DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

i pad mini 5 overheated.

Dirby

Reactions
i took out the ma2 to test the new firmware updates today.
got every thing going and took off .
after about 2 minutes the tablet went blank and a message popped up.
tablet over heating and must be shut down emergency.
i just kept flying with nothing showing on the tablet screen.
it was 92 degrees out and when i touched the tablet it was hot.
direct sunlight.
when i got home i set everything on the table and a couple of hours later i tried the tablet and it seemed to work just fine.
i down loaded the video and all of it was there from takeoff to landing looked great.
anybody else ever have this problem.

Common problem for mini’s.
Most of the mini’s don’t like heat. I deal with it more than I like where I am.
October is coming!

Common problem for mini’s.
Most of the mini’s don’t like heat. I deal with it more than I like where I am.
October is coming!
it seemed to bounce right back and works great.

As soon as they cool down, all is good. I’ve learned to keep them as cool as possible prior to use when it’s hot outside. Early morning and nighttime for me this time of year.

Definitely completely shade the iPad Mini when flying in direct sun in 90°+ ambient temperatures! All iPads become unreliable at 95° and above, and direct sunlight on a screen in 92° heat will definitely exceed that!

I run two mini's - 2 & 4 in my full-scale airplane. Both overheat if parked in sunlight. When they cool down everything is Jake again...

I highly recommend the *metal* cases for iPads that will end up being used outdoors in the heat for any length of time. You can put the case in the freezer and chill the heck out of it before going out. Just watch out for condensation.

Reactions: StubbornSwiss
I highly recommend the *metal* cases for iPads that will end up being used outdoors in the heat for any length of time. You can put the case in the freezer and chill the heck out of it before going out. Just watch out for condensation.
Sounds like a good idea.

Any recommendations?

Sounds like a good idea.

Any recommendations?

Not off the top of my head - I have a metal case for a larger iPad, but it's not actually mine... contract work. I'm sure there are a few out there for the iPad mini, though.

If that's not sufficient, there *are* active-cooling "rugged" cases for iPads, typically made for use in an actual cockpit. Haven't used one of those, but I've seen them marketed.

Reactions: StubbornSwiss
common problem with I pads in aircraft. I've never had the problem with my Iphone on a suction cup mount facing me. I've heard it explained that it is more the sun hitting the screen than the actual heat. It's recommended to not place the ipad in you lap or the right seat. I've had Ipads overheat in flight on a pretty cool days.
My Iphone dims with high GPU usage on a warm day. There is nothing you can do about making it brighter.

To avoid overheating, with tablet, aircraft fly, in the evening hours Around 6:00 pm, I also keep a laser temp handy to check temp of aircraft, tablet. Especially in temps around 90 degrees or so.

I really do not like being out when it is so hot but I did test out my cover that Hummingbird gave me plans for.
I seem to help but like I said I did not stay out long enough for either the tablet or me to overheat.
IMG_20200714_074432.jpg

created a thread about this a couple of months ago. mini does not do well in direct sunlight. when it happened to me like a dummy i freaked out and didnt even think about controlling it and it was out about 6500' so i just hit the rth button and sure enough it came back and landed within a foot of where i took off from.

Also have experienced the issue with my iPhone. Devices are susceptible to direct sun.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31