DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I have purposely not updated anything on the Fly App or Air2 after the Air2s came out...

VenomXts

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I haven't seen a single thing listed to help us out in the release notes.... Just want to make sure I am not missing something... and every time I fly it try's to get me to do it so asking.

Thanks

If there is anything, it's not worth the risk! Even if you were to buy an Air2S, I'd buy a separate device just for it and install the new updated app on it, to keep everything sandboxed! That way, nothing from the Air2S will ever contaminate the perfectly working Air2!

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
You mean since summer of 2020? Video zoom mode was a nice update that came later.

I haven't seen a single thing listed to help us out in the release notes.... Just want to make sure I am not missing something... and every time I fly it try's to get me to do it so asking.

Thanks
Here's the thing: it's tough to not update apps since auto-update is the easiest way to stay current on a phone. Then there is an interaction between the app and firmware versions (RC/AC), which is where problems sometimes arise. I believe that DJI doesn't always perform regression testing between (older) versions of the RC/AC firmware/software. For that reason, I always update the app and tend to update the firmware after some time has passed (and I don't see any "problem" reports).
For the record, I tend not to update firmware on a lot of CE devices (like home stereo components), but it's hard to follow the same philosophy on (modern) phone based apps.

Here's the thing: it's tough to not update apps since auto-update is the easiest way to stay current on a phone. Then there is an interaction between the app and firmware versions (RC/AC), which is where problems sometimes arise. I believe that DJI doesn't always perform regression testing between (older) versions of the RC/AC firmware/software. For that reason, I always update the app and tend to update the firmware after some time has passed (and I don't see any "problem" reports).
For the record, I tend not to update firmware on a lot of CE devices (like home stereo components), but it's hard to follow the same philosophy on (modern) phone based apps.
Those of us who have been around a while with DJI have learned that once the aircraft is working as you want it to, don't accept any further FW updates, and don't update the app or any NFZ databases. Turn off auto-update unless you like breaking all your apps! Easy isn't always best! Don't allow Apple to update your iOS either, on your flying tablet/iPhone! If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Numerous onerous restrictions have also been surreptitiously installed by DJI in app and FW updates, restricting your ability to fly, requiring DJI's permission to fly, regardless of your legal permissions from all local and federal U.S. authorities! That shiny new feature you update for may just be the bait used to lure you into more DJI restrictions! The majority of late life-cycle DJI updates just further lock down your aircraft and take away more of your control! Been there. Done that. Lessons learned, and now shared. Do as you wish. Just be aware that the decision to update is far more complex than you realize.

How true you are GadgetGuy, when I got my M2P I made a decision not to update having flown a Phantom 3 Pro I took the view that if it's not broke don't try to fix it and this view has kept me very happy never having any problems with the M2P and knowing that it's going to fly exactly the way it did the last time I flew it.

I'll tell you what it certainly makes for enjoyable flying, take care and happy flying.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
I'm running FLY 1.21 and I don't think I am missing anything except some pointer no one seems to like.

How true you are GadgetGuy, when I got my M2P I made a decision not to update having flown a Phantom 3 Pro I took the view that if it's not broke don't try to fix it and this view has kept me very happy never having any problems with the M2P and knowing that it's going to fly exactly the way it did the last time I flew it.

I'll tell you what it certainly makes for enjoyable flying, take care and happy flying.
Mavic 2 is one of the aircrafts that initially shipped with self authorizing all Blue Zones, that updates to the FW removed, along with later updates to GO 4. Unfortunately, I only have one Mavic 2 left with that feature, and it is therefore my "go to" aircraft! All my others were replaced by DJI with newer FW that requires Blue Zone unlocks from DJI everywhere! Such a pain!

I haven't updated DJIGO or firmware on my MPP since 2017. Only thing I did was apply the patch made by a forum member here that unlocked the MPP. Never update!!!!

Those of us who have been around a while with DJI have learned that once the aircraft is working as you want it to, don't accept any further FW updates, and don't update the app or any NFZ databases. Turn off auto-update unless you like breaking all your apps! Easy isn't always best! Don't allow Apple to update your iOS either, on your flying tablet/iPhone! If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Numerous onerous restrictions have also been surreptitiously installed by DJI in app and FW updates, restricting your ability to fly, requiring DJI's permission to fly, regardless of your legal permissions from all local and federal U.S. authorities! That shiny new feature you update for may just be the bait used to lure you into more DJI restrictions! The majority of late life-cycle DJI updates just further lock down your aircraft and take away more of your control! Been there. Done that. Lessons learned, and now shared. Do as you wish. Just be aware that the decision to update is far more complex than you realize.
Amen I'm at 1.3.1 I'm staying! on my ma2 it's not broke so I'm by fixing it

Reactions: Marcass Carcass
OK, since all of the "new features" since 1.3.0(FPV) and 1.4.0(air2s) are for new ACs and did nothing for MA2, I just down graded back down to 1.2.1. I use dronelink half the time anyway, to get all the new features that I can dream up...Not to mention since 1.4.0 I have had a "buggy" experience, mainly very choppy and laggy video stream.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boatdoc