DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I have made a mistake,please help me rectify it.

scooot

Reactions
Hi,
I had a couple of cheap drones and was hooked with flying them and the potential to take photos even though I am not really interested in photography.I then bought a Mavic pro and instantly fell in love with it.It was so simple to fly and it gave me endless enjoyment flying it with no issues in all the flights I had.
It came to a point when my work van needed replacing and I reluctantly decided to sell my Mavic that I hadn’t used quite as often as I would of liked,to help fund the van purchase.
I now am realising that I made a mistake parting with my beloved Mavic.So I have decided I would like another drone.
My dilemma is what to go for,the pro or air.My primary use would be just to fly and enjoy taking the odd photo and video on holiday and of the ships and river life 300 metres from my home.I don’t need to fly miles away and compactness isn’t a issue.
So to my question.Would a return to a Mavic pro be the best option or should I try something new and go for the air.
I have read a few reviews and they seem to suggest its personal preference but that’s where I’m stumped.
Cheers Scott

The Air is much easier to travel with, and while it doesn't have the range of the Pro, it sounds like that doesn't matter to you. It also has better video than the Pro (though not than the Pro 2). And it's cheaper. I'd get the Air if I were you.

Reactions: 韦马可
The Air is much easier to travel with, and while it doesn't have the range of the Pro, it sounds like that doesn't matter to you. It also has better video than the Pro (though not than the Pro 2). And it's cheaper. I'd get the Air if I were you.

The Pro and the Air are nearly the same size when they're in carriers. The only time it actually makes a difference is if you're the type to put a whole $600-700 drone in your pocket with zero protection. So, if you don't use a case is when you'll notice the size, otherwise you're saving MAYBE a few centimeters.

Video footage is slightly improved with the Air, with the downside of absolutely needing a U3 card (the pro will get away with Class 10/U1 without issues). But, it's not to the point where a regular joe will actually notice. You literally need to put the footage next to each other at the same time and compare the differences frame-by-frame. The P2 is significantly better.

Reactions: Zeke
The Air is a no-brainer for your described usage, and image quality is significantly better than the Mavic Pro (original).

The Air is approximately 2X smaller/lighter, batteries are smaller/lighter, and accessories are smaller. It also has better obstacle avoidance, built in memory, etc.

The Air in it's included hard case is still way smaller than a Pro sans-case. Depends how picky you are about that sort of thing though, everyone has different tolerances. If you use aftermarket cases, again the Air takes up about half the volume which is fantastic for traveling/hiking.

The Mavic 2 Pro is a different story (and twice as expensive), but for the ones you're looking at the Air is an easy decision, in my opinion (I made the same decision and bought the Air at the time).

There are dozens of threads on Mavic Air vs Pro if you are so inclined to do a search.

Reactions: silverdragon
If you really have enjoyed the MP and are finding ever more to do with it....but you have to sell it.....do what you must. remember, you will always carry the memories of the joy it brought you.....and as cR noted....you can get a refurb or on CL when you are overwhelmed with drone passion and you will pick up right where you left off and have to learn....less.

Reactions: charliesRig
Hi,
Thanks all for the replies and advice.The weather is changing now for the worse in the uk so I’m in no hurry to buy a new drone yet.The Mavic air does look appealing as it has all I would need.My only concern is lack of ocusync that the mavic pro has.I will buy in the new year so hopefully make a definite decision by then and may also pick up a bargain post Christmas.
Cheers Scott

Hi,
Thanks all for the replies and advice.The weather is changing now for the worse in the uk so I’m in no hurry to buy a new drone yet.The Mavic air does look appealing as it has all I would need.My only concern is lack of ocusync that the mavic pro has.I will buy in the new year so hopefully make a definite decision by then and may also pick up a bargain post Christmas.
Cheers Scott

Lacking occusync doesn't really matter unless you plan on flying beyond 4KM. There's no denying it's better, but it would never be a factor if you plan to fly within approx. 300M most of the time. If that remains your intended usage, the price premium is not worth it, in my opinion. Also since you're in the UK you will want to do the FCC "hack" (not really a hack, it's dead simple) to unlock range beyond the CE limits.

I have both and use the MP for more long range flights as the battery is good for 27 min. I use the MA for everything else as it's just handier and image quality is better.

I have both and use the MP for more long range flights as the battery is good for 27 min. I use the MA for everything else as it's just handier and image quality is better.

Hi,
What flight time do you get with the air.Dji report 21 mins but I have heard 15 mins mentioned.
Cheers

I dunno if this is appropriate to post here, so I'll just say I have a Mavic Pro/ Fly More with 4 batteries and ND Filters up for sale. Very good condition. Pmail me if interested!

I am taking the MA out today for a test run as I have only flown it 2 times so far. I am hoping to get 20 min out of the battery but will see.

I am taking the MA out today for a test run as I have only flown it 2 times so far. I am hoping to get 20 min out of the battery but will see.
Good luck and pray you have no head wind getting home. I fly for 15 min and bring it home.

15 min with a battery at 80% I ran it down to 4% so I am guessing a full battery will run 19-20 min. About 8 min less than the MP

I recently flew both the Pro and the Air for the first time. Video quality was about equal.
For me the Air is better due to being smaller and easier to carry around. As they say, the best drone is the one you have with you.

I recently flew both the Pro and the Air for the first time. Video quality was about equal.
For me the Air is better due to being smaller and easier to carry around. As they say, the best drone is the one you have with you.

. My two cents

The best Drone is the one you can fly in the weather (wind).
..........cR

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman