DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 3 RC-N2 vs RC2 & Ocusync question...

AirBoudreaux

Reactions
So I just purchased the Air 3 Fly more and I went with the RC-N2 controller instead of the RC 2. Main reason being that I currently use my 10th generation I-pad with my Air 2S and wanted to continue to use it as it is a much bigger screen.

My question is though since the RC-N2 doesn't have the external antennas, will the Ocusync 4.0 "suffer" for lack of a better term? Or will it perform the same? Has anyone noticed a big difference? I have never had an issue with the Air 2S but then again, Ive never had a job require me to fly further than 2/3 of a mile either....

Are there any other features on the RC 2 that I will be missing out on?

Last edited:
Reactions: Paul Harvey
I never liked those "RC PRO copies" the screens arn't good I.M.O. and you can't use an external monitor. They are WAY less versatile than the RC-N1 style.
For the ranges you state you would not have a problem that I couldn't see any other Radio having.
There will always be range extenders made and even though they look cheap they actually work really well.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Found a video that answers my question. The RC-N2 that comes with the Air 3 is upgraded with 2 transmitters now instead of one, allowing it to support ocusync 4.0

RC-N2 supports Ocusync 4.0

Found a video that answers my question. The RC-N2 that comes with the Air 3 is upgraded with 2 transmitters now instead of one, allowing it to support ocusync 4.0

RC-N2 supports Ocusync 4.0
There is a reason DJI moved the antennas back outside on the DJI RC2. It improves signal strength for greater stability. The antennas on the RC-N2 are also external, but are in the fixed bar at the end of the device mount, which is almost as good, but the separate external antennas that can be adjusted are still better.

However, you may regret not getting the DJI RC2 for a very different reason. The RC-N1 cannot simultaneously zoom and change the gimbal elevation without taking a hand off the sticks to touch the screen to zoom awkwardly with your finger, because it only has one scroll wheel, unlike the DJI RC2, which has two.

If you only shoot stills, this might not matter to you. However, if you shoot video, and want include any digital zoom into a manual cinematic move requiring hands on both sticks, you are out of luck with the RC-N2.

However, you may regret not getting the DJI RC2 for a very different reason. The RC-N1 cannot simultaneously zoom and change the gimbal elevation without taking a hand off the sticks to touch the screen to zoom awkwardly with your finger, because it only has one scroll wheel, unlike the DJI RC2, which has two.
I do mostly video and as long as I still have the ability to hold the Fn button down and zoom with the wheel, I'm good. Took me a while to figure that out with the Air 2S, so I know exactly the awkward movement you are talking about. Guess it would be nice to be able to pitch the gimbal down as well, but that isn't worth the extra $200 for me.

I do mostly video and as long as I still have the ability to hold the Fn button down and zoom with the wheel, I'm good. Took me a while to figure that out with the Air 2S, so I know exactly the awkward movement you are talking about. Guess it would be nice to be able to pitch the gimbal down as well, but that isn't worth the extra $200 for me.
Understood. It is less of an issue when the zoom is only digital and only 3x, as on the Air 3. On the Mavic 3, it is up to 28x in Explore mode, and zooming always requires adjusting the gimbal to keep the subject in the frame, unless it was square in the middle to start, which makes for a rather dull framing, if following the rule of thirds for best composition. Hence, the RC Pro, and the DJI RC which added back the second scroll wheel.

Keep in mind that if the RC2 has the same inability to run 3rd party apps as the RC1, only the RC-N2 would give that 3rd party app ability if and when DJI MSDK support for a device becomes available.