DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I lost my new Air 2S on 15JUL due to signal lost in route to return to home.

That flight data only shows 1 second towards the end of a flight.
We don't have any data to show what happened before that, but if you post data for the previous flight record, that might explain why the drone was landing at that point.

It shows a drone making a low battery autolanding and ends with the drone still 26 feet up.
The drone may be caught in a tree?
The date/time was 15th July just after 9am

If it's the right flight, the drone was landing at 8.51067 -80.41408 you can see a picture of the location in the Phantomhelp report.

This shows the launch point for the flight and the landing point:
i-RHVCbbG-XL.jpg

And detail of the landing point:
i-pNsX6FJ.jpg

Without care/refresh I don't even know if you can replace the drone ala cart without a controller. Does anyone know if that is even possible?
Yes, there is a seller on E-bay that sells drones w/camera and gimbal only. No battery, no remote, no charger, no props. Just the drone with a camera. His current price for a replacement Air2S drone w camera is $555.00 US. I've bought from him before. The drones are brand new, inactivated, and care refresh eligible. Here is the link:

Reactions: DKnight
We don't have any data to show what happened before that, but if you post data for the previous flight record, that might explain why the drone was landing at that point.

It shows a drone making a low battery autolanding and ends with the drone still 26 feet up.

If it's the right flight, the drone was landing at 8.51067 -80.41408 you can see a picture of the location in the Phantomhelp report.

i-RHVCbbG-XL.jpg

i-pNsX6FJ.jpg
Yup, looks like the battery was too low, so the drone auto landed, never making it home. Didn't the OP notice the severely low battery level. No way, it would have made it back to the home point. This is also another reason I make my drones go up in order to get a signal. If the drone went up and the signal was reacquired, then maybe he could have flown the drone to a more accessible point before auto land initiated, a place where a walking trail, open field or road may be.

My Air 2S lost signal in its return to home. I was unable to restablish control and drone contact. I disconnected and reconnected phone and control cable in hopes of establishing a signal...negative results. I lost my new drone...just like that. I have owned three different DJI drones (Mavic Pro Plantium, Spark and Tello) prior to my Air 2S. I was excited with the purchase my Air 2S. It took me a year and a half of savings for this drone.
As others have said, the best answer will be in the flight logs. I mention it because i always look forward to the experts’ analysis of the logs: it adds to my crash avoidance knowledge. So your post and logs will help others. I hope you post them. Plz and thnx.

Reactions: MS Coast
Yes you can get the drone alone and I have to dispute your claim of only getting one claim with State Farm I have made one claim and it’s business as usual for me anyway
Interesting. My State Farm Agent told me the opposite. I had a minor crash with my Mini 2 and inquired about a claim and agent said I could file the claim but would be canceled immediately after. Perhaps she meant after the policy term expired and didn't say that specifically? It has been my understanding from others that one claim is all you get with State Farm. I'm glad that you've put in a claim and are still covered. That's good.

My point still stands, that for the cost it is worth covering for all the things that aren't covered elsewhere. And besides, no deductible. In the case of the Mini 2 if you have a fly away your deductible (in addition to the premium you've paid) would be $233. If you have the C/R coverage multiple years without a claim DJI is way ahead of the game even if they have to replace your drone. They get to sell it to you twice- for a profit. They are crafty marketers.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Yes, there is a seller on E-bay that sells drones w/camera and gimbal only. No battery, no remote, no charger, no props. Just the drone with a camera. His current price for a replacement Air2S drone w camera is $555.00 US. I've bought from him before. The drones are brand new, inactivated, and care refresh eligible. Here is the link:
I'm not seeing the Air2s on his website. Only the Air2. But assuming you can get one for $555. Can the Air2s and Mini2 share the same controller, or just the Air2? What you're telling me is that with a compatible controller from another drone I could buy one of those, absent of props and batteries, right?

I'm not seeing the Air2s on his website. Only the Air2. But assuming you can get one for $555. Can the Air2s and Mini2 share the same controller, or just the Air2? What you're telling me is that with a compatible controller from another drone I could buy one of those, absent of props and batteries, right?
OOPs. The Air2S replacement run 800.00 US. The Mini2, MavAir2, and Air2S all share the same controller. And yes, you could buy one of those other drones since your controller is compatible.

You would like the MavAir2. It's just as good and better in some ways, except it does not shoot low light conditions very well due to it's smaller CMOS sensor. Your controller and batteries will work with it.

Here is a link for an Air2S.. 800 dollars may be a little too high of a price.

i-RHVCbbG-XL.jpg

i-pNsX6FJ.jpg

Looking at the data for the first part of the flight, you flew SW and then NE, turning NNW towards home at around 10:30, with 7600 ft to get home.
There was a significant headwind at altitude (also a strong wind message and a warning that RTH might have problems).
The wind there was gusting, reducing the drone's full speed to 22-29mph.
In still air it would have been 33.5mph.
Signal was lost at 11:24.9, still 5465 feet to home.

We don't have data for what happened following that, but the drone would have begun RTH after losing signal.
As it was well above your RTH height, the drone would have stayed at the height it was at to RTH.
This was a big problem as winds up higher are stronger.

The drone will have battled against that headwind and burned up battery until low battery level forced it to commence auto descent, still 3282 feet from home.

Your drone behaved as programmed and tried to come home, but it fought a losing battle against high winds at altitude.
This could have been avoided with better flight planning and management.

Lessons that can be learned from this incident:
Always consider the wind direction and strength and how this will affect your return flight.
It's easy to fly home with a tailwind, but battling against a strong headwind can cause problems.
Fighting against high level winds is often a losing battle.
You need to get down lower where the winds are less.

Looking at the data for the first part of the flight, you flew SW and then NE, turning NNW towards home at around 10:30, with 7600 ft to get home.
There was a significant headwind at altitude (also a strong wind message and a warning that RTH might have problems).
The wind there was gusting, reducing the drone's full speed to 22-29mph.
In still air it would have been 33.5mph.
Signal was lost at 11:24.9, still 5465 feet to home.

We don't have data for what happened following that, but the drone would have begun RTH after losing signal.
As it was well above your RTH height, the drone would have stayed at the height it was at to RTH.
This was a big problem as winds up higher are stronger.

The drone will have battled against that headwind and burned up battery until low battery level forced it to commence auto descent, still 3282 feet from home.

Your drone behaved as programmed and tried to come home, but it fought a losing battle against high winds at altitude.
This could have been avoided with better flight planning and management.

Lessons that can be learned from this incident:
Always consider the wind direction and strength and how this will affect your return flight.
It's easy to fly home with a tailwind, but battling against a strong headwind can cause problems.
Fighting against high level winds is often a losing battle.
You need to get down lower where the winds are less.
Yeah, pilot error...thx.

Did you look at autoland coordinates provided? Or was that a different flight?
Sorry for your loss (expensive lesson) but might help someone else avoid the same.

Did you look at autoland coordinates provided? Or was that a different flight?
Sorry for your loss (expensive lesson) but might help someone else avoid the same.
AutoLand cooridinates? Are they stored somewhere after an autolanding? I'm asking for future reference, in case I ever have this happen to me. I haven't had an issue or lost a drone in 2 years now. But when I first started, I had plenty of surprises and a couple lost drones, due to my own lack of experience.

OOPs. The Air2S replacement run 800.00 US. The Mini2, MavAir2, and Air2S all share the same controller. And yes, you could buy one of those other drones since your controller is compatible.

You would like the MavAir2. It's just as good and better in some ways, except it does not shoot low light conditions very well due to it's smaller CMOS sensor. Your controller and batteries will work with it.

Here is a link for an Air2S.. 800 dollars may be a little too high of a price.
Thanks. At $800 it makes little sense as you can get the whole thing with propellers and battery for $1000 which would cost you that much after adding on the extras. I have a M2P so the MA2 doesn't make any sense for me. But the slightly smaller Air2s has some appeal... except if I get another drone I will be strongly leaning to one (non DJI of course) that doesn't geofence. The number of times I've been geofenced out of areas that I should not have and a few of the spoiled flights that I've experience on site is enough to make me at least have an alternative. I'm thinking about one of the Autel Evo II's. I'm waiting to see what happens with the parts shortage they're experiencing where old and new drone/controllers are not cross compatible.

Thanks. At $800 it makes little sense as you can get the whole thing with propellers and battery for $1000 which would cost you that much after adding on the extras. I have a M2P so the MA2 doesn't make any sense for me. But the slightly smaller Air2s has some appeal... except if I get another drone I will be strongly leaning to one (non DJI of course) that doesn't geofence. The number of times I've been geofenced out of areas that I should not have and a few of the spoiled flights that I've experience on site is enough to make me at least have an alternative. I'm thinking about one of the Autel Evo II's. I'm waiting to see what happens with the parts shortage they're experiencing where old and new drone/controllers are not cross compatible.
I own 2 Autel EVO2 Aircraft. One with a 6k 1inch camera and one with an 8k camera. I sold my mavic 2 pro and mavic 2 zoom and bought the EVO2 V1s because of the GEO fencing issue, lower altitude limit, 4k limit, no digital zoom and less battery life. With DJI, no internet equals no flying in restricted airspace because the DJI app needs to clear you first. And it's just plane annoying. The altitude restriction for DJI is1600ft versus the 2600ft autel allows. Mountainous regions require I higher altitude limit when starting from the bottom of the mountain and you want to fly up the side to the top. I also traded up my Mav Air 2 to the Air2S because I wanted the 1inch sensor for improved low light filming and the continued convenience of a smaller lighter drone for travel. The Autels take much better video than the MavPro2 and Zoom. They don't fly as stable, but they have flight modes that are very stable and the gimbals compensate making the video stability equal too that of a DJI.. The EVO2s flight time is at least 10 minutes longer than the air2s and the Mav2 drones.

Unless the Mavic 3 isn't significantly superior to the EVO2s I'm not going to buy one. The battery life would need to be a little longer, speed the same or greater, and they would have to shoot in 8k with a 1 inch or larger cmos sensor. Even if the Mav 3s have these things I will still hesitate to buy due to the altitude limit and the forced geofencing. I would wait for Autel's next thing. Even though that won't happen for years. But I heard from an executive announcement Autel wants to get into the Sub 250gram market and the gap between their EVO2s and the Dragon Fish, like DJI Inspire and Matrice.

Regarding the V1 and V2 chip issue, the chips are the same in power and capability, just made by a different manufacturer. Autel couldn't get enough V1 chips from the 1st manufacture so they went with a new manufacturer. The Smart Controllers Coming out will be Made with V1 chips and V2 chips. The buyer just has to match the drone chip to the controller chip. Since I have 2 V1s I might consider getting a V1 smart controller, but I want to see what the ever illusive Mavic 3 will offer before I make any major drone or accessory purchases.

The other issue with having a v1 chip and a v2 chip: Autel wants their Smart Controller to be compatible with future products. I have a suspicion only the V2 chips are going to be compatible with future products. That's another reason I may not buy a V1 smart controller, unless I hear otherwise.

Reactions: vindibona1
I own 2 Autel EVO2 Aircraft. One with a 6k 1inch camera and one with an 8k camera. I sold my mavic 2 pro and mavic 2 zoom and bought the EVO2 V1s because of the GEO fencing issue, lower altitude limit, 4k limit, no digital zoom and less battery life. With DJI, no internet equals no flying in restricted airspace because the DJI app needs to clear you first. And it's just plane annoying. The altitude restriction for DJI is1600ft versus the 2600ft autel allows. Mountainous regions require I higher altitude limit when starting from the bottom of the mountain and you want to fly up the side to the top. I also traded up my Mav Air 2 to the Air2S because I wanted the 1inch sensor for improved low light filming and the continued convenience of a smaller lighter drone for travel. The Autels take much better video than the MavPro2 and Zoom. They don't fly as stable, but they have flight modes that are very stable and the gimbals compensate making the video stability equal too that of a DJI.. The EVO2s flight time is at least 10 minutes longer than the air2s and the Mav2 drones.

Unless the Mavic 3 isn't significantly superior to the EVO2s I'm not going to buy one. The battery life would need to be a little longer, speed the same or greater, and they would have to shoot in 8k with a 1 inch or larger cmos sensor. Even if the Mav 3s have these things I will still hesitate to buy due to the altitude limit and the forced geofencing. I would wait for Autel's next thing. Even though that won't happen for years. But I heard from an executive announcement Autel wants to get into the Sub 250gram market and the gap between their EVO2s and the Dragon Fish, like DJI Inspire and Matrice.

Regarding the V1 and V2 chip issue, the chips are the same in power and capability, just made by a different manufacturer. Autel couldn't get enough V1 chips from the 1st manufacture so they went with a new manufacturer. The Smart Controllers Coming out will be Made with V1 chips and V2 chips. The buyer just has to match the drone chip to the controller chip. Since I have 2 V1s I might consider getting a V1 smart controller, but I want to see what the ever illusive Mavic 3 will offer before I make any major drone or accessory purchases.

The other issue with having a v1 chip and a v2 chip: Autel wants their Smart Controller to be compatible with future products. I have a suspicion only the V2 chips are going to be compatible with future products. That's another reason I may not buy a V1 smart controller, unless I hear otherwise.
Thanks, that's pretty enlightening regarding the Evo 2 Pro. That's one drone I may end up pulling the trigger on buying, regardless of how long it's been around. It's intrigued me for a while.

I own 2 Autel EVO2 Aircraft....They don't fly as stable, but they have flight modes that are very stable and the gimbals compensate making the video stability equal too that of a DJI.. The EVO2s flight time is at least 10 minutes longer than the air2s and the Mav2 drones.
Can you be more specific about flight stability? What does that mean to you exactly, so how do the "flight modes" compensate. I know very little about Evos beyond the fabulous images and longer flight times. For me, geofencing is the #1 reason why I'd consider and Evo II before a Mavic 3 or whatever they call it.

AutoLand cooridinates? Are they stored somewhere after an autolanding? I'm asking for future reference, in case I ever have this happen to me. I haven't had an issue or lost a drone in 2 years now. But when I first started, I had plenty of surprises and a couple lost drones, due to my own lack of experience.
In the flight logs. Can be read in Airdata. The location was shown in a previous post.#21

I had a minor crash with my Mini 2 and inquired about a claim and agent said I could file the claim but would be canceled immediately after. Perhaps she meant after the policy term expired and didn't say that specifically? It has been my understanding from others that one claim is all you get with State Farm.

Standard procedure for a normal policy on an item (motor vehicle, home, personal property).
Once an item is lost for good / written off, the policy has been fulfilled and policy cover is then complete and policy is void from the date of incident / payout.

The flight data is full of useful information.
I gave the coordinates for the point 20 feet below the drone as it was autolanding.

Standard procedure for a normal policy on an item (motor vehicle, home, personal property).
Once an item is lost for good / written off, the policy has been fulfilled and policy cover is then complete and policy is void from the date of incident / payout.
That is the best explanation I've heard on the issue. Does that apply to damage from a crash, or just loss through fly-away or theft?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31