DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I lost My mavic Air It was partially my fault.

Otherwise, if you’re not going back to that island, contact their community and ask them to retrieve the drone. You have nothing to lose by asking their help. Some people are nice and may be up for the challenge.
and they might fine you. drones aren't allowed in santorini.

I just don’t understand why it would go up even if I canceled auto landing and changed the Maximum flight altitude. I’m also VERY new to this I’m not sure if I stressed it enough.
Here's what your flight data looks like.
The problem was due to an unfortunate combination of two factors:
  1. Launching within the NFZ
  2. Launching before getting GPS reception
Normally 1 would not be possible as the drone would know it was in an NFZ
But because of 2, the drone did not get any position data until 16 seconds into the flight.
At 0:36.7 the drone worked out it was inside an NFZ and it was only going to come down after that.

I see. Why in my other flights on the island did I not receive the no fly zone warning and also was not forced to land? It never happened on any of the other flight I did in santorini.
Also, from what I understood in the GeoZone, the blue area is an authorized flying Zone.
Here's what your flight data looks like.
The problem was due to an unfortunate combination of two factors:
  1. Launching within the NFZ
  2. Launching before getting GPS reception
Normally 1 would not be possible as the drone would know it was in an NFZ
But because of 2, the drone did not get any position data until 16 seconds into the flight.
At 0:36.7 the drone worked out it was inside an NFZ and it was only going to come down after that.

I see. Why in my other flights on the island did I not receive the no fly zone warning and also was not forced to land? It never happened on any of the other flight I did in santorini.
Also, from what I understood in the GeoZone, the blue area is an authorized flying Zone.
Here's the message that showed up in your data: You are in a no-fly zone. Auto-landing Initiated.
Here's DJI NFZ map for the island.
Were your other flights within the blue circle?
i-sfr8LGn-XL.jpg

There’s absolutely no way I was in a no fly zone. There where tons of other pilots there. A few days later I saw someone using either a spark or Mavic I really dont want to say exactly but i could tell it was a dji product because I saw her controller as she was only about 50 feet away from me on the balcony of her building around loads of other people. I just don’t understand why it would go up even if I canceled auto landing and changed the Maximum flight altitude. I’m also VERY new to this I’m not sure if I stressed it enough. Anyways here’s link to the video I took after I saw that wonderful lady flying here. Meet Google Drive – One place for all your files

Unfortunately you are incorrect - you were in a DJI geo authorization zone, as you can see from the DJI Geo map below.

You can self-authorize to fly in those zones, as shown below, but you took off without a position lock and so you had not done that. Therefore for your aircraft, in that situation, was a no fly zone.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Rolling Drones
Thank you! I see my rookie mistake
Unfortunately you are incorrect - you were in a DJI geo authorization zone, as you can see from the DJI Geo map below.

View attachment 77040

You can self-authorize to fly in those zones, as shown below, but you took off without a position lock and so you had not done that. Therefore for your aircraft, in that situation, it was a no fly zone.

View attachment 77041

Thank you! I see my rookie mistake

Sorry you lost your drone, if you get another one, I'd recommend waiting for DJI Go4 to sound the "Home point has been set, please check it on the map" message each and every time you fly. I also like to verify the location by making sure if my drone thinks it's pointing North, that it's actually pointing North. It might mean not getting to flying for an extra minute, but that extra minutes worth waiting.

I'm sorry you have lost your drone DeanVaknin305, it sounds like a difficult situation but I'd be very reluctant to leave my drone anywhere, crashed or not, (except if it was at the bottom of the Indian Ocean but I wouldn't even be out that far)!

I am also new to droning and even though I have RC airplane blood in me and a certain level of aviation knowledge I am still very fearful of pushing my own personal boundaries. But with experience I expect I will get there eventually, but hopefully without any major crashes or losses.

I do check out the latest topics on the forum and read ones that interest me, like yours, and on occasions it's suggested that one puts up a link to their flight logs which I went on to have a look at yours, just out of interest. But it was all Greek to me!!! Sorry, no pun intended! Well, not really. I couldn't make heads or tails of it, unless I was looking at something else?!

Anyway, I'm not sure how you can go about getting your drone back or what the problem was, but I hope you either get it back and/or work out what went wrong. When I read about these types of things happening it does scare me off a bit because I'm still a rookie and have lots to learn.

I'm inclined though to agree along the lines of post #11 - something to do with the NFZ and maybe your altitude and lack of recording the home point due to lack of GPS fix. I'm sure someone is able to retrieve your drone, probably at a cost, but it's up to you how far you want to go to get it back.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do, and don't be put off by one failure. Cheers for now.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goadreams