DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I lost my new Air 2S on 15JUL due to signal lost in route to return to home.

DKnight

Reactions
My Air 2S lost signal in its return to home. I was unable to restablish control and drone contact. I disconnected and reconnected phone and control cable in hopes of establishing a signal...negative results. I lost my new drone...just like that. I have owned three different DJI drones (Mavic Pro Plantium, Spark and Tello) prior to my Air 2S. I was excited with the purchase my Air 2S. It took me a year and a half of savings for this drone.

Sounds like your drone did what it was suppose to do which was to return home . Where on the controller does it say the drone landed ? You can check this in the map using find my drone or in the profile .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain and Land on the water.

Did you set up the RTH parameters for the flight you were conducting (I.e. the height) taking into account the height of the trees and building in between and also the change in ground height? How many satellites was it connected to before you lost it?
Is it possible some external factor caused the loss of signal (such at something traumatic happening to the drone). Technical failure is a possibility with any equipment but all other possibilities need ruling out first such as idiotic wildlife and malicious gunslingers.
Did you try the “find my drone” feature to get a rough idea where it came down? Always worth a shot (pardon the pun).

Reactions: projectarjun
Drop signal...
I hate to say it but it sounds like something took it down. Either a collision (bird, tree, building etc) or something has hit it. Depending on the nature of where you were flying different things are most likely. Near me shotguns and geese are the main culprits. If it was returning before signal loss then you would expect something out of the ordinary has happened to it. DJI drones have all sort of safety features. They can even sense if the battery is properly clicked in (I’ve one battery with a bent connector I have to get a pair of pliers to before it’ll let me take off). When signal is lost there is usually some warning sign such as the recieved image momentarily sticking a couple of times first, did this happen or just a sudden total connection loss?
Sorry your drones gone. Would there be any way you could return to the flight area and follow as direct a route as possible between the last known place you know the drone was at and your base of transmission? RTH follows a straight “as the crow flies” path so you know where it would have had to go over. Just a suggestion.

Did you set up the RTH parameters for the flight you were conducting (I.e. the height) taking into account the height of the trees and building in between and also the change in ground height? How many satellites was it connected to before you lost it?
Is it possible some external factor caused the loss of signal (such at something traumatic happening to the drone). Technical failure is a possibility with any equipment but all other possibilities need ruling out first such as idiotic wildlife and malicious gunslingers.
Did you try the “find my drone” feature to get a rough idea where it came down? Always worth a shot (pardon the pun).
Thx for responding...I have flown this route several times with the new Air 2S and numerous times with my Mavic Pro Plantium over the two years. Find my drone failed to connect to drone. After several more attempts with rth, I received a no battery symbol on control for drone. Spent two days going to possible location based off of last flight record. I also received and tracked a different location from DJI Fly app google coordinates.

I hate to say it but it sounds like something took it down. Either a collision (bird, tree, building etc) or something has hit it. Depending on the nature of where you were flying different things are most likely. Near me shotguns and geese are the main culprits. If it was returning before signal loss then you would expect something out of the ordinary has happened to it. DJI drones have all sort of safety features. They can even sense if the battery is properly clicked in (I’ve one battery with a bent connector I have to get a pair of pliers to before it’ll let me take off). When signal is lost there is usually some warning sign such as the recieved image momentarily sticking a couple of times first, did this happen or just a sudden total connection loss?
Sorry your drones gone. Would there be any way you could return to the flight area and follow as direct a route as possible between the last known place you know the drone was at and your base of transmission? RTH follows a straight “as the crow flies” path so you know where it would have had to go over. Just a suggestion.
My son mention to me yesterday, that his drone started going nuts with broken signal and gimbal spinning in that same area, and he avoided going into the area again.

It really sucks but my guess would be those possibilities I have stated. I know where I live shot down drones have a tendency to be kept almost as trophies. The local game farm encourages their staff to shoot any down as they don’t want footage of their operation being shared.

My son mention to me yesterday, that his drone started going nuts with broken signal and gimbal spinning in that same area, and he avoided going into the area again.
Right. In that case it might be something to do with the radio signal. Someone may be using an illegal equipment such as a linear amplifier or such. In which case the drone may get confused if it’s either receiving conflicting signals or just overloaded.

My Air 2S lost signal in its return to home. I was unable to restablish control and drone contact. I disconnected and reconnected phone and control cable in hopes of establishing a signal...negative results. I lost my new drone...just like that. I have owned three different DJI drones (Mavic Pro Plantium, Spark and Tello) prior to my Air 2S. I was excited with the purchase my Air 2S. It took me a year and a half of savings for this drone.
If you are looking for help or an explanation for the event then you will need to post the flight log.

@DKnight
Did you have Care/refresh coverage?
They offer reasonable fly away coverage for the Air2s. State Farm, if you're in the US is even better cheaper, but you only get one strike for a claim then you're canceled. But the State Farm coverage includes loss, damage, theft for the controller and accessories as well as the bird itself. I carry both DJI and State Farm. The SF insurance total for my M2P and Mini2 is all of $60 for the year. No deductible, but again, one claim and you're out. Without care/refresh I don't even know if you can replace the drone ala cart without a controller. Does anyone know if that is even possible?

@DKnight
They offer reasonable fly away coverage for the Air2s. State Farm, if you're in the US is even better cheaper, but you only get one strike for a claim then you're canceled. But the State Farm coverage includes loss, damage, theft for the controller and accessories as well as the bird itself. I carry both DJI and State Farm. The SF insurance total for my M2P and Mini2 is all of $60 for the year. No deductible, but again, one claim and you're out. Without care/refresh I don't even know if you can replace the drone ala cart without a controller. Does anyone know if that is even possible?
Hi thanks for responding...negative to DJI care/refresh. I didn't know anything about it until yesterday. My insurance only covers liability ($160 annually) for my Air 2S and Mavic Pro Plantium.

Losing signal doesn't cause loss of a drone, it initiates RTH.
Losing a drone causes a loss of signal message to show on your screen.
If you are looking for answers, instead of having people make uninformed guesses, post your flight data so the actual cause of the incident might be identified, or some potential causes might be eliminated.

Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
That will give you a detailed report of the flight.
Come back and post a link to the report it gives you.
Or .. just post the txt file here.

Right. In that case it might be something to do with the radio signal. Someone may be using an illegal equipment such as a linear amplifier or such. In which case the drone may get confused if it’s either receiving conflicting signals or just overloaded.
At worst, interference might swamp the control signal and initiate RTH.
As the drone was already in RTH, that wouldn't be an issue.

Reactions: hiflyer201
@DKnight
Yes you can get the drone alone and I have to dispute your claim of only getting one claim with State Farm I have made one claim and it’s business as usual for me anyway

Losing signal doesn't cause loss of a drone, it initiates RTH.
Losing a drone causes a loss of signal message to show on your screen.
If you are looking for answers, instead of having people make uninformed guesses, post your flight data so the actual cause of the incident might be identified, or some potential causes might be eliminated.

Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
That will give you a detailed report of the flight.
Come back and post a link to the report it gives you.
Or .. just post the txt file here.

I set my RTH to 400ft on all my drones, not to just avoid objects, but to get the signal back when it reaches this altitude. The higher a drone goes, to a point, the better signal you get. So for me, instead of returning home, my drone just goes up, I get the signal back, cancel RTH, then continue my mission, if the signal is still strong enough. At that altitude it will also make it harder for anybody to shoot it down. But that's something I don't need to worry about.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odofi