DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

iPad Mini 5 Overheat!

StubbornSwiss

FAA Registered
Premium Pilot
Reactions
Flew the Mavic Air 2 around mid day today, using the iPad Mini 5. Outside air temperature: 90° F.

Was recording in 2.7K / 30fps. After about 12 minutes flight time, started having issues with the screen frozen/not responding (yes, I was VLOS).

As I got the drone back to me, I got the screen warning shown in the attached image....

iPad Overheat.PNG

Of course, I landed shut everything down and came indoors to let it all cool off.

As an aside, I also later notice (using AirData) that the battery I was using had reached the highest recorded temperature of any of my batteries: 121.1° F.

Just thought I would share this.

Stay safe everyone, and Happy 4th!!

Reactions: pelagic_one
Had the same issue with black iPad mini 2 flying in over 100* F
I got a phone cooling fan on Amazon and velcroed it to the hot-spot on the mini 2. That plus staying in shade helped a LOT.

VIVISKY Portable Phone Fan 3 in 1 Phone Cooling Fan Power Bank Stand Holder Suitable for Any Smart Phone Tablet (White) Amazon.com: VIVISKY Portable Phone Fan 3 in 1 Phone Cooling Fan Power Bank Stand Holder Suitable for Any Smart Phone Tablet (White)

Have since been using a mini 5, white, and haven’t needed the fan.

Mavic batteries get very hot in these conditions and take a long time to cool off. Out in the desert on UTV’s shade is our only option for battery cooling.

Last edited:
Stay in shade when you fly if you can. If you’re getting direct sunlight on the screen, it becomes a solar panel, becoming extremely hot. The drone itself can withstand a bit more out in direct sunlight because it has constant air circulating over and around it.

Flew the Mavic Air 2 around mid day today, using the iPad Mini 5. Outside air temperature: 90° F.

Was recording in 2.7K / 30fps. After about 12 minutes flight time, started having issues with the screen frozen/not responding (yes, I was VLOS).

As I got the drone back to me, I got the screen warning shown in the attached image....

View attachment 106720

Of course, I landed shut everything down and came indoors to let it all cool off.

As an aside, I also later notice (using AirData) that the battery I was using had reached the highest recorded temperature of any of my batteries: 121.1° F.

Just thought I would share this.

Stay safe everyone, and Happy 4th!!
As mentioned above, this is a common issue with iOS devices. The best you can do from a settings standpoint is to have no other apps running in the background, and turn off video caching in the Fly App. This puts less stress on the iPad's CPU.

Stay in shade when you fly if you can. If you’re getting direct sunlight on the screen, it becomes a solar panel, becoming extremely hot. The drone itself can withstand a bit more out in direct sunlight because it has constant air circulating over and around it.

I know a sun hood can help with glare. I wonder if it would also be beneficial with keeping the iPad itself a bit cooler.

Thoughts?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geser