquito. 😉

Thank you Dirkclod. You’re a voice of reason. I couldn’t have made statement to it better. Kind of follows suit to harassment since I’ve made no contact with him or he with me as you suggested to him in prior posts. Kinda like a mosquito. 😉
Thank you Chip!

"what does air worthyness mean?" It means whether or not the aircraft is in a fit state to fly and generally means that everything is working as it should. Your drone IS an aircraft.
As an extreme example, a drone with a missing propellor blade or broken propellor blades is likely to be considered unairworthy, ditto perhaps a cracked arm.
In your case I think folks are concerned about, at least, the gimbal.
Realistically I think you should get the drone checked by a trustworthy repairer, some critical damage can be hard to spot if you do not know the drone and what is correct.
It took me 3 or 4 attempts to find all the damage that was caused when I crashed my M2Z and one bit of damage, the last one I found, was an airworthiness issue.

I have a good question……as long as the drone is otherwise fine, what difference does it make if the gimbal doesn’t work right? I would love to be able to lock the gimbal in place on my M1P without damaging the gimbal.

I have a good question……as long as the drone is otherwise fine, what difference does it make if the gimbal doesn’t work right? I would love to be able to lock the gimbal in place on my M1P without damaging the gimbal.
In truth I do not know but I would worry about it causing other damage in/to the drone's electronics and or causing other problems with software. We don't know what the actual damage is nor do we know if the drone is still attempting to drive the gimbal, the latter 'worries' me.
Maybe DJI's engineers have built in safeguards to prevent such things but does any nonDJI person know.
Couple that with DOC ASMR having seen smoke, presumably from the drone, during his attempts to repair the gimbal/gimbal-cable and or testing and I think he would do better to err on the side of caution.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a good question……as long as the drone is otherwise fine

The main problem (from previous posts), the drone does have damage to an arm from a crash, the same crash that damaged the gimbal.
OP was chasing friends playing hide and seek in a forest or something.
It doesn’t lock in place properly and can fold / move in flight.
The young man can’t afford to get it repaired.
Waiting for what I feel is an inevitable post about a final crash.
It was possibly not exactly a preloved drone, bought with broken props, but the drone is certainly trying its best to maintain its airborne status.

The main problem (from previous posts), the drone does have damage to an arm from a crash, the same crash that damaged the gimbal.
OP was chasing friends playing hide and seek in a forest or something.
It doesn’t lock in place properly and can fold / move in flight.
The young man can’t afford to get it repaired.
Waiting for what I feel is an inevitable post about a final crash.
It was possibly not exactly a preloved drone, bought with broken props, but the drone is certainly trying its best to maintain its airborne status.
I am not asking if OP’s drone was safe to fly. I asked if the gimbal is the only problem why would the drone not be safe to fly.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78