DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I need the hard truth about DJI geo fence. This will determine the drone I buy.

Cosmo SIX5

Reactions
First you can check my zip code.44904. DJI says there are several airports that simply don't exist around me. I'm way past 10 miles from the only airport close to me Mansfield Lahm/Air Guard base next to it. The main reason I'm in for Mavic 2 OR Evo is their size. Portability. Getting it out and seeing a message that I can't use it is not something I want to see. This factor has me really considering Evo that has less bells and lollys but unlimited common sense freedom. I want the Mavic 2 Pro Camera..... The all ways collision detection.. But none of that matters if it stays in the case...... Nothing worth taking pics of in there.(I looked)

Reactions: Flycaster
First you can check my zip code.44904. DJI says there are several airports that simply don't exist around me. I'm way past 10 miles from the only airport close to me Mansfield Lahm/Air Guard base next to it. The main reason I'm in for Mavic 2 OR Evo is their size. Portability. Getting it out and seeing a message that I can't use it is not something I want to see. This factor has me really considering Evo that has less bells and lollys but unlimited common sense freedom. I want the Mavic 2 Pro Camera..... The all ways collision detection.. But none of that matters if it stays in the case...... Nothing worth taking pics of in there.(I looked)
Please don't slam the evo here. I am aware the Mavic is the all round better flyer. Thanks.

Looking at ZIP code 44904 on DJI's Fly Safe web site, it looks like you are all clear except for a few correctional facilities. What airports do you see?

This factor has me really considering Evo that has less bells and lollys but unlimited common sense freedom. I want the Mavic 2 Pro Camera...(I looked)

"common sense freedom" Then is purchase is a no brainer, Evo. Make sure the camera you want fits your needs, take DSLRs for instance. Many many people shoot with say a half cropped sensor and produce spectacular imagery, and they are those that shoot with a full frame sensor. Does is make them a better shooter/editor? Are the results 100, 50, 20% (to you) better for a full frame? If common sense freedom is more "valuable" to you than the percentage of a larger sensor, the choice is simple. Glad this is not a Canon vs Nikon thread, tho I'm still very happy with my D750!

Hope weeding through the weeds helped

Reactions: Lastrexking
"common sense freedom" Then is purchase is a no brainer, Evo. Make sure the camera you want fits your needs, take DSLRs for instance. Many many people shoot with say a half cropped sensor and produce spectacular imagery, and they are those that shoot with a full frame sensor. Does is make them a better shooter/editor? Are the results 100, 50, 20% (to you) better for a full frame? If common sense freedom is more "valuable" to you than the percentage of a larger sensor, the choice is simple. Glad this is not a Canon vs Nikon thread, tho I'm still very happy with my D750!

Hope weeding through the weeds helped
Take it easy. I'm new that's why I'm asking the question. The problems with geo fence could be all internet fake news. Or it could be seriously an issue. I don't know.

I can certainly attest to the geo fence being a pain in the rear. I live about two nautical miles from an airport and inside the takeoff/landing pattern. The UAS facility map allowed up to 100 ft. When I got my drone and until recently, I was allowed to take off. Now my neighborhood is a no-fly zone.

I work with some manned pilots and being a Part 107-licensed pilot, I understand the restrictions. I had to get an airspace use authorization and a custom unlock.

Can I fly with a different app and not deal with no fly zones?
You will still have the NFZ database on the AC. Test by flying with only the RC connected. If it flies ok, a different app will do the trick.

Can I fly with a different app and not deal with no-fly zones?
Try doing a google search and you will find what you're looking for as far as an anti-NFZ app. it's out there and it works. I own a farm next to an OLF and have to deal with it all the time.

The blue shaded DJI GeoZone for Mansfield Lahm Regional Airport pretty much coincides with the 0 ft FAA authorization zones for the approach-departure ends of the airport's 05-23 runway, with the GeoZone adding about a .75 mile extension to the FAA 0 ft grids along while being slightly wider at the ends. I'm guessing this is the runway utilized by the C-130s as it has direct access to the Air National Guard ramp. With the exception of the approx. .75 mile extended area of the blue shaded GeoFence, you likely won;t be flying in that area anyway considering its 0 ft altitude restriction. The remaining FAA authorization grids run from 150' to 400' with LAANC being available for the airport.

If your flying locations are located 10 miles from the airport, you're well outside the Class D airspace associated with the airport as well as the DJI GeoZone "extension." Regardless of which drone you fly, you have to be concerned with the relatively small restricted airspaces associated with prisons, etc.

I'm a newbie and maybe don't understand the issue discussed here. I live 5 miles from Dulles airport and 10 miles from the wide DC restricted zone. Plus, have 3 hospitals nearby and National Parks. So, my research led me to the FAA.gov website and this:

I use B4YFLY and DroneZone. They clearly and distinctly show you real-time where it's legal to fly. I've noticed the Dulles zone seems to change around a bit.

Obtain authorization before flying in controlled airspace (Class B, C, D, and E). You can obtain authorization in three ways:
  1. LAANC
  2. DroneZone
  3. A written agreement with the FAA for fixed flying sites. For more information about fixed flying sites, contact us at [email protected].

NOTE: Flying drones in certain airspace is not allowed. Classes of airspace and flying restrictions can be found on our B4UFLY app.

Reactions: jmbsmt63
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AR9925