DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I Pad Air 5 th Generation as Controller

AerialsRus

Reactions
Presently using I Phone. Screen is small and considering larger purchasing an I Pad Air 5 th Generation. This was recommended to me by an Apple Store employee. Has anyone done this and what type of results and what type of controller holder is needed. The screen is 9.7 inches.

Last edited:
Reactions: AerialsRus
The Ipad 5th generation works perfectly, it has enough cpu and gpu power to handle DJI Go 4 easily, if you get celluar you can have real time mapping etc.

Reactions: AerialsRus
Since you'll need a tablet mount, why not just get the iPad Pro? Yes, it's more, but it's also a significantly more powerful tablet. The A10X is multiple times faster than the Air 2.

If I purchase and use a seperate tablet, is it necessary to add the tablet to my cellular account
No. You do not have to activate the cellular service if you purchase a cellular model.

Ok I will look into it. do you think these mounts will be capable of holding? What is screen size for I Pro pad?
The iPad Pro is 10.5 inches, but it achieves most of that by having a much narrower bezel, especially on the sides. It's noticeably taller, but barely wider than the 9.7-inch iPad Air that I was replacing. It will fit in all those holders just fine.

An added bonus: The screen is much brighter --- 600 nits versus 415 nits, and it has an anti-glare screen. I still use a sun shade with it, but it's much easier to see in bright sunlight.

And the processor is more than fast enough to edit and render 4K video.

Last edited:
This is a comparison of the ipad screens, from left to right clockwise each at full brightness

Ipad 5th Gen
Ipad pro 10.5
Ipad Mini 4
DJI Crystalsky Ultra Bright

There is not a material brightness between the ipads, they are all pretty much the same from my point of view. the specs show the Ipad Pro as being brighter 600 nits vs 500 nits (Ipad 5th gen) and it is , it has a bigger screen and faster processor but I'm not sure if its justified at nearly twice the price

ipad brightness - Copy.jpg

There is not a material brightness between the ipads, they are all pretty much the same from my point of view.
In December I upgraded from the original iPad Air to the iPad Pro and have used both to fly my Mavic Pro and I can tell you the iPad Pro is definitely, noticeably brighter.

Yes, the Crystal Sky is the brightest, and if you are either rolling in disposable income or you're using your drone to make a living, it would justify the cost. But it is a dedicated device good only for flying a drone. At least with an iPad you have a multi-use device that's good for a lot of other purposes.

In December I upgraded from the original iPad Air to the iPad Pro and have used both to fly my Mavic Pro and I can tell you the iPad Pro is definitely, noticeably brighter.

Yes, the Crystal Sky is the brightest, and if you are either rolling in disposable income or you're using your drone to make a living, it would justify the cost. But it is a dedicated device good only for flying a drone. At least with an iPad you have a multi-use device that's good for a lot of other purposes.

^^^^^this^^^^^ I use a first gen ipad air with no problems. I am thinking about the ipad pro, but I am betting a new model is going to drop shortly, so I am going to wait! :D

If you put a hood on them , they are all bright enough

^^^^^this^^^^^ I use a first gen ipad air with no problems. I am thinking about the ipad pro, but I am betting a new model is going to drop shortly, so I am going to wait! :D
The current iPad Pro came out in June. Apple's release schedule on iPads is kind of all over the place at this point, so who knows when they'll refresh the lineup.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78